The Diary of Anne Frank

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: The Diary of Anne Frank

Post by Eddie Muir »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Eddie Muir wrote:I have a copy Anne Frank Remembered by Miep Gies and Alison Leslie Gold and agree that it is a great book, Jo. Another superb book is The Story of Anne Frank by Mirjam Pressler.
Eddie, I didn't know Mirjam Pressler's book was translated into English. I have a copy, still need to read it.
The English translation of Mirjam Pressler's The Story of Anne Frank Frank was first published in the UK by Macmillan Children's books in 1999, Chrissie. The German edition was first published in 1992, as I'm sure you know. I also have an English translation of Treasures from the Attic: The Extraordinary Story of Anne Frank's Family by Mirjam Pressler. This was first published in Britain by Weidenfeld and Nicolson in 2011. The original German edition was published in 2009.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Chrissie777 wrote:Strangely enough I met lots of people in my life who have been to Amsterdam and went to the van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum, but not to the Anne Frank House. :(

Like Floragord I was 13 when my parents gave me "The Diary of Anne Frank" on my birthday and shortly after we went to Amsterdam in 1968 to visit the Anne Frank House.
Until 1979 I visited it 2 more times and was deeply moved.
Since the early 1980's and owning the first VCR I recorded all those late night interviews with Holocaust survivors and WW II documentaries on German TV which I wanted to watch at a more convenient time.
I also read dozens of books on Anne Frank and the other 7 people who did hide in Prinsengracht 263.

My favorite biographies are the ones written by Melissa Mueller and Carol Ann Lee who also wrote an absolutely riveting book on "The Hidden Life of Otto Frank" (it was hard for me to ever put that book down to take care of chores).
Miep Gies wrote a wonderful biography called "My Time with Anne Frank" (it was filmed with Mary Steenburgen) and Willy Lindwer wrote in 1991 "Anne Frank: The Last 7 Months" which was heart-breaking, because up to that moment in 1991 I did not realize HOW unimaginably hard those last months in Anne Frank's life have been.

About two year ago I finally discovered a coffee table book called "Inside Anne Frank's House" which reported on/about the extensive renovations that were done in the late 1990's in order to put it back into the state where it was in August 1944 when the Gestapo arrested the 8 people in the annex. And that's when I realized, I haven't been to the Anne Frank House since 1979. What a shame!
So I convinced my husband to extend our UK trip in 2018 for a few days in order to visit the Anne Frank House. He is the most easy going person I ever met and agreed right away. André said that he also would like to visit the van Gogh and the Rijksmuseum one more time as this will be one of our last trips to Europe before retirement. :(

Well, for some private matters we were forced in 2018 to post-pone our UK trip to 2019 and now it's getting very close to our trip: we'll fly to London on 5th of May and visit the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam on 22nd of May.
I was interested to see we'd read the Diary at the same age, Chrissie, it is an unforgettable and valuable document. I'm sure your visit to the Anne Frank House on 22 May will be most memorable and moving, don't think I'd be able to say "enjoy", but do wish you a wonderful trip, have a lovely time and happy landings!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I have just been reading through this topic from the beginning and was horrified by the initial post of Silky-Elf back in 2007 when she(?) was just nine years old. Hopefully the advice passed onto her by the members at the time really did point her in the right direction as it seemed it would judging by her subsequent posts. I note that she hasn't been on the forum since 2008 so one must wonder how she turned out, now that she is 21. Hopefully a much better person than her first post in this topic portrayed she might be.

I have a copy of Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl which I bought many years ago for my wife. As it happens, it is a first edition of the version identical to this one here on Amazon, as I just checked the details. It is also in perfect condition with the dj as good as when it was bought.

I have just ordered a new paperback of the book Eddie mentioned - The Story of Anne Frank by Mirjam Pressler - £1.80 + £2.80 P&P on Amazon.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Eddie Muir wrote:The English translation of Mirjam Pressler's The Story of Anne Frank Frank was first published in the UK by Macmillan Children's books in 1999, Chrissie. The German edition was first published in 1992, as I'm sure you know. I also have an English translation of Treasures from the Attic: The Extraordinary Story of Anne Frank's Family by Mirjam Pressler. This was first published in Britain by Weidenfeld and Nicolson in 2011. The original German edition was published in 2009.
Not too many German books get translated into English. I'm glad those were translated. :)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Boatbuilder wrote: I have just ordered a new paperback of the book Eddie mentioned - The Story of Anne Frank by Mirjam Pressler - £1.80 + £2.80 P&P on Amazon.
That sounds like a bargain price for the book, John. I hope you’ll be happy with it.
Chrissie777 wrote: Not too many German books get translated into English. I'm glad those were translated. :)
I'm glad too, Chrissie. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Eddie Muir wrote:
Boatbuilder wrote: I have just ordered a new paperback of the book Eddie mentioned - The Story of Anne Frank by Mirjam Pressler - £1.80 + £2.80 P&P on Amazon.
That sounds like a bargain price for the book, John. I hope you’ll be happy with it.
It was a better bargain than that, Eddie. I realised later that it was £1.50 + P&P not £1.80 :D

Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

Boatbuilder wrote:I have just been reading through this topic from the beginning and was horrified by the initial post of Silky-Elf back in 2007 when she(?) was just nine years old. Hopefully the advice passed onto her by the members at the time really did point her in the right direction as it seemed it would judging by her subsequent posts. I note that she hasn't been on the forum since 2008 so one must wonder how she turned out, now that she is 21. Hopefully a much better person than her first post in this topic portrayed she might be.

