ChatGPT and Enid Blyton

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: ChatGPT and Enid Blyton

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's great to see you on the forums, Rob (Viking Star)! :D Hope all is well with you.

The ChatGPT stories are rather wacky and seem more like summaries of stories than properly-constructed tales, but it's interesting to read them.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Thanks Katherine!

As I understand it, ChatGPT is as good as the info it has to draw on.

Given that Enid wrote several hundred books, if the contents of them were uploaded I guess that might make her an ideal candidate for ChatGPT to come up with something good..

I guess the question is how creative ChatGPT can get eg would it be able to come up with a surprise ending? Or would it just come up with something that was a bit pick and mix from existing books and therefore nothing new, and in danger of being a bit 'flat as Boodi 2 sensed with the short story?
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Most interesting and great to see you back again Rob! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

The rather more intersting question is - how intelligent AI is allowed to become? Do we want to have things like Data or his more evil brother Lore? Or will we allow an intelligent net like Skynet? As long as we're able to pull the plug off, we'll always be a threat to those AI-systems, and then there's the danger they'll develop mechanisms to prevent this.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Interesting... but with very little direct speech, reading it reminds me of the precis work we used to do in English lessons when we had to rewrite a passage in the third person. I always enjoyed doing this. We had to start our work with 'the writer said that...' (This was 'O' level work in the 1950s) Anyone else remember it?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Yes, that's what I meant when I said that they're more like summaries of stories.

I haven't found ChatGPT to be very accurate on the whole. When I asked if it would be possible for me to live on only ten foods which would provide all my dietary needs, four of the foods it recommended were grains. It wouldn't have been a particularly healthy diet. Things improved when I asked it to add ten more foods to the list, and to find an alternative to almonds because I'm allergic to them and to nuts in general (I think it chose chia seeds as a replacement).

Of course, technology develops at a fast pace and the capabilities of ChatGPT etc. are increasing all the time. Members of the public aren't given access to the more advanced models.

Wolfgang, I remember reading some years ago of two AI robots being shut down because they'd begun communicating with each other in a language which they'd invented, and the researchers couldn't understand them. These days, maybe another AI could be used to decode the new language!

Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

Daisy wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 10:10 it reminds me of the precis work we used to do in English lessons when we had to rewrite a passage in the third person.
You could do it the other way round ...

"But I don't have a leak" objected Mildred to the boy claiming to be a plumber. "Yes you do, it is in the kitchen" said Fatty "and while I go in and repair it please show my friends to your bedroom."
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

Anita that's rather scary re. the secret language!

Re accuracy ChatGPT is, I believe, largely if not whole-ly based on information to be found on the internet. So I guess whatever it comes up with needs to be treated with the same degree of judgement - although I guess in the case of ChatGPT info one doesn't know the source of the info.

But it can be very helpful - for example I'm doing a little local history project and I asked where I could find photographs.

Another attraction of it is that it's actually quite easy to use - as easy as doing a Google search.

Anyhow.... back on topic, I have just asked:

Is Enid blyton the second best selling children's author of all time?

And the reply was.....

ChatGPT
Yes, Enid Blyton is often regarded as one of the best-selling children's authors of all time. In fact, she is often considered the best-selling children's author in the world after J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series. Blyton's books have sold millions of copies worldwide and continue to be popular among young readers. Her works, including the Famous Five series, the Secret Seven series, and the Noddy series, have captured the imaginations of generations of children and have been translated into numerous languages. Enid Blyton's enduring popularity and vast book sales have solidified her position as one of the most successful children's authors of all time.

Ps. Hello Pete! And Anita of course!
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Wolfgang wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 05:29As long as we're able to pull the plug off, we'll always be a threat to those AI-systems, and then there's the danger they'll develop mechanisms to prevent this.
     I am reminded here of the famous science-fiction short-short story "Answer" by Fredric Brown. It can be found, in its entirety, here:

https://www.roma1.infn.it/~anzel/answer.html

If it threatens to become dangerous, there is the additional danger that, if we leave it too late, we may not be able to pull the plug, as this story (probably from the 1950s) illustrates. The point about two computers communicating in a language invented by themselves, which humans couldn't decipher, is really quite scary - I fully understand the decision to dismantle them, and they are lucky they were able to. However, if the complete design of the computers and the A.I. programming they were working by was still retained, I wonder if it might be possible to analyze it and work out what the two computers were discussing in that language they'd invented.
     Some years ago, the computer scientist Ray Kurzweil estimated that the point at which computer intelligence would exceed human intelligence would be around 2029 - and that was assuming that Moore's law continued to apply. Moore's law was an observation rather than a strict law, but it is to the effect that computational power of computers doubles every 2 years, or 18 months in some mentions.
     What I wonder about is whether quantum computers will change the whole scenario - very much in the direction of making A.I. even cleverer still. I do not really know what a quantum computer is, and I have never heard anyone who talked about them tell us in understandable language what they are. I put it to my older brother, a high-level computer professional, and he just said straight out he couldn't explain to me - I might try him again, though. I'm not actually sure whether he meant he couldn't explain it in a way I would understand, or whether he meant he couldn't explain it at all, even using technical language. But I don't trust quantum computers somehow - I have long felt that if anything of a technological nature came up and no-one could even describe it in understandable English, then it should not be trusted at all.
     Bitcoin, or digital or crypto currencies generally, fall into this category for me. Not once has anyone so far been able to tell me what Bitcoin even is - and any time I've heard it discussed on the radio, not once did any of the experts ever tell us what it is and how it works. The most you get is vague references to the blockchain - and of course they don't tell us what the blockchain is. I will never trust anything, nor stake anything important on it, that experts cannot explain in ordinary English.

Regards, Michael.
Last edited by MJE on 06 Jun 2023, 10:54, edited 2 times in total.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Funny this topic has come up here, because a few weeks ago, I tried getting ChatGPT to write a Blyton-style story. The results were interesting but in the end rather disappointing. It wasn't able to do much in the way of creating a plot without some input from me on what the plot should be about - but once I gave it more information, it became a matter of it not so much creating a plot as regurgitating in new wording what I had just given it - as I think the following exchange will make clear. (It was all in one continuous session.)
     I thought my exchange on this topic may be of some interest, even though it is rather long. It shows me making several attempts to refine the product the computer gave, but I'm not sure how successful it was. It could be that I didn't ask in the right way, or ask for the right results - there may be other ways of putting the request to it that may give better results.
     This is the exchange that took place. The actual wording is unedited, but I have formatted the text for clarity - using lines of dashes to separate story extracts from other text, and using spacing and indentation to try to make the various elements of the exchange clearer. So the arrangement of things on the page is partly my own, but the wording is absolutely unchanged.

M.J.E.:
     Can you write a novel?

ChatGPT:
     Yes, I can help you generate text, including writing stories or passages for a novel. However, it's important to note that as an AI language model, I don't possess personal experiences or emotions. While I can generate creative and coherent text based on patterns and examples from the training data, the resulting story may lack the depth and subjective elements that human authors bring to their work.
     If you have a specific idea, plot, or theme in mind, I'd be more than happy to assist you by generating some text or helping with certain aspects of your novel. Just let me know the details or any specific prompts you have in mind, and I'll do my best to provide the assistance you need.

M.J.E.:
     I just wanted to try something. As a boy I read a lot of Enid Blyton novels, and have occasionally read them later for nostalgia also. One series of books by Enid Blyton was her "Famous Five" books. I was wondering whether you could write a new Famous Five novel, doing it as much as you can in the style of Enid Blyton's own novels. Is that too difficult a thing to ask?

ChatGPT:
     I'd be delighted to give it a try! Enid Blyton's Famous Five series is beloved by many readers, and I can certainly attempt to write a short passage in a style reminiscent of her work. While I may not capture the exact essence of Enid Blyton's writing, I can try to emulate the charm and adventure present in the Famous Five stories. Please keep in mind that this will be a new story, not a continuation of an existing Famous Five book.
     Here's a short passage in the style of Enid Blyton:

----------------------------------------
     It was the height of summer, and the sun cast a warm golden glow over Kirrin Cottage. Julian, Dick, Anne, George, and their faithful dog Timmy were gathered in the garden, eager for their next adventure.
     "George, have you heard any whispers of excitement in the village?" Julian asked, a sparkle in his eyes.
     George, with her tousled hair and determined spirit, replied, "Oh, Julian, you won't believe what I've heard! There have been reports of a mysterious shipwreck along the treacherous coastline. They say it's laden with hidden treasure!"
     The Famous Five's hearts skipped a beat. Treasure! Their minds filled with images of sparkling jewels and ancient maps leading to secret hideaways.
     Without a moment's hesitation, the Five sprang into action. They packed their provisions, map, and torches into their trusty satchels and headed towards the craggy cliffs.
     As they made their way down the rugged path, the sea breeze ruffled their hair and the cries of seagulls echoed overhead. With Timmy leading the way, his tail wagging in excitement, they soon reached the secluded cove where the shipwreck was said to be.
     The scene that greeted them was a sight to behold. The wreckage lay scattered across the sand, and the waves lapped at its remnants. Julian's eyes gleamed with anticipation as he surveyed the area, hoping to uncover the treasure's hiding place.
     Little did they know that this adventure would test their courage, puzzle-solving skills, and the unbreakable bond they shared as a team. They were about to embark on a thrilling quest, filled with twists and turns that would keep them on the edge of their seats.
     With hearts pounding and the spirit of adventure guiding their every step, the Famous Five began their search for the hidden treasure, ready to uncover the secrets of the shipwreck and bring justice to the unknown misdeeds that led to its demise.

