Other Authors I Enjoy

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Jools
Favourite book/series: The Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Julian

Other Authors I Enjoy

Post by Jools »

:D Thank you so much Spaceflower! Will definitely be buying them. But I'll be reading them before the children!!!
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

My favourite children's authors were/are:

Enid Blyton - especially Famous Five, Five Find Outers, Malory Towers, St Clare's and the Barney mysteries. Though I think Brer Rabbit was actually my first love as a child.

Elinor M. Brent-Dyer - author of the Chalet School series (and many other school stories). I particularly liked the early Tyrolean setting.

Malcolm Saville - the Lone Pine books. I learnt my way around Shropshire thanks to the Lone Piners.

Antonia Forest - the Marlows series - four of them are school stories, the rest holiday stories. She's my favourite children's author.

Tim Kennemore - her early 1980s issues-based books were fantastic. I especially loved The Fortunate Few , which focussed on women's (or little girls') gymnastics.

Mary Gervaise - Georgia books. Ostensibly pony books, they were actually school stories, but instead of playing lacrosse, the girls jumped off against the clock.

I like Ivy L. Wallace's series about the Warrender children as well - they're Famous Fiveish type novels. I also liked classics like What Katy Did and What Katy Did at School, Heidi, Little Women and Anne of Green Gables. For contemporary kidlit, I like Harry Potter and the CHERUB books.
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

I love the Anne of Green Gables books. None of the later ones quite compared to the charm of the first - and they could get a bit twee in places - but the first one was simply wonderful, charming and innocent and likeable.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Spaceflower

My favorites by English-speaking authors

Post by Spaceflower »

These I loved when I was a child:

Stephen Tringer: Smoky Joe (about a cat)
Louisa M Alcott: Little women
Betty Cavanna: "The boy next door" and many other books
Mary Stolz: "Ready or not" and other books
L M Montgomery: Anne-series and Emily-series
F H Burnett: Little princess
Emily Neville: Berries Goodman
Ethel Turner: Seven little Australians
Jean Webster: Rebecca
Helen D Boylston's two series about the nurse Sue Barton and the young actress Carol
Phyllis Mattheman's boarding school series about Danewood and Kirkdale Priory

These I have discovered as a grown-up:
C S Lewis: Narnia series
Lloyd Alexander: Prydain chronicles
Monica Hughes: The seven magpies
Lian Hearn: Tales of the Otori
Katherine Paterson: The great Gilly Hopkins, The master puppeteer and other historical children's novels

and of course the Harry Potter books. I hope J K Rowling does not kill off Harry Potter in her last book!
Katie

Post by Katie »

Along with any and every Enid Blyton book I could get my hands on, some of other my well worn favorite were :

Trixie Beldon series
Honestly Katie John
Baby Island
the Donna Parker set of books
little women / little men
Milly Molly Mandy
Little house in the big wood then little house on the prairie and all in the series
story of Helen Keller
the man who didn't wash his dishes
Charlotte's Web
poems for young Australians
seven little Australians
The Chalet School series

then on to
A town like Alice
white coolies
Go Ask Alice

wow am I having flash backs lol
time to hunt second hand book stores :)))
dolly
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, St. Clares
Favourite character: Carlotta, Alicia

Re: Other Authors I Enjoy

Post by dolly »

Other authors:

Well, I was (and still are) very fond of Astrid Lindgren which is one of the most popular children´s authors in Germany (besides of Enid Blyton of course).
Johanna Spyri´s "Heidi"
Erich Kästner´s "Doppelte Lottchen"

I also enjoyed the series "Nesthäkchen" written by Else Ury. Else Ury was a very popular author at this time - somebody described her as "the Enid Blyton of the Twenties" in Germany - her writing style could be compared to Enid Blyton´s. Although she was very successful her ending was very sad - she died in Auschwitz because she was Jewish.
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Post by Boodi »