I have a copy of Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl which I bought many years ago for my wife. As it happens, it is a first edition of the version identical to this one here on Amazon, as I just checked the details. It is also in perfect condition with the dj as good as when it was bought.

I have just ordered a new paperback of the book Eddie mentioned - The Story of Anne Frank by Mirjam Pressler - £1.80 + £2.80 P&P on Amazon.
Yes, I think Moose handled that well, hopefully Silky-Elf listened and learned. How nice to have a first edition of the original book, and I must get a copy of The Story, good to know Anne's legacy is still "out there".
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

floragord wrote:Yes, I think Moose handled that well, hopefully Silky-Elf listened and learned. How nice to have a first edition of the original book, and I must get a copy of The Story, good to know Anne's legacy is still "out there".
I must admit that I didn't read the beginning of this thread. :oops:
Will do that right now.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Fatty wrote:I first read Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl when I was about 15, and it was very poignant experience, as many others here have noted. But I was somehow 'prepared' for it, because a year or two earlier I had read, in the Reader's Digest, an abridged version of The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. This dealt with the same premise, but from the point of view of a Christian family that went out of their way to help the jews. Despite the Christian religious fervour I found it an inspiring read for people of any faith -- or no faith for that matter.
I did not read it, but watched the movie based on it.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

RainbowJude wrote:During that tour, we also visited Dachau, one of the concentration camps, and it was horrifying to see such a tangible reminder of things about which I had only read. I think it is so important that these sites are still there. They are reminders of what prejudice can achieve when it is left to grow unchecked.
Later days
David
David, I'm originally from Germany. I've read the diary of Anne Frank in 1968 when I was 13.
When the revised/longer version was released in the mid to late 1980's I bought it and read it, too.
Like you I've visited Dachau, it was in February 1996. I was in tears pretty much the entire time. :cry:
I've been to Bergen-Belsen in the late 1990's when I still lived in Hamburg.

I wonder if anybody from EBS ever went to see Auschwitz?
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
floragord

Post by floragord »

Yes, I visited Auschwitz and Dachau when I lived in Germany (Krun near Garmisch and then Frankfurt-am-Main) back in the 1980s. The absolute horrors of both places were physically sickening, but it is so right the camps have been kept as they were, as with the Anne Frank House.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Floragord, I've watched every single documentary on Auschwitz that I could lay my hands on. The Discovery Channel, History Channel and National Geographic sometimes air WW II documentaries.
Our public library has lots of docus on the concentration camps with survivor interviews. I watched all of them and ordered many others via ILL.
When I visited it, I thought that Dachau was obviously never bombed, it seemed to be in the same state as it was in WW II.

I've been to Frankfurt several times in October to visit the biggest Book Fair...in the 12970's, 1980's and 1990's that was my only chance during the pre-Internet years to get British and American brochures from my favorite foreign publishing houses (in order to find out which novels of my 30+ favorite authors I missed, because not all of them were translated into German).
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Boatbuilder wrote:I have just been reading through this topic from the beginning and was horrified by the initial post of Silky-Elf back in 2007 when she(?) was just nine years old. Hopefully the advice passed onto her by the members at the time really did point her in the right direction as it seemed it would judging by her subsequent posts. I note that she hasn't been on the forum since 2008 so one must wonder how she turned out, now that she is 21. Hopefully a much better person than her first post in this topic portrayed she might be.

Probably as a result of ordering the above book, which arrived earlier in the week, I received an email today from Amazon 'promoting' a kindle version of another Anne Frank book for £0.98. I looked at the link and noticed that there were also three used paperback copies of the book, which was only published in 2015 according to the details on the page, on offer from £1678.65 + P&P. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh! and it's only 99 pages in length!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... _371643851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

Chrissie777 wrote:Floragord, I've watched every single documentary on Auschwitz that I could lay my hands on. The Discovery Channel, History Channel and National Geographic sometimes air WW II documentaries.
Our public library has lots of docus on the concentration camps with survivor interviews. I watched all of them and ordered many others via ILL.
When I visited it, I thought that Dachau was obviously never bombed, it seemed to be in the same state as it was in WW II.

I've been to Frankfurt several times in October to visit the biggest Book Fair...in the 12970's, 1980's and 1990's that was my only chance during the pre-Internet years to get British and American brochures from my favorite foreign publishing houses (in order to find out which novels of my 30+ favorite authors I missed, because not all of them were translated into German).
I'm sure you found watching the documentaries difficult but rewarding Chrissie, the wonders of being able to "virtually tour" is for me one of the most amazing things about new technology.

I envy your visit to the Frankfurt Book Fair, that must have been fabulous, I'm sure you left weighed down with plenty of interesting material! I enjoyed the city, Sachsenhausen was fun for evenings out and the apple wine gorgeous!, and boat trips and fireworks on the Main, I remember it all with affection.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Very very hard to watch, floragord. But I believe that it is important not to forget what Germans did to other Germans only because they happened to be Jewish. :evil:

I have to admit that I never made it to Sachsenhausen. I was soooo exhausted from 5 or 6 hours of walking through the foreign publishers hall(s) and collecting brochures that I stayed at the hotel room and read the wonderful brochures. :oops:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock