Famous Five cassettes - help!

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
70s5fan

Famous Five cassettes - help!

Post by 70s5fan »

Hi everyone!

First post from a closet 33 year old Famous Five fan!

Wondering if someone can help me in tracking down a couple of cassettes? Back in 1980 or may have been 1981 I had a double cassette pack released by Warner. The cast was superb and there was some very typical 70s funky music during the productions. One tape was Five on a Secret Trail, and the other was (edited as title now known) Five Are Together Again. The cast were NOT the same as in the 1970's TV show, though the picture on the box was.

I would LOVE to track these down - if anyone could help me out with any information on these I'd be very grateful.

Merry Christmas!!

- John
Last edited by 70s5fan on 25 Dec 2006, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Hi,

I've most if not all of the cassettes from that era...

There were 2 released around then which had Five on a Secret Trail...

One was encased in cardboard and had a pic of the 78 series on - the other story in that set was Five are Together Again

The other double cassette was in a plastic case (again with a pic of the five one from 78) and was Five on a Secret Trail, Five have a Mystery to Solve and Five on a Treasure Island

I did a post about the other tapes - It doesn't feature the ones I think you're referring too, but may be of interest - Click here to view
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
70s5fan

Post by 70s5fan »

Hi there!

Many thanks for your reply. Yes cardboard sleeve rings a bell - this would have gone missing the day after I bought it as a kid - haha!

Yes the other volume was Five are Together again (the one with the monkey and Tinker). The tapes were white/cream with red lettering I think - the one's I had definately had a Warner logo on them. They also had a pair of Secret Seven tapes in the same year/series. Is there any chance you could post a quick picture please? I'm sure that would jog my memory.

I've been looking for these for AGES- I really would like to transfer these digitally onto a PC, clean them up (get rid of the hiss) and put them onto CDs to preserve them for future generations to enjoy (and me). Ditto with the Rainbow tapes (inc. the Alfred Hitchcock presents ones) which I must have a look on Ebay for. I did a transfer of the Island of Adventure film (from 1982) onto DVD-r earlier this year and that came out well. I'd like to do transfers of the tapes as well. If I have no luck on Ebay perhaps we could come to some sort of arrangement? All the gear I use is high quality (I used to write for Hi-Fi World to I'm a fully paid up tech geek - haha!) so your tapes would be safe.

Just reading your link now - very interesting! And nostalgic!

Happy Christmas!!!

- John
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Hi John,

Here is the picture of the Card sleeve tape...

I too have wanted for ages to transfer to CD - keep meaning to buy the equipment to do it with, just other things get in the way... We;ll have to chat via pm :)

Merry Christmas!!

G@K
70s5fan

Post by 70s5fan »

That's the one! My God never thought I'd see that again - going on a nostalgia trip right now..... cool!

Would love to archive these for you - yep a few PMs definately in order!

Off for Christmas dinner now!

- J
Yan

Post by Yan »

George@Kirrin wrote: The other double cassette was in a plastic case (again with a pic of the five one from 78) and was Five on a Secret Trail, Five have a Mystery to Solve and Five on a Treasure Island
Hi George,

from the German fanpage I know that there were also 2 lps released (Mystery to solve and Treasure Island) with pics of the 78 series. Are they identic with the tapes you are writing about?

You can find the lps in this way (sorry, but there is no direct link):

- http://ff5.lgfb.de/
- click on the German entering button
- click on "Medien"
- click on "Kassetten"
- click on "Infos zu den Hoerspielkassetten und den Sprechern"
- click on "Weitere Hoerspiel-Produktionen"
- scroll down to the end of the site

By the way: Do the tapes contain the original sound of the 78 series?

Because in Germany, the label "POLY" released 3 lps/tapes with the German TV-sound of almost all the first season in 1978.

(Merry Christmas to you!) :wink:
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Hi Yan,

There were 3 LPs released with pics of the 78 series on - 4 pics on all as two versions of Treasure Island were released.

The voices aren't those of the 78 series.

I will photograph the LPs and other tape for you later this afternoon.
Jeffery Greyling
Favourite book/series: Secret Mountain, V. of Adventure, FF and Barney M.

Re: Famous Five cassettes - help!

Post by Jeffery Greyling »

I wish I had one or two of the Famous Five cassettes - I wasn't alive when they came out, and they're very hard to find. S'pose I'll just have to keep my eye out!
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Scparker

Re: Famous Five cassettes - help!

Post by Scparker »

I've lost my Famous Five tape cassette that I've had from 1978! Five have a mystery to solve... I lost the cover years ago but the cassette was green and a dramatised version .. The opening had julian mentioning about first day of Easter hols a clock and Aunt Fanny sending them out for sausages .. It's a long shot but does anyone have an MP3 version of it ?