Agatha Christie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by Chrissie777 »

Last night we watched "Hallowe'en Party" (2010, with David Suchet as Poirot) and my husband was thrilled with that beautiful hedge garden with the hedges cut in a certain way:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535120/re ... tt_ql_op_3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately the imdb does not disclose WHERE this was filmed and now I'm trying to find out if this was a public park or a private property? If it's public, we would love to include it to our next UK trip.
Does anybody know where it was filmed?
I also enjoyed the scenes on the cemetery, great cinematography.

This is the only photo I could find online: https://theredlist.com/wiki-2-17-1483-1 ... rot-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (it's in the 4th row from the top)

https://www.google.com/search?biw=939&b ... xdgf6QKYjM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Spoiler Alert: Don't read if you don't want to read about the plot/murderer of Halloween Party

Possibly here:

http://www.treasurehouses.co.uk/houseDownloads/9_1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also:
A topiary garden of heartstopping beauty was shown in an episode of Agatha Christie’s Hallowe’en Party.
The great Belgian detective, Hercule Poirot, traveled to the English countryside to investigate a murder. The gardener turned out to have done it – which gave us a glimpse of the monumental topiary garden composed of sculpted yews [top] at Beckley Park, a private estate in England. Organized around walls of huge neatly-clipped hedges, there are giant topiaries in the form of pyramids. This topiary garden was created in the 1920s and is a form of living sculpture. Hedges divide it into areas akin to outdoor rooms. I am paraphrasing Poirot when I call it “a garden most amazing” but I find topiary gardens to truly be amazing. It is not the only one.
https://www.atticmag.com/2011/07/gardens-most-amazing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Thank you, Pete! That's the park indeed. 8)
I wonder if actor Hurd Hatfield is related to Hatfield House? He was in the old movie version of "The Picture of Dorian Gray".
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

This is actually a holiday-related question, but it may as well go here as anywhere else, as I'm specifically addressing Agatha Christie fans who've visited her holiday home, Greenway.

I'll be in Devon for part of a holiday next month and may be able to get to Greenway — it's not far from another National Trust property, Coleton Fishacre, that's on my must-see-if-I-can list. Even though I haven't read very many Agatha Christie books (murder mysteries just aren't quite my thing), I really admire the amazing intricacies of her plots and am interested in her life in general as a great author and woman of history, so I'm sure I'd enjoy visiting her house. But I'm wondering if anyone here who's visited Greenway could tell me: is there anything in the displays / information at Greenway that would give away spoilers for her mysteries??

I'm asking because there's always the possibility I'll pick up some of Agatha's books again from time to time (maybe I'll be all the more inspired after seeing her home!), but I absolutely loathe spoilers in general and spoilers for mystery stories most of all. Somewhere years ago in a magazine article I hit one of the worst spoilers of all — they gave away the crucial twist in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, which I was already aware was considered one of Agatha's most famous and ingenious mysteries, but I hadn't read it. Now of course I can't forget what's meant to be the stunning surprise, so if I ever do read the story, it won't have anything like the effect it's supposed to. :evil: I don't want that to happen with any other potential future reads!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:I'll be in Devon for part of a holiday next month and may be able to get to Greenway — it's not far from another National Trust property, Coleton Fishacre, that's on my must-see-if-I-can list. Even though I haven't read very many Agatha Christie books (murder mysteries just aren't quite my thing), I really admire the amazing intricacies of her plots and am interested in her life in general as a great author and woman of history, so I'm sure I'd enjoy visiting her house. But I'm wondering if anyone here who's visited Greenway could tell me: is there anything in the displays / information at Greenway that would give away spoilers for her mysteries??
Courtenay, how I envy you!
Greenway is on our travel list for 2020.
All I know is that "Dead Man's Folly" has been entirely filmed at Greenway and we throughly enjoyed the beautiful locations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCXpkhiQVYw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

(I posted this for friends on another forum who are Agatha and Greenway fans recently - I thought I would share it here too.)

I love Agatha Christie's house, Greenway.

I could never dream of owning it of course, but I have found another house that I have fallen in love with - I wonder if it will appeal to anyone else here??

