ChatGPT and Enid Blyton

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

ChatGPT and Enid Blyton

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

My son was showing me a website where people can "chat" to a robot (questions and answers are by text). The first few questions resulted in repetitive, heavily formulaic responses, but then I asked the robot to "Write a poem about Enid Blyton" and it came up with the following immediately:

Here is a poem about Enid Blyton:

Enid Blyton, a name that rings true,
An author loved by children old and new.
Her words were magic, her stories full of life,
A treasure trove of adventures free from strife.

From the Famous Five to the Secret Seven,
Her characters captured hearts in heaven.
The Faraway Tree, a magical place,
Where the adventures never ceased to race.

Enid Blyton, a woman ahead of her time,
Her stories still shine, and her legacy still fine.
Her words will live on, in the hearts of young and old,
A legacy of magic, forever to be told.

Some lines don't make sense and certain things are expressed clumsily but I was still quite impressed! If time had allowed, we could have asked the robot to rework particular lines to improve the poem.

The website we used was https://openai.com/
You get to the robot by scrolling to the bottom of the page and clicking on 'ChatGPT'.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Re: ChatGPT and Enid Blyton

Post by Bertie »

That's interesting, Anita.
As you say, a reasonably decent poem despite some strange / clumsy lines. And nice to see 'race' used in a poem about Enid Blyton without it referencing accusations of racism. :)
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

A great 'pome' Anita. Thank you.

One that surely even old Fatty & Ern would be proud to have co-penned!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

It's not perfect, but that robot certainly writes better poetry than some humans I'm aware of! :lol: :P :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Do you think of Paul Neil Milne (The hitchhiker's guide to the galxy), Courtenay? ;-)
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Very impressive despite a few clumsy lines. Artificial intelligence is amazing but also somewhat frightening as if it continues to develop it could end up making human beings redundant!!!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Just for fun, I decided to see what would happen if I asked ChatGPT if it had read a particular Enid Blyton book. The result was amusing but confusing! If a schoolchild tried to pass a ChatGPT book review off as his/her own (as has been suggested by some), I have a feeling the teacher might notice! :lol:

Me: Have you read The Sea of Adventure by Enid Blyton?

ChatGPT: As an AI language model, I don't have the ability to read books like humans do, but I have been programmed with information on various literary works, including Enid Blyton's Adventure Series which includes "The Sea of Adventure". I can answer questions about the book or provide a brief summary if you would like.

Me: Yes, please provide a summary.

ChatGPT: "The Sea of Adventure" is the fourth book in Enid Blyton's Adventure Series. The story follows the four children, Philip, Jack, Dinah, and Lucy-Ann, as they spend their summer holidays with Jack's parents in a small fishing village in Cornwall. One day, while exploring the coast, they come across a mysterious group of men and overhear their plans to sail a ship called the "Sea Leopard" to a hidden island to search for treasure.

Determined to find out more, the children sneak aboard the Sea Leopard and embark on an adventure that takes them to a deserted island, where they discover a hidden cave filled with treasure. However, the group of men who the children overheard earlier are also on the island and are determined to get their hands on the treasure.

The children must use their wits and bravery to outsmart the villains and protect the treasure. Along the way, they also make some new friends, including a parrot named Kiki and a boy named Prince Paul, who is the rightful owner of the treasure.

"The Sea of Adventure" is a thrilling tale full of action, adventure, and mystery that will keep readers of all ages on the edge of their seats.

Me: What is the treasure?

ChatGPT: In "The Sea of Adventure" by Enid Blyton, the treasure that the children discover on the hidden island is a collection of valuable jewels, including diamonds, rubies, emeralds, and sapphires, as well as gold and silver coins. The treasure is hidden in a secret cave on the island, and the children stumble upon it during their adventures. The villains in the story also want to get their hands on the treasure, which leads to some exciting and dangerous moments in the plot. However, the children ultimately succeed in protecting the treasure and returning it to its rightful owner.

Me: Where does Prince Paul come from?

ChatGPT: In "The Sea of Adventure" by Enid Blyton, Prince Paul is a young boy who the children meet on their adventure. He is the rightful owner of the treasure that is hidden on the secret island, as it belonged to his ancestors. He is described as being from a small island in the Pacific Ocean, which was once ruled by his family. However, the island was taken over by a group of men who ousted his family, and they have been searching for the treasure ever since. Prince Paul is on a mission to retrieve the treasure and reclaim his family's rightful place on the island. The children befriend Prince Paul and help him to protect the treasure from the villains who are also seeking it.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
jubei
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney 'R' Mystery
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by jubei »

Smashing. I read that the AI get the data from users inquiry as well. So the more people asked about Enid Blyton for instance, the AI will learn more about it. It time for us to "trained" AI about Famous Five etc.
reread 2015 - Barney Series ,The Secret of Killimooin
reread Feb 2023 - The Rilloby Fair Mystery
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

:lol: :lol: It actually sounds quite good. Just not exactly as Enid wrote it.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Plot-twist - Hodder are planning to save money by amalgamating several of her best-known series given the various plots that were reused, and the AI has read an advance copy...
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh, don't give them ideas... :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Hello there! Long time no chat!

I hope all are well?!

I asked chatgpt if it could write a story in the style of Enid Blyton :)

The reply was that it could write a short story in EB style.

Herewith.....

The Adventures of the Secret Treehouse

Once upon a time, in a small village nestled among rolling hills, there stood a quaint little cottage. It belonged to four children named Jack, Lucy, Peter, and Susan. They were the best of friends and had a secret treehouse in the woods just beyond their garden.