I hope you enjoyed this short passage in the style of Enid Blyton's Famous Five books. Let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with!

M.J.E.:
     Just give me a few mintes to actually read that, please...

ChatGPT:
     Of course, take your time to read through the passage. Whenever you're ready, feel free to share your thoughts or let me know if there's anything else you'd like assistance with.

M.J.E.:
     Not bad, although I saw a few things that weren't quite right. I can tell, because I know the Famous Five books very well, and I know what things might be mentioned in them, and which ones wouldn't.

ChatGPT:
     I appreciate your feedback, and I understand the importance of capturing the authentic essence of the Famous Five books. As an AI language model, I rely on patterns and examples from the training data, which may not always perfectly match the style and content of specific books or authors.
     If you have any specific suggestions or corrections to improve the passage, I would be more than happy to incorporate them and refine it further. Your input is valuable in helping me create a more accurate representation of the Famous Five series.

M.J.E.:
     One phrase that stood out that Enid Blyton wouldn't have used was "trusty satchels". It's just not an idiom Enid Blyton used.

ChatGPT:
     Thank you for pointing that out. You're right that "trusty satchels" may not align with Enid Blyton's specific style and vocabulary choices. Enid Blyton had her own unique way of describing objects and settings in her stories.
     To ensure a more authentic representation, I will make note of this and avoid such modern phrases in future attempts to capture the style of Enid Blyton's Famous Five books. I appreciate your keen eye for detail, and please let me know if there are any other specific elements you'd like me to consider or if you have any further suggestions to enhance the passage.

M.J.E.:
     Would you able to write a complete novel, or at least a complete short story, about the Famous Five, with a self-contained plot? In contrast, the above could have been part of a story, but it was not complete.

ChatGPT:
     As an AI language model, I can certainly help you generate a complete short story about the Famous Five with a self-contained plot. While I can provide you with a story, please keep in mind that it may not have the same level of depth, character development, and intricacies as a novel crafted by a human author.
     If you're interested, please provide me with some specific details or prompts for the story. For example, you can mention the setting, a key event, or any particular themes or challenges you'd like to see the Famous Five encounter. The more information you provide, the better I can tailor the story to your preferences.

M.J.E.:
     Okay - give me a minute or two, and I will try to think up a few plot guidelines to follow.

ChatGPT:
     Certainly, take your time to gather your thoughts and come up with the plot guidelines. Whenever you're ready, please provide the details, and I'll be here to assist you in creating a short story about the Famous Five.

M.J.E.:
     Julian, Dick, and Anne arrive at Kirrin Cottage, expecting to find George and Timmy ready to greet them. But no-one is there, not even Uncle Quentin or Aunt Fanny. But Dick's keen ears detect sounds from in the house, and they break a window to get in, and find George and Fanny tied up. Uncle Quentin is not there, and as soon as Georgeo and Fanny are ungagged, they explain that men came up and kidnapped Quentin, and bound Fanny and George to stop them calling the police too soon. The Five decide to look into the case, and set out to find and rescue Quentin and bring the criminals to justice, and manage to trace them to Kirrin Island, where they have taken Quentin. With much danger along the way, the Five confront the criminals, and manage to trick the men and rescue Quentin and leave the men imprisoned somehow for the police to come and arrest. The reason for their kidnapping Quentin also comes to light along the way. Do you think you can write a complete story that follows that general guideline?

ChatGPT:
     Certainly! Based on your plot guidelines, I'll create a complete short story following the general storyline you described. Here's your Famous Five adventure:

Title: The Mysterious Kidnapping at Kirrin Cottage

Chapter 1: An Empty Cottage
     Julian, Dick, and Anne arrived at Kirrin Cottage with anticipation, expecting a warm welcome from George and Timmy. To their surprise, no one was there. The cottage stood silent and empty, sending a shiver down their spines. Sensing something amiss, Dick's keen ears caught a faint sound coming from inside.

Chapter 2: A Startling Discovery
     Determined to investigate, the trio broke a window and cautiously entered the cottage. To their shock, they discovered George and Aunt Fanny bound and gagged. Quickly freeing them, George and Fanny explained that Uncle Quentin had been kidnapped by a group of men. The captors had tied them up to prevent them from contacting the police too soon.

Chapter 3: The Search Begins
     With their hearts filled with concern for Uncle Quentin's safety, the Famous Five resolved to unravel the mystery and rescue him. They gathered clues from the cottage and began their search, determined to bring the criminals to justice.

Chapter 4: Tracing the Kidnappers
     Through their investigations, the Five managed to trace the kidnappers' steps to Kirrin Island. They embarked on a treacherous journey, encountering danger at every turn, from treacherous cliffs to hidden traps.

Chapter 5: Confronting the Criminals
     As they reached Kirrin Island, the Five found themselves face-to-face with the kidnappers. With quick thinking and teamwork, they devised a plan to outwit the criminals, aiming to rescue Uncle Quentin and ensure their capture.

Chapter 6: The Great Rescue
     Amidst suspense and excitement, the Famous Five executed their plan. They employed their resourcefulness, cunning, and bravery to overcome the obstacles set by the criminals. In a thrilling climax, they managed to rescue Uncle Quentin and left the captors securely detained for the authorities to apprehend.

Chapter 7: The Hidden Motive
     As the mystery unraveled, it was revealed that the kidnappers sought to exploit Uncle Quentin's scientific knowledge for their own gain. The Five uncovered their devious plot and ensured that justice prevailed.

Epilogue: A Celebration of Victory
     With Uncle Quentin safely reunited with his family, the Famous Five returned to Kirrin Cottage. They celebrated their victory over a well-deserved feast, rejoicing in their unity and triumph over adversity. The captivating tale of their adventure would be etched in their memories as yet another chapter in the remarkable chronicles of the Famous Five.

I hope this story captures the spirit of adventure and mystery found in Enid Blyton's Famous Five series. Feel free to let me know if there are any specific elements you'd like to add or modify, and I'll be happy to make adjustments according to your preferences.

M.J.E.:
     I've just read that. Not bad, but it does really just re-state what I wrote in new words. I was wondering if you could fill it out with detail to make it read like a proper story. That reads more like the kind of summary a book reviewer might give.

ChatGPT:
     I apologize for the brevity of the summary-style story. I understand your desire for a more detailed narrative that reads like a proper story. Allow me to expand upon the plot and provide a more fleshed-out version of the story. Here's an updated version with additional details and descriptive elements:

Julian, Dick, and Anne eagerly arrived at Kirrin Cottage, their excitement overshadowed by the absence of George and Timmy. The cottage stood eerily quiet, its windows reflecting a gloomy atmosphere. The air was heavy with anticipation, but it soon turned into concern when the trio discovered that the cottage was seemingly deserted. Not even Uncle Quentin or Aunt Fanny were present.

Dick's acute hearing detected faint sounds emanating from within the house, like hushed voices carried by the wind. Determined to investigate, they made a quick decision to break a window and gain entry. Shards of glass tinkled as they cautiously stepped over the threshold. Their hearts raced with worry until they stumbled upon a shocking sight – George and Aunt Fanny, bound and gagged, their eyes filled with relief as the rescuers approached.

Chapter 3: The Hidden Clues
     After untying George and Fanny, the Five gathered around the comforting warmth of the fireplace. George, with her trademark determination, recounted the events that led to their captivity. A group of mysterious men had stormed into the cottage, snatched Uncle Quentin, and swiftly subdued Fanny and George to prevent their immediate alerting of the authorities.

Chapter 4: Unraveling the Mystery
     With their investigative instincts ignited, the Famous Five meticulously examined the cottage for any possible clues left behind by the kidnappers. Crumpled notes, muddy footprints, and a scrap of torn fabric were among the intriguing findings. Combining their individual strengths and knowledge, the Five pieced together a puzzle that hinted at the kidnappers' motives and their likely location.

Chapter 5: The Perilous Journey
     Guided by their accumulated evidence, the Five embarked on a perilous journey to Kirrin Island. They navigated treacherous paths, encountering formidable obstacles such as rugged cliffs, hidden caves, and menacing wildlife. Each step brought them closer to their goal but also heightened the risks they faced.

Chapter 6: The Confrontation
     As twilight painted the island's landscape in shadows, the Five stumbled upon a secluded hideout where the kidnappers had taken Uncle Quentin. Stealthily, they observed the criminals, their whispers laden with malice. Determined to rescue Uncle Quentin and bring the criminals to justice, the Famous Five devised a clever plan, exploiting the element of surprise and their knowledge of the surroundings.

Chapter 7: Triumph and Justice
     With a seamless execution of their strategy, the Five outsmarted the criminals, catching them off guard. In a thrilling showdown, they overpowered the villains and safely rescued Uncle Quentin from his captors' clutches. The authorities were alerted, and the villains were left securely restrained, awaiting their inevitable fate.

Epilogue: A Bond Strengthened
     Back at Kirrin Cottage, the Five gathered around a crackling fire, basking in the warmth of victory. Laughter filled the room as they recounted their perilous journey, relishing their triumph over adversity. Uncle Quentin, filled with gratitude, expressed his admiration for the resourcefulness and courage of the Famous Five. It was a testament to their unbreakable bond as a team, forged through countless adventures.

I hope this expanded version provides the level of detail and storytelling you were looking for. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to further

M.J.E.:
     I don't like to sound fault-finding. It is better, but it is still generic and vague - still a summary or precis of