Phone Book

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Phone Book

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I've just received the latest - and last! - edition of the Phone Book through my door.

At the front is a potted history of UK telephone directories, starting in 1880 when 248 entries were listed, just for London.

In 1896 (a year before Blyton was born) the first national directory was published, with 81,000 entries.

I can't think of any specifics immediately, but can we list the occasions when directories were used in the stories? I'm sure they were referred to many times in FFO :D

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Re: Phone Book

Post by Bertie »

I definitely remember the one in Holly Lane, when Fatty went down it looking for 'King's' and stopped at one with stables as it would have Horse boxes.

There's also the 'Holland's' that they're looking for in Hidden House. I think they use the phone book for that.
Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

And in the very first book, when Fatty is too sore (after falling off the haystack) to go with the others, do he and Bets say they looked up Mr Smellie's address in the phone book?
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm not sure about in the stories, but didn't Blyton sometimes use the phonebook to select last names at random for her characters?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

And I think in Invisible Thief, they looked up 'Rod...' in the Telephone directory to try and see if any surnames could match that clue.

I'm struggling to think of any non-FFO examples. I did think they maybe used the telephone directory in FF when George gets kidnapped and they're looking for an American car - but I think they just went to the Garage and he phoned up people that he knew?
Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

Peter and Janet use a phone book in one of the Secret Seven stories. I think they were looking for names beginning with ‘Q’.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

In Well Done Secret Seven, Jack and George go to the post office and ask the post office girl to look up Emma Lane in the directory.

Edit: Just remembered Secret Seven on the Trail. Having looked in the telephone directory at home for firms called Dalling or Hammond, with no result, Peter and Janet decide to try one of the big telephone directories at the post office because those directories cover a wider area. Jack goes with them.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

Funny to think of the days when the public libraries had shelves and shelves of phone books.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

In Strange Messages they look for Smith in the telephone directory.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

GloomyGraham wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 01:24 Funny to think of the days when the public libraries had shelves and shelves of phone books.
I can vaguely remember that! I can also remember "reading" the phone book to see what funny or odd names I could find...I must have been experiencing a shortage of Blyton books at the time to drive me to such extreme reading matter!!!
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

GloomyGraham wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 01:24 Funny to think of the days when the public libraries had shelves and shelves of phone books.
I remember that the last company I worked for in Liverpool, before I transferred to Gloucestershire in the mid 70s had the phone directories of the entire country in the switchboard/reception area and it was surprising how much they were used.
Boodi 2 wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 15:47 I can vaguely remember that! I can also remember "reading" the phone book to see what funny or odd names I could find...I must have been experiencing a shortage of Blyton books at the time to drive me to such extreme reading matter!!!
You really must have been short of something to read at the time, Monique, although I can understand the amusement in it. :D

On my computer I have copies of the pages from the phone directories from the 1970s and 1980s on which my own phone numbers appear from my last address in Liverpool and the two addresses I had in Gloucestershire. I found them online on through one of the ancestry websites quite a few years ago although I don't recall which one it was.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I’ve had people come into my library and ask if I have phone books. I’d show them the local BT one and the yellow pages. Often this was fine, they’d have a look at one. But I have a had a few askance looks followed by “you don’t have one for Manchester/Leeds/other English city hundreds of miles away?”
Once upon a time yes we would have, but not in the 2020s.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Barnard wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 17:32Peter and Janet use a phone book in one of the Secret Seven stories. I think they were looking for names beginning with ‘Q’.
Your mention of the letter Q rang a bell, Barnard, and got me flicking through a couple of books. The second one I tried was Good Work Secret Seven, which is probably the one you were thinking of. Pam and Barbara have to find out about Q8061 (or maybe Kew 8061). Janet tells Peter, "...Pam asked her mother how to find out if there was such a number, because she and Barbara really didn't feel they could wade through all the telephone directories. And her mother said, 'Well, just ring up and see if there's an answer!'" Janet adds that when Pam and Barbara rang the number, there was no reply and the operator said it was because there was currently no telephone with that number.

Curiously, a few chapters later Pam suggests (at a Secret Seven meeting) that they fetch a directory and look at all the names beginning with Q, because one of them might have the telephone number 8061.

Earlier in the same book, the Secret Seven use a telephone directory to look up the address and telephone number of Briggs, who lives in Renning.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

Yes. That was the book of which I was thinking, Anita
dsr

Post by dsr »

Hannah wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 03:46 In Strange Messages they look for Smith in the telephone directory.
Did they find one? :twisted:
DSR