Frances Hodgson Burnett

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Somita
Favourite book/series: Enid's books,Twilight Series,A Little Princess etc
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Jack, Dick & WANDERER(the host)

Frances Hodgson Burnett

Post by Somita »

Have you read "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett? I just finished it reading and I was impressed by it so much that I am recommending this book to you (of course, to those who haven't read it!). It is a story about a little girl of a very rich father.She goes to a school and is worshipped by the mistresses for money. But suddenly her father dies without leaving a single penny and the girl is changed into a pauper. She is kept in the school as charity-girl and is ordered to do different errands. Then, again fortune smiles upon her. (If I say more than this, I would be writing the whole novel!) :D
This book describes the magic that love can do. Tears filled in my eyes at certain lines of the book. This is a superb book and Frances Hodgson Burnett is a superb writer. I haven't read any of her other books but she has attracted me with the help of "A Little Princess". Yes, I do love Enid Blyton's books more than any other authors' but this book of Frances' is also going to get the position of my most-favourite-books. :lol:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Frances Hodgson Burnett

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree that A Little Princess is a truly magical book, Somita. The Secret Garden is another excellent read by the same author, about a lonely girl who is sent to live in a large house on the Yorkshire moors - a house full of secrets and sorrow.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tweenid
Favourite book/series: "Mystery" and "Adventure"
Favourite character: Bets

Post by Tweenid »

I fully agree with Anita-"The Secret Garden" is a wonderful book,which I have never tired of reading.There are two quite good film adaptations that I know of as well.
Another favourite of mine by FHB is "Little Lord Fauntleroy". I am lucky to own an edition from 1888.
"Food always tastes SO much nicer out of doors!"
In my teens,I wanted to be Anne from the Famous Five.
In my twenties,I realised I was.
Somita

Post by Somita »

I guess I should start searching for other books of FHB. I neither read "The Secret Garden" nor "Little Lord Fauntleroy". But I can imagine that they are as enchanting as "A Little Princess".
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

The Secret Garden is fantastic! :D
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
JuliaE
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers

Post by JuliaE »

I love the secret garden and little Lord Fauntleroy!
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

You can almost tell that 'The Secret Garden' is going to be a good book just by the title!

I think I had another book by FHB called 'The Lost Prince' ? A good read but tougher to get through than some of the books I read as a child, I seem to remember.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Tweenid wrote: Another favourite of mine by FHB is "Little Lord Fauntleroy". I am lucky to own an edition from 1888.
How fortunate, a cast iron guarantee that the text will be completely unaltered! I was thoroughly impressed by this book when I last read it back in 1977, it looks as if Little Lord Fauntleroy will have to join my ever growing list of re-reads which are stacking up at a very alarming rate of knots. Where on earth will I find the time? :(
Somita

Post by Somita »

I just finished reading "THE SECRET GARDEN" and it is fantastic! How could Frances write such an amazing book? This is as good as "THE LITTLE PRINCESS". Do you others like this book as much as I do? That is, this book is rated 5 stars from me. How about you others??? 8)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed The Secret Garden, Somita. :D I'd give The Secret Garden and A Little Princess five stars each as they're both such stirring stories. Beautifully-written too. Sometimes the language in old-fashioned books is rather formal, but Frances Hodgson Burnett's books are very readable and have certainly stood the test of time.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Somita

Post by Somita »

I totally agree with you, Anita! :lol:
RainbowJude
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Adventure Series, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Darryl, Dick, Barney, Jack, George, Noddy, Pip

Post by RainbowJude »

I've read both The Secret Garden and The Little Princess and can only echo the praise they've received in this thread. Frances Hodgson Burnett really knows how to create an almost tangible atmosphere with words and creates exquisitely drawn characters in both books.

My personal favourite of these two is The Secret Garden: Mary's exploration of the house and the discovery of the garden and the reawakening of both the characters and the world in which they live in is immensely moving. I think it's the way that the physical exploration leads to self-discovery that really does it for me.

Of course, The Secret Garden has been adapted into a super musical by Lucy Simon and Marsha Norman. There were also immensely evocative film adaptations of both books in the 1990s, although these were truer to the spirit of the novels rather than being a literally translation of the respective books into films - particularly in the case of The Little Princess. In some ways, that makes the films more satisfying as films, but I suppose it all depends on what one is looking for in a screen adaptation of a favourite book.

Later days
David
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

I love both of these books too, although I think my favourite has to be A Little Princess. They've been two of my favourite books ever since I was quite little :)
I love the way Sara uses her imagination in A Little Princess, even when she is living in such difficult circumstances.
RainbowJude
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Adventure Series, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Darryl, Dick, Barney, Jack, George, Noddy, Pip

Post by RainbowJude »

Mollybob wrote:I love the way Sara uses her imagination in A Little Princess, even when she is living in such difficult circumstances.
That is a great technique in the book, though I'd say the process is
synchronous with the fact that living in such difficult circumstances causes Sara to continue using her imagination.

Later days
David
Ritu
Favourite book/series: Famous Five,Malory Towers,St.Clares,Five FindOuter
Favourite character: Julian, George, Darrell, Elizabeth Allen

Post by Ritu »

Hey!! I have read "The Secret Garden",too.And I must say that it is a wonderful story.Hats off to Burnett,is'nt it?And I'll try to issue and read"The Little Princess" from my library the next time I go there.But can anyone tell mea little bit about the story?Have a good day guys! :wink: Ritu