One sunny morning, the children gathered in the cozy treehouse, excitedly planning their adventure for the day. Jack, the oldest and bravest of the bunch, suggested exploring the mysterious cave they had heard about from the villagers.

With their knapsacks packed with sandwiches and lemonade, the children set off on their grand expedition. They walked through lush meadows, over bubbling brooks, and into the heart of the ancient forest. The towering trees whispered secrets as the children giggled with anticipation.

As they ventured deeper into the woods, they stumbled upon a hidden path that led them straight to the mouth of the cave. It was dark and mysterious, but their courageous spirits spurred them forward.

Inside the cave, they discovered a hidden treasure chest adorned with glittering jewels and shimmering gold coins. They gasped with wonder and marveled at their luck. However, little did they know that someone else was watching them from the shadows.

Out of the darkness stepped a mischievous elf named Sparkle. He had been guarding the treasure and had grown fond of it. But seeing the children's innocent faces and their genuine excitement, he couldn't help but smile.

Sparkle introduced himself to the children and explained how he had been protecting the treasure for years. Moved by their genuine curiosity and kindness, he decided to share the adventure with them. The children and Sparkle became fast friends, their laughter echoing through the cave.

With Sparkle's guidance, the children learned to use their imaginations and creativity to solve puzzles, unravel riddles, and embark on many more thrilling escapades. Together, they formed the Secret Adventure Society, dedicated to exploring the hidden wonders of their village and beyond.

And so, the Secret Treehouse became the headquarters of their newfound society. From that day forward, the children and Sparkle ventured far and wide, discovering hidden castles, rescuing lost animals, and spreading joy wherever they went.

As the sun set on their latest adventure, the children returned home, brimming with stories to share. They climbed up to their cozy treehouse, their hearts filled with gratitude for the magic they had found. And as they whispered their secrets into the night, they knew that their friendship and adventures would last a lifetime.

The end.

Note: This story is an original creation in the style of Enid Blyton, but not written by Enid Blyton herself.

I also asked if it could write a story about the Five Find-outers. It started off reasonably well but then went a bit awry with Goon arresting himself! :D

Can you write a story about Enid Blyton's Five find-outers and dog
ChatGPT
Certainly! Here's a short story featuring Enid Blyton's beloved characters, the Five Find-Outers and Dog:

The Mystery of the Stolen Jewels

It was a sunny summer day, and the Five Find-Outers and Dog were enjoying their school holidays. Fatty, Larry, Daisy, Pip, Bets, and their loyal dog, Buster, were sitting in Fatty's garden, contemplating their next adventure.

Just as they were discussing their boredom, a familiar figure approached. It was Mr. Goon, the bumbling village policeman. He seemed flustered, waving his arms and muttering to himself.

Curiosity piqued, Fatty called out, "What's the matter, Mr. Goon? Can we help?"

Mr. Goon grumbled, "Jewels, that's what! A precious necklace and tiara have been stolen from the mansion down the road. I've been assigned to solve the case, but I'm at my wit's end!"

The Find-Outers exchanged knowing glances. They loved a good mystery, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to put their detective skills to the test.

Fatty, with his sharp mind and knack for disguise, took the lead. "Don't worry, Mr. Goon. We'll take on the case and find the stolen jewels. But we need your permission to investigate freely."

Mr. Goon hesitated but eventually relented. "Fine, but don't get in my way, you pesky children!"

The Find-Outers began their investigation by visiting the mansion. They interviewed Lady Wellingham, the distraught owner of the stolen jewels. She mentioned that her maid, Mildred, had been the only one near the jewels before they disappeared.

Sneaking off to Mildred's cottage, Fatty and the gang discreetly searched for clues. Larry noticed a suspicious-looking toolbox in the shed. Inside, they found a peculiar set of keys that seemed out of place.

Daisy suggested that they confront Mildred. With Fatty disguised as a plumber, they arrived at the mansion to fix a "leaky pipe." While Fatty pretended to work, the others searched Mildred's room for any hidden jewels.

To their surprise, they found a hidden compartment in her dresser containing Lady Wellingham's stolen necklace and tiara! Just as they were celebrating their discovery, Mr. Goon arrived, determined to take the credit for himself.

Quick-thinking Fatty cleverly framed Mr. Goon, planting a clue implicating him as the thief. With the evidence carefully arranged, the Find-Outers summoned the village constable.

When faced with the apparent evidence against him, Mr. Goon stumbled over his words, unable to explain. The constable arrested him, and the stolen jewels were returned to Lady Wellingham, who was overjoyed.

As for the Find-Outers, they received a special commendation for their detective work. The villagers were grateful, and Mr. Goon had to admit that the children had outsmarted him once again.

With another mystery solved, the Find-Outers and Dog celebrated with a picnic in the park. They knew that more adventures awaited them in the future, and with their keen minds and trusty dog by their side, they were ready to tackle any mystery that came their way.

The end.

Note: This story featuring the Five Find-Outers and Dog is an original creation inspired by Enid Blyton's characters but not written by Enid Blyton herself.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Good to see you posting again after a lull. :)

I only had time to read the first story - will try and read the Goon one tomorrow.

It was quite a 'nice' little tale, but don't think there's any danger of Enid's brilliant style being overtaken by a robot any time soon. ;)
Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

I thought "Long time no chat' was the robot speaking!!

The constable who arrested Goon could have been Pipkin. I wonder what caused the mistake where they enter the 'mansion' when it should be the 'cottage'.

Fascinating to read. At this stage some human 'brushing up' is required, but I presume there is a development system in operation.
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Very interesting!!! I wonder how I would have reacted to the stories had I not known that they were written by ChatGPT? While they are a bit "flat" they are nevertheless clever and incorporate many elements of Enid Blyton's writing.
Society Member