The most touching book you have read till date.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: The most touching book you have read till date.

Post by Courtenay »

I'm not sure what I would rate as THE most touching book I've read so far, but I agree with those who love Watership Down - it's one of my all-time favourites too. Another part of it that never fails to move me is the chapter "For El-ahrairah to Cry", in which Captain Holly tells the other rabbits how their original warren was destroyed by men - the blocked holes, the poisoned air, his terrifying escape and the hard journey to follow, during which all but one of his remaining companions died. His words at the end still give me a lump in my throat: "It wasn't I who tried to arrest you, Bigwig - that was another rabbit, long, long ago."

There's another book I love that is very similar in theme to Watership Down, but about badgers, also fleeing certain destruction by humans (because of the fear of bovine TB) - it's called The Cold Moons, by Aeron Clement. It doesn't seem to have ever become as famous as some of the other well-known animal stories, but I've always felt it deserved more recognition than it got. It, too, has a gripping storyline and some very moving episodes of courage, sacrifice, grief and joy. Well worth looking out for, if you love that kind of story! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

Do you know I've definitely read "The Cold Moons", but can't remember a single thing about it other than not being overly impressed with it. Another book along similar lines is "Duncton Wood" by William Horwood, only this time the animal in question is moles. I enjoyed it more than "The Cold Moons" but found it quite hard going at times. I think I started the sequel but gave up half way through. Then of course there are the Redwall books... :wink:
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

walter raleigh wrote:Do you know I've definitely read "The Cold Moons", but can't remember a single thing about it other than not being overly impressed with it. Another book along similar lines is "Duncton Wood" by William Horwood, only this time the animal in question is moles. I enjoyed it more than "The Cold Moons" but found it quite hard going at times. I think I started the sequel but gave up half way through. Then of course there are the Redwall books... :wink:
Duncton Wood is an odd one. Been twenty years or more since I read it, but I remember the first one being similar in tone to Watership Down more than, say, Wind In The Willows. The sequel(s) had a different tone entirely as if he had regretted writing about moles and would rather have been writing about swords and sorcery. Celtic warriors would have fitted the mood better than moles.

Watership Down was pretty touching. It's not really to my taste as I can't suspend my disbelief when it comes to anthropomorphising animals. Saying that, I admit it was well done and touching.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've just finished reading a lovely review by Nigel, in Journal 30 and it reminded me of one of the most touching books I can think of. It's Enid Blyton's Hollow Tree House. The last bit of that has actually made me cry, one of my favourite books, and a very good review Nigel. Just 8 years late in congratulating you on it!
Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

'Dogger' by Shirley Hughes, where the little boy loses his cuddly toy at a jumble sale and then spots it up for sale. I can still vividly recall to this day how upsetting and scary that was to me as a child. And even though there's a happy ending, there was a pessimist in me even back then, because I'd be thinking what if this happened to me in real life and there WASN'T a happy ending?
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've just thought of another one: Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. It's an American children's classic - doesn't seem to be as well known in Britain, although it's been made into a film twice (one animated, one live action). I was deeply saddened at what happens before the end when I first read it as a child, though the last chapter is still beautiful and uplifting. I still can't read the end of the penultimate chapter without tears.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
burlingtonbertram

Stephen wrote:'Dogger' by Shirley Hughes, where the little boy loses his cuddly toy at a jumble sale and then spots it up for sale. I can still vividly recall to this day how upsetting and scary that was to me as a child. And even though there's a happy ending, there was a pessimist in me even back then, because I'd be thinking what if this happened to me in real life and there WASN'T a happy ending?
That did actually happen to me. I lost a favourite toy tortoise then, several years later, I was at the Doctors with my mother. There, amidst the array of lost toys lined up on the edge of his desk was my tortoise. He said that he had often wondered which child had been carrying a plastic tortoise about with him.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Not a book, but I saw a really touching episode of 'Who do you think you are?' last night. It featured Brian Blessed.
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Katharine wrote:Not a book, but I saw a really touching episode of 'Who do you think you are?' last night. It featured Brian Blessed.
Turning into a bit of a national treasure these days, isn't he. Wish the series wouldn't concentrate on a particular ancestor: much prefer the ones where they go as far back as possible. Graham Norton's episode was one of the best.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes, I agree, I sometimes feel they miss out bits I'd like to know more about. Didn't see the Graham Norton one. I suppose it's difficult as they need to make it as interesting as possible for the viewers. I believe Michael Parkinson was approached for the programme, but when the did the initial investigations, they said his family were too straightforward, so it wasn't worth making a programme about them.

I'd love someone to follow my family tree. I did try a while back, but didn't get very far. I was always under the impression that my great-great grandmother was French, but the investigations I made didn't back that story up. Unfortunately the parish records which might help are kept in Essex, and I'm in Suffolk, so it would be something like a 40 mile drive to look them up. That's when it would be handy to have the BBC get a lot of experts to do it for me. :D
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Katharine wrote:Yes, I agree, I sometimes feel they miss out bits I'd like to know more about. Didn't see the Graham Norton one. I suppose it's difficult as they need to make it as interesting as possible for the viewers. I believe Michael Parkinson was approached for the programme, but when the did the initial investigations, they said his family were too straightforward, so it wasn't worth making a programme about them.

