Anyone read Locked In-Kerry Wilkinson yet??

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Anyone read Locked In-Kerry Wilkinson yet??

Post by pete9012S »

Kerry Wilkinson, Locked In

This first book, written in his spare time by Daily Express man Kerry Wilkinson, is storming the book charts-anyone read it yet?

http://kerrywilkinson.com/lockedin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://kindle-author.blogspot.com/2011/ ... inson.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quote:
Kerry Wilkinson's novel is outselling Stephen Fry

Tuesday August 9,2011
By Daily Express Reporter

THE hottest new author in Britain wrote his debut novel on his days off – at Express Newspapers, publishers of your Daily Express.

Kerry Wilkinson, 30, uploaded his thriller Locked In to internet sites iBooks and Amazon to assess reaction.

It shot to number 20 in Apple’s iBooks chart and 10 in its crime-and-thriller category in just over a week, despite him having no book deal, publisher or agent.

Kerry, of Preston, Lancs, wrote the novel in three months and it is outselling Twilight’s Stephenie Meyer, John Grisham, Stephen Fry and Roald Dahl.

The sports journalist and magistrate said: “I am speechless about it – I never anticipated it would do so well.

“Turning 30 was the real spur for me to do something different with my evenings and spare time.”
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Re: Anyone read Locked In-Kerry Wilkinson yet??

Post by MJE »

pete9012S wrote:Kerry Wilkinson, Locked In
This first book, written in his spare time by Daily Express man Kerry Wilkinson, is storming the book charts-anyone read it yet?
     No, I haven't read it, nor even heard of it; but I find the title very intriguing indeed. Can you give some idea of what it is about?

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

I've just read up a thing or two about this, and I must say the plot summary sounds a bit less intriguing to me than the title itself. How often does this happen?: a title is intriguing, but then the plot summary or the book itself don't live up to the expectations set up by the title?

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

MJE wrote:     I've just read up a thing or two about this, and I must say the plot summary sounds a bit less intriguing to me than the title itself. How often does this happen?: a title is intriguing, but then the plot summary or the book itself don't live up to the expectations set up by the title?

Regards, Michael.
Well,since my two heroes of fiction passed away (Michael Crichton & Carl Sagan) I've really not read very much adult fiction-but I will probably give this one a go....Bet it wil be televised before long too!

Besides Enid Blyton- I seem only to read factual books now-after a lifetime of fiction.
My wife always relied upon me to provide new books and authors from the fiction genre,but since I stopped reading it some years ago she has noticed it is harder for her to find new books to read!

If you published your own book sometime in the future would you use a pen name? If so do you have any lined up?
If not we could do a poll here for you to see if you liked any of our suggestions! :D

Regards

Pete

Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

pete9012S wrote:Well,since my two heroes of fiction passed away (Michael Crichton & Carl Sagan)
     I'm glad you had two, because it appears that Carl Sagan wrote only one fictional work: Contact (1985), which was the basis of a film.
pete9012S wrote:Well,since my two heroes of fiction passed away (Michael Crichton & Carl Sagan)...
     No, probably not - unless one day I found myself wanting to write on a theme or topic that could be embarrassing to let others know I was connected with. If I had any plans for the latter, I wouldn't be letting on here, or anywhere in public, what pseudonym I would use, as it would defeat the purpose of the whole thing.
     Come to think of it, writing Blyton-style adventures might be embarrassing to let everyone in my life know about. But if I do that, it's certain they won't get published, probably because I wouldn't knuckle down to all the rules you probably have to follow in children's fiction nowadays. I don't mean P.C. things, because the kind of things that are edited out of Blyton I wouldn't do anyway - but I'm sure there are probably lots of other things. So I would probably just put the stories on a web site; I would never expect to make any money out of them anyway, so no loss here; and I could then publish them exactly how I like. And when it came to that I'd have to consider the pseudonym issue; many people I know probably are not very sympathetic about the idea of a grown-up still being seriously interested in children's literature. But I'm nowhere near that point now.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes Carl Sagan only wrote one work of fiction before he died-Contact.It is my favourite adult fiction book ever.
It is the only book that has ever made me cry-and I've read so many books in my time.....

Good point about a pen name needing to be private!-But I'm sure if you told us here at the society we would all promise not to tell anybody else! :D

Regards

Pete

oh ps.
do you have a best non Enid book of all time at all??

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you so much Pete for letting us know about this book.I am very much into impossible crimes/locked-in mystery.

I will buy the ebooks for Kindle but usually, Amazon UK or US won't allow non-UK or non-US buyers to buy ebooks from their website.I need to find the book on alternative website like Smashwords.

I will promote the book to the GAD Detection group. :D
MJE

Post by MJE »

pete9012S wrote:Yes Carl Sagan only wrote one work of fiction before he died-Contact.It is my favourite adult fiction book ever.
It is the only book that has ever made me cry-and I've read so many books in my time.....
     I haven't read the book, but have seen the film. Are they close to each other? What about it made you cry, and did the film have a similar effect?
pete9012S wrote:do you have a best non Enid book of all time at all??
     If you mean children's books, I don't know if I can come out with just one; but on another topic I did gradually come out with about ten or so.
     If you mean adult books, or just any books at all, that's very difficult. I am interested in certain types of science fiction, suspense, horror, and such fields, and there have been many books which I enjoyed, but overall it's difficult to nominate any that stands out as a favourite. I've enjoyed quite a few books by Dean Koontz, and his "The House of Thunder" would have to be one of the most brilliant examples I've ever read of the "twist-in-the-tail" type endings that utterly changes the meaning and significance of hundreds of pages' action before that (that is, almost the entire novel). It's the first Koontz I ever read, so that may partly be why it stands out for me.
     But in many ways my favourite book, my best one of all time, tends to be the one I most recently read which at least exceeded a certain level of quality.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member