Apart from Enid Blyton I especially enjoyed "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Graham, "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell, "Heidi" by Johanna Spyri, "The Hundred and One Dalmatians" (Shame on me, I can't recall the name of the author....I think it was "Dodie" Something or other) and "Animal Farm" by George Orwell.
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Boodi wrote:..."The Hundred and One Dalmatians" (Shame on me, I can't recall the name of the author....I think it was "Dodie" Something or other) and "Animal Farm" by George Orwell.
It was Dodie Smith. Have you also read the sequel, Starlight Barking? I enjoyed both those books as a child but haven't read them for years now. And yes, Animal Farm is wonderfully readable and can be appreciated on a number of levels.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boodi

Post by Boodi »

Thanks Anita! I suppose because "Smith" is such an ordinary name I forgot it! I was not aware that there was a sequel, Starlight Barking...so that is something to look forward to.

Thanks again and cheers,
BOODI
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

After Enid Blyton, I really love books of authors Agatha Christie, Richmal Crompton who wrote the excellent 'Just William' novels, Willard Price (who wrote the "Adventure" series - not to be confused with Enid's), and F.H. Burnett. I like to read C.S. Lewis from time to time too, and the same for Roald Dahl. Currently I am searching for E. Nesbit, Philip Pullman, Cornelia Funke and loads of others. I still have a huge lot of books to read!
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
dolly

Post by dolly »

Do you know "Understood Betsey" by Dorothy Canfield Fisher? A story about a very shy timid little girl gaining self-confidence by staying with her relatives in a rural environment.
I am sorry for my English, it is sometimes so difficult to find the "right words"!
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

There is a long list of authors that I love to read (and I won't go into the whole lot), but Christie and Georgette Heyer rule for the most part. Heyer is another victim of snobbery like Enid Blyton. People either won't admit they read them or sneer at those who do. They don't know what they are missing, because both authors write very engaging stories with great characters. A school librarian almost put me off Heyer (without reading her) for good, by telling me they were rubbish, but fortunately some years later a very smart friend coaxed me into it and I am very glad for it.

Also, some people won't like this, but I also really like Harry Potter :D When I first read Sorcerer's stone/Philosopher's stone, I was delighted because personally I thought it was like reading a new Enid Blyton.

Most of the other books that I read as a child - William and Jennings among them, are not available to me anymore. I still read Roald Dahl though.

Also, does anyone like Asterix or Tintin comics? As far as comics go, I always thought these were the best.
Society Member
Boodi

Post by Boodi »

70s-child wrote: Also, some people won't like this, but I also really like Harry Potter :D When I first read Sorcerer's stone/Philosopher's stone, I was delighted because personally I thought it was like reading a new Enid Blyton.

Also, does anyone like Asterix or Tintin comics? As far as comics go, I always thought these were the best.
I too really enjoyed the early Harry Potter books and yes, they did remind me of Enid Blyton (maybe that was their main attraction for me). My favourite book was "The Prisoner of Askaban", but after that I felt they went downhill (or at least they did for me) and although I started I did not finish the final books in the series.

I love both Asterix and Tintin and have a small collection of them (my Tintin books are very worn and battered indeed). When I lived in Belgium many years ago I knew a lady whose father had been in the same class at school as Hergé (Georges Remi). By sad concidence, Hergé died the very same day as my own father (03/03/1983).
dolly

Post by dolly »

When I was nine years old I was very fond of Patricia M. St. John who must be a very popular English author, too.
I am still loving "Tanglewood´s secret" - it has such a "dreamy atmosphere" ...
Later I found out that a movie based on this book was made, too, but I didn´t enjoy it. Therefore I will NEVER watch the new "Hanni and Nanni"-movie (twins at st. clares), I am quite sure that I will be disappointed.
ria ann
Favourite book/series: Famous Five,Five Find-Outers,St.Clares,
Favourite character: Timmy, George,Bobby,Claudine,Alicia

Post by ria ann »

I like reading to read books of J.K Rowling (Of Course,Harry Potter!) Carolyn Keene(nancy Drew) R.L Stine(Goosebumps).
Ria Ann