Frances Hodgson Burnett

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Frances Hodgson Burnett

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome back, Ritu! Like The Secret Garden, A Little Princess is about a girl who goes through tough times. The setting is very different from The Secret Garden, as A Little Princess takes place in London and there are some quite exotic touches in places. I can't say any more without spoiling the story but it's an unusual and interesting book. The Secret Garden is my favourite though - thrillingly haunting, and I love the whole "reawakening" theme.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

I haven't read any of these books. They sound very good - I must search them in the bookstore. Knowing my bookstore though, I'm certain that it hasn't a copy. It never has for books which are published before 1950. :roll:
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Philip Mannering

I have finally managed to read The Secret Garden, and found it just as I expected, although frankly I hated the India-England references. However, this was just at the early part of the book, so that the rest becomes a well-constructed story and this cancels out the earlier disappointing (to me at least) part. I think I would rate this 9/10, and if to choose a star grading, four stars.

I'm eager to read A Little Princess and Little Lord Fauntleroy - although the latter title is not available here. I'm certain they will be just as good.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Post by hope189 »

I read both "Secret garden" and "Little Princess" about 3 years ago. I just loved those books. Little princess is my favorite. I loved every bit of that book especially hte imagination part. I have a copy of Little lord Fauntleroy, but haven't read it yet.
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
Philip Mannering

I have now read A Little Princess - excellent, and worthy of four stars. F.H. Burnett's books are full of loving detail. I also have started Little Lord Fauntleroy, and hope to complete it soon.

Burnett is becoming one of my favourite authors.
dolly
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, St. Clares
Favourite character: Carlotta, Alicia

Post by dolly »

Little princess - it reminds me of Cinderella which is one of my favourite fairy tales. When I was eight years old I watched the Shirley-Temple-version but I remember a very beautifully-made English movie of the Eighties. Do you know this movie (produced 1987/88)?
mish
Favourite book/series: Faraway Tree Books

Post by mish »

I love both these books -

would recommend them to everyone.

How many of you prefer books written in the past to books written now? I find on the whole I enjoy books that are not recent. Not to say I don't enjoy a well written modern book either. I have just noticed my preference to older books!
"The road to knowledge begins with the turn of the page." Anonymous
Chloe
Favourite book/series: The Enchanted Wood, The Secret Island
Favourite character: Carlotta

Post by Chloe »

Dolly I remember the film!! I loved it! A girl I went to dance class with the girl who played Lottie in it and I remember being in awe of her because of it.

Burnett is one of my all time favourite authors. The little princess competes with Peter Pan for my favourite ever book.
Somita
Favourite book/series: Enid's books,Twilight Series,A Little Princess etc
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Jack, Dick & WANDERER(the host)

Post by Somita »

Hi all! Glad to explore the forums once again. I am very happy to know that there are many people who like FHD. She sure is a good writer, isn't she? She is one of the five-stars rated authors in my list. Only four strs to her, Philip? And my opinion is the same as that of Mish. I love reading old books while I don't hate the modern books.
dolly

Post by dolly »

Ricky Schroder as little lord ... it is the most beautiful movie I have ever watched - it belongs to Christmas like our Christmas tree. I used to watch it every year - and my parents, too!
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

I remember a televised version of Little Lord Fauntleroy back in the 1970's, possibly produced by the BBC. I have never seen the Ricky Schroder film version and I am in no hurry to do so, as American film adaptations of classic books tend to overdue the saccharine.
dolly

Post by dolly »

... as American film adaptations of classic books tend to overdue the saccharine.
You are probably right, but not in this case. Ricky Schroder was and still is Lord Fauntleroy for me.