Margaret Mahy

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
auscatherine

Margaret Mahy

Post by auscatherine »

Anyone else here a fan of the New Zealand children's writer, Margaret Mahy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Mahy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I only really discovered her as an adult as, for some reason, there is not a lot of literary cross-pollenation between Australia and New Zealand (ie, any NZ books released in Australia are usually ones that have been picked up by UK publishers and even then a lot don't make it here). She writes for a range of ages and covers similar themes to Enid Blyton in some cases. her short story collections for children around 5-8yo are really good. My favourite though is her young adult novel The Changeover about a teenage girl who becomes a witch to save her younger brother. She won a Carnegie Medal for this novel and another for The Haunting which is also a YA novel.
Last edited by auscatherine on 26 Feb 2009, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Re: Margaret Mahy

Post by Aurélien »

auscatherine wrote:Anyone else here a fan of the New Zealand children's writer, Margaret Mahy?
I haven't read even half of Ms Mahy's zany works, but have enjoyed many of them. Of course they are readily available on this side of the Tasman.

Can still remember her 8) [in her irridescent green wig] reading aloud to children in a library.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Can still remember her [in her irridescent green wig] reading aloud to children in a library.
What a great memory, Aurelien! Actually my copy of The Changeover comes from a bookshop in New Zealand. I asked my brother to pick it up for me while on a business trip to Auckland. He said the Kiwi sales assistant had never heard of Margaret Mahy!
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

auscatherine wrote:
Actually my copy of The Changeover comes from a bookshop in New Zealand. I asked my brother to pick it up for me while on a business trip to Auckland. He said the Kiwi sales assistant had never heard of Margaret Mahy!
All too common these days, Catherine. I mean, probably there are still a few booklovers working in bookshops, but.......

Aurélien sighs, remembering less blatantly 'generic commercial' bookshops of former years.
mish
Favourite book/series: Faraway Tree Books

Post by mish »

I can still remember her visiting my school - and doing a book reading. Great story teller!

A huge range of types of stories also. I have just got "The Other Side Of Silence" out of the library to read again. I loved it the first time around when I read it as a child (about a young girl with selective mutism).
"The road to knowledge begins with the turn of the page." Anonymous
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

I haven't read that one, Mish. I will have to look out for it.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I also read some of Mahy's books though I can't say I liked everyone. My personal favourite is "Töchter des Mondes" = "The Changeover", but I'd like to get a copy in English to see how much was changed in the German edition. Well, maybe next time in England...
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Have you not yet discovered Bookdepository.co.uk, Wolfgang? Free postage from the UK to Germany. The prices are really good too.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

auscatherine wrote:Have you not yet discovered Bookdepository.co.uk, Wolfgang? Free postage from the UK to Germany. The prices are really good too.
No, I hadn't. And I'm the type of person who prefer cash instead of credit card, even though the Finance Minister and Security Minister of Germany are probably shocked by this attitude - it's much harder to trace down the cash flow this way ;-) <sigh> But I suppose I'll have a look at paypal in the near future even though its reputation is not the best...
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Yes, I think you do need a credit card for bookdepository. Your no credit card policy sounds very wise in general though, Wolfgang.