I'd love someone to follow my family tree. I did try a while back, but didn't get very far. I was always under the impression that my great-great grandmother was French, but the investigations I made didn't back that story up. Unfortunately the parish records which might help are kept in Essex, and I'm in Suffolk, so it would be something like a 40 mile drive to look them up. That's when it would be handy to have the BBC get a lot of experts to do it for me. :D
Graham Norton's was fascinating because they went back to the late 17th C and found that his family had been Yorkshire settlers in Ireland. Which struck a note with him because he says that his family never actually 'felt' Irish.

You may be able to do better with your family tree than you think. I did my Mother's side and had a real stroke of luck because they were a cadet branch of a minor gentry family that had been in West Yorkshire since the 12th C. My father's side are undistinguished agricultural workers from Lincolnshire - and even there I could trace them back as far as the late 18th C.

Apologies if you have already been down this route but, if not, then try:-

I) Your local library. The ones around here all have free access to the Ancestry website. Maybe it is a national arrangement? With a bit of luck and a fair wind you may be able to get back to the first English census of 1841. Any adults registered at that date obviously take you a bit further back still. At present you can search censuses as late as 1911. So, really, it is only the 20th century that is more problematic and hopefully you can fill in those gaps with your own knowledge of the family.

ii) http://www.familysearch.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a free website run by the Church of the Latter Day Saints. It is a brilliant site and even if you don't follow their church you don't need to worry as they don't get in touch or even advertise on it. They have got heaps of parish records going right back into the 16th and 17th centuries. Apparently they have been electronically recording this information all across the UK.

iii) Copy birth certificates from the registrar are available for a small sum (about £9 if memory serves). These fill in gaps when you get stuck in the 19th century.

If, at any point, you can track your family down to a particular, small area (and if you have an unusual surname) then you have a real chance of going back generation after generation.

(Sorry to go on if you have already done all of this).
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the information. I do have copies of the census for some family members, back to about 1861 I think, that's how I know I need to check the Essex records which are held in Chelmsford. It's years since I used our local records library, I don't think the internet was very widely used when I last went, so it might be available now.

I was aware of the Church of the Latter Day Saints, but thought you had to actually visit their church, I shall now check out their website. Some of our surnames aren't very common I don't think. In theory we should be fairly easy to trace, as I think most of our family come from Suffolk/Norfolk. It was rather a shock to discover that some of them had come from as far away as Essex :shock: :wink: Mind you, if the French relative turns out to be correct, that might be a little harder to trace - I don't have a passport!
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Katharine wrote:Thanks for the information. I do have copies of the census for some family members, back to about 1861 I think, that's how I know I need to check the Essex records which are held in Chelmsford. It's years since I used our local records library, I don't think the internet was very widely used when I last went, so it might be available now.

I was aware of the Church of the Latter Day Saints, but thought you had to actually visit their church, I shall now check out their website. Some of our surnames aren't very common I don't think. In theory we should be fairly easy to trace, as I think most of our family come from Suffolk/Norfolk. It was rather a shock to discover that some of them had come from as far away as Essex :shock: :wink: Mind you, if the French relative turns out to be correct, that might be a little harder to trace - I don't have a passport!
The LDS website is great and I think you can use it without registering. I did register but it is only a username and email address (that was three years ago and they have never contacted me about anything).

I was quite shocked by my family tree. I've always been proudly East Yorkshire but found that my mother's side are 'Wessies' (West Yorkshire). Then my father's side turned out to be from 'over the bridge' (Lincolnshire! Horror!") I did a few offshoots (via various grandparents) and found Londoners, Irish and West Country blood too. Amazing how people got about; especially pre-Railways.

France could be more problematic. Good luck with it all.

EDIT: Apologies to Admin for going off - topic. Won't do it again.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:I've just finished reading a lovely review by Nigel, in Journal 30 and it reminded me of one of the most touching books I can think of. It's Enid Blyton's Hollow Tree House. The last bit of that has actually made me cry, one of my favourite books, and a very good review Nigel. Just 8 years late in congratulating you on it!
Thank you, Katharine. Glad you enjoyed it. Hollow Tree House is probably my favourite one-off novel.
I saw a really touching episode of 'Who do you think you are?' last night. It featured Brian Blessed.
We both agreed that it was one of the best episodes so far.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I must admit that Hollow Tree House isn't a book that would instantly spring to mind when asked to list favourite books, but Nigel's review certainly brought back all the reasons why it should be included.

I don't watch all the episodes of Who Do You Think You Are?, sometimes I'm not interested in the person, sometimes I don't even know who they are, and then again, I forget it's on! I did watch a repeat last week of Griff Rhys Jones which was good. I knew he lived in Suffolk, but I didn't realise that his mother lived in Woodbridge, which is where Enid Blyton's nephew or brother lived.

Burlingtonbetram, I don't know whether to thank you or not for giving me the website of the LDS. I just had a quick look yesterday, which turned into an entire afternoon, and I was really late cooking dinner. :evil: :wink:
It was great, but so frustrating. I had dug out the Census information which I already had, which took be back to 1941. I then tried to find a great grandmother's details, but needed her maiden name. That so far is proving difficult. Firstly all the census entries say she was born in Colchester, but there is no record of a marriage or birth that would tie up with that. There are 2 or 3 marriages that might tie in, with the bride being born in Norfolk, which isn't too far away, but that would mean that either they were married 9 years before starting a family, which doesn't seem very likely in those days, or that they married about a year after the first child was born. More realistic, but surely none of my ancestors would have indulged in such behaviour outside wedlock??? :shock:
Society Member