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-fo ... 73850.html
Glandwr Hall is a stunning 17th Century country
house occupying a prominent coastal position on
the Mawddach Estuary, said to be one of the finest
estuaries in Europe, with superb views over to the
Cadair Idris mountain range in Snowdonia.
Funny how Enid's house was Green Hedges and Agatha's was Greenway..

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Er, well yes! It does appeal Pete, apart from the price tag! :D

Now let me see, where did I put that lottery ticket I haven't yet checked? :lol:
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:(I posted this for friends on another forum who are Agatha and Greenway fans recently - I thought I would share it here too.)
I love Agatha Christie's house, Greenway.
I could never dream of owning it of course, but I have found another house that I have fallen in love with - I wonder if it will appeal to anyone else here??
Funny how Enid's house was Green Hedges and Agatha's was Greenway..
Pete, when I saw your photo, my first thought was that's Greenway, but it's in Wales. Yes, very appealing. 8)
Do you have this book by Hilary Macaskill on Greenway?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Agatha-Christi ... Mackascill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She also wrote this book on Ferryside and Menabilly (I'm a big DDM fan):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daphne-Du-Maur ... +DuMaurier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have both books and they are great.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I have the Agatha Christie book Chrissie, but don't have the Daphne du Maurier book which looks right up my street!

I think I will buy it at the end of the month when my wife and I get paid!!

Cheers

Pete

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

I'm sure you'll enjoy it! 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Lets appreciate and enjoy our forum here while we still have it!!!
I received this email from The Official Agatha Christie Forum earlier:
Dear reader,

Many thanks for being a member of the Agatha Christie Community Forum.

You recently received a survey from us relating to your use of the Forum. This was designed to help us understand your needs, and how we ensure you get the most from Agatha Christie Limited.

The results of the survey have shown that the Forum no longer fulfils the needs of our readers, and that our popular social media channels, website and newsletter are your preferred forms of communication.

We have therefore decided to close the Forum. All past discussions that are currently held on the Forum will be archived, and made available to search on our website in the coming months, although please note that they will not be open for further comments.
We’ll be introducing a new ‘Ask an Expert’ page to our website, where you can post your questions to our Christie devotees. With the closure of the Forum, we will be focusing our efforts on other channels, and will introduce new digital discussions, starting with a Book of the Month chat on Facebook on March 29th. Furthermore, we plan to introduce a themed Q&A, which will take place regularly on Twitter. We will also investigate games and further interactive content for the website.

We’ll continue to bring you the news you want to see, from global updates to adaptations, story suggestions to character discussions, on our website, in our email newsletter, and across Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. We’re delighted that our inclusion of quotes, trivia and polls have been well received and we can’t wait to share more content like this with you.

If you have any further comments, please feel free to email me.

Best wishes,

Sarah Thrift
Digital Marketing Manager
Agatha Christie Ltd
I certainly never gave any indication that I wanted the Agatha Christie Forum to be closed down when I completed the questionnaire - as Nigel and I have always agreed, The Agatha Christie Forum was adequate at best and could have been so much better, but having it was better than nothing!

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Sorry to hear of the Agatha Christie forum closing down, Pete. A lot of online forums have died or else become almost completely dormant over the past several years, including some I've been part of. I think a lot of people feel that Facebook and other forms of social media are now the in thing and nobody wants or needs discussion forums any more, which is a shame. I hope there will be somewhere else for Agatha Christie fans to continue to gather online.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Yes, what a pity! :cry: :cry: :cry:
I felt the same when TCM NOW PLAYING was no longer printed as a magazine, but turned into a newsletter some 2 or 3 years ago which I barely ever read.
And I also dislike the fact that imdb closed all their readers comments on movies only because there were very few trolls among them (which real cineasts ignored anyway).
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I used to like reading the comments on imdb too, Chrissie.

What a pity about the Agatha Christie forum closing down, Pete. Was it part of a website containing information on the books?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Sorry to hear about the Agatha Christie forum Pete. It's a shame when these things happen. I'm sure with the way FB is laid out, it can't be as straightforward using the AG pages on there as it is on a forum like this.

I was wondering if the Digital Marketing Manager who sent out that email is having to live up to her name. :wink:
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member