Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Sequel

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Sequel

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I was just browsing the internet (as you do) and came across this on the Daily Idiots, however I have heard it mentioned on the radio this morning. It looks interesting but not too sure what to think.

You can find the article here.

Just wondered what everyone else thought!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Sequel

Post by Daisy »

It looks as if it might be good fun. Sequels can sometimes be a bit disappointing, but if it's done well it should be good!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sounds intriguing, Stef, though it's odd to think of the family flying in a camper van rather than a car. Could be fun, though! I must admit I've never read Ian Fleming's book, though I've watched the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang film numerous times. It was one of my children's favourites when they were younger. I was surprised to read in the Daily Mail article that "The film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, made in 1968, was written for the screen by Roald Dahl and brought new elements – the Child Catcher for instance – to the story." I hadn't known of Dahl's involvement before, or that the Child Catcher wasn't in the book. I love the creepy Child Catcher, and the 'Doll on a Music Box' part.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by poddys »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Sounds intriguing, Stef, though it's odd to think of the family flying in a camper van rather than a car. Could be fun, though! I must admit I've never read Ian Fleming's book, though I've watched the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang film numerous times. It was one of my children's favourites when they were younger. I was surprised to read in the Daily Mail article that "The film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, made in 1968, was written for the screen by Roald Dahl and brought new elements – the Child Catcher for instance – to the story." I hadn't known of Dahl's involvement before, or that the Child Catcher wasn't in the book. I love the creepy Child Catcher, and the 'Doll on a Music Box' part.
I haven't read the book either, but I love the film. It's incredibly long too, but still wonderful to watch.

I had no idea that Roald Dahl was involved in the screenplay, but now I know, I can definitely see the dark side, especially the Child Catcher ("come on out children, wherever you are"). He is still creepy even now.

A sequel though, it might work. One of the problems is that children are no longer so innocent by the age of say 8-10, so they are often already past adventure stories like that . Sad really, the age of innocence is so soon lost.
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Hmmm... I'm not usually a big fan of sequels. Trouble is, I can never keep an open mind. I seem to get sucked into comparing the new one to the original film, especially if a long time has elapsed since the original was made. I'll give the sequel a whirl, though. Maybe It'll surprise me and be pretty good!! :D