100 Best Adventures of The Forties (1944-1953)

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

100 Best Adventures of The Forties (1944-1953)

Post by pete9012S »

100 BEST ADVENTURES OF THE FORTIES (1944–1953)
This page lists my 100 favorite adventures published during the cultural era known as the Forties (1944–1953, according to HILOBROW’s periodization schema). Although it remains a work in progress, and is subject to change, this BEST ADVENTURES OF THE FORTIES list complements and supersedes the preliminary “Best Forties Adventure” list that I first published, here at HILOBROW, in 2013. I hope that the information and opinions below are helpful to your own reading; please let me know what I’ve overlooked.

— JOSH GLENN (2019)
https://www.hilobrow.com/forties-adventure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How many of these books have you read? There's some I definitely want to check out.
Enid Blyton comes in at number three on this list:

3.Enid Blyton’s children’s adventure The Island of Adventure. The prolific English children’s writer Enid Blyton is best remembered for her Famous Five and Secret Seven series; The Island of Adventure is the first in what would become Blyton’s Adventure series. Here, orphaned Jack and Lucy-Ann move in with Philip and Dinah Mannering, who live with their difficult uncle and aunt at their massive but rundown home on the English coast.

Philip and Jack, both in their early teens, are amateur naturalists: the former an animal lover, the latter a birder whose pet cockatoo, Kiki, can repeat a large number of phrases. Dinah and Lucy-Ann, who are younger, are also — like all of Blyton’s female characters — less well-rounded. Strange lights on the mysterious Island of Gloom draw the four into an adventure down a dark well, inside an abandoned copper mine, and through a network of secret undersea tunnels. A mysterious grownup, the balding Bill Smugs, plays an important role in their escapade, as well.

Today, Blyton is rightfully scorned by librarians and others as a peddler of formulaic plots, casual sexism and racism, and jingoistic attitudes towards non-English characters, every single one of whom is untrustworthy; still, along with Arthur Ransome, she helped popularise the idea that unsupervised kids can be resourceful and daring — so let them roam.

Fun facts: The first edition of The Island of Adventure was illustrated by Stuart Tresilian. Blyton reportedly wrote each of her many — over 700! — books in less than a week; in 1944 alone, she also published the Famous Five instalment Five Run Away Together, the Five Finder-Outers instalment The Mystery of the Disappearing Cat, and over 20 other books. The Adventure series were adapted for New Zealand TV in 1996.

Perhaps not the most favourable review I've ever read - still it made it onto the top one hundred!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: 100 Best Adventures of The Forties (1944-1953)

Post by Courtenay »

pete9012S wrote:

Today, Blyton is rightfully scorned by librarians and others as a peddler of formulaic plots, casual sexism and racism, and jingoistic attitudes towards non-English characters, every single one of whom is untrustworthy...

Perhaps not the most favourable review I've ever read - still it made it onto the top one hundred!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :evil: I can hardly believe there are still commentators "peddling" this kind of so-old-it's-gone-mouldy criticism. And yet, as you say, Pete, it still comes in at number 3 anyway!!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's interesting to see the choices, Pete, though I've only read eleven of the books. Of the titles I haven't read, I particularly like the sound of The Tiger in the Smoke by Margery Allingham and Christmas at Candleshoe by Michael Innes. Personally I'd have picked The Valley of Adventure instead of The Island of Adventure but it's good to see Enid Blyton making the list even though the write-up of the book is rather negative!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Courtenay wrote: :roll: :roll: :roll: :evil: I can hardly believe there are still commentators "peddling" this kind of so-old-it's-gone-mouldy criticism. And yet, as you say, Pete, it still comes in at number 3 anyway!!
Why don't they make similar comments about works by Dickens, Shakespeare, etc., that I admit have never been my kind of reading matter?
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Because they're classics and they're unassailable, whether you like them or not. :P :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Only 'classics' if they are to your liking. Many people (not me) don't like classical music and probably think it's music that 'has gone mouldy'. :P :wink:
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I love classical music too (though you may have picked that up from the "last song you listened to" thread) — and I'm not even of an age where I can easily get away with it — so don't worry, I'm with you there. :wink:

(Now of course a music pedant would point out that there's a big difference between "classic" and "classical" — and even that it's technically only classical music if it comes from the era roughly from just after Bach to just after Beethoven (i.e. between Baroque and Romantic) — but this is probably not the time of night to go into that. Especially as it's off topic. :mrgreen: )
Society Member

db105

Post by db105 »

Today, Blyton is rightfully scorned by librarians and others as a peddler of formulaic plots, casual sexism and racism, and jingoistic attitudes towards non-English characters, every single one of whom is untrustworthy...
If that is what he has to say about one of the 100 best I'd hate to read what he thinks about the 100 worst.

The list is too full of spy thrillers for my taste.
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm confused by a list of best books of the forties which goes from 1944-1953... Does this person know what a decade means??

I've read 5 of those, Island of Adventure, obviously, Stuart Little and three of the Narnia books.

I think that line about being scorned by librarians etc gets more or less copied and pasted over and over. Check any children's library catalogue these days and you'll see tons of Blytons, and if you have an inside view like I do - you'll see masses of loans on them too.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:How many of these books have you read? There's some I definitely want to check out.
Enid Blyton comes in at number three on this list
Apart from EB's Adventure series, Adventurous Four books, R series, "The Secret Island" and Famous Five series I would like to list "Skeleton Island" by British children's book author Norman Dale which was published by The Bodley Head in 1949.
It is the third part in a trilogy ("The Exciting Journey" is volume 1, "Mystery Christmas" is volume 2).

I've read 3 or 4 books by Norman Dale as a child in the mid 1960's (we happened to lived opposite of Georg Westermann Verlag publishers in Braunschweig who translated Dale into German) and I thought they are pretty good, but didn't quite reach EB's level of suspense for me.

However, after I had read "Skeleton Island" in 2012 for the very first time (which takes place on a river in Cornwall) I had to admit that Dale was writing rather blytonesque and came up with his own great plots.
He didn't steal them from EB.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock