Shirley Jackson

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Shirley Jackson

Post by Judith Crabb »

On Stephen King's recommendation in his fascinating 'Danse Macabre', a look at Horror in film and book in the latter part of last century, I have just finished reading 'The Haunting of Hill House' by Shirley Jackson. I was expecting something good and I was not disappointed. Jackson's 'Life among the Savages' and 'Raising Demons' are two of the funniest and most insightful books about domestic life and parenting which I have read, and probably the best written (though Alice Thomas Ellis is certainly on a par). I've read the impressive novel 'We have always lived in the Castle'. 'The Haunting of Hill House' is equally splendid - sly humour suitable foreboding and immaculate plotting, sustained from go to woe (and I mean it, literally).
Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Shirley Jackson

Post by Barnard »

I think that Shirley Jackson’s short story, The Lottery, is brilliant.
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

Oh - came here by mistake thinking it was a thread about little Shirley Jackson from 'The Family at Redroofs'.

Oops sorry - carry on! ;)
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Post by Jomo »

Judith Crabb wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 01:14 Jackson's 'Life among the Savages' and 'Raising Demons' are two of the funniest and most insightful books about domestic life and parenting which I have read, and probably the best written…
I agree! I’ve been reading Raising Demons on loan at archive .org
https://archive.org/embed/raisingdemons00jack

It is hilarious!! Beautifully observed and drily delivered, had me snort-chortling on every page :lol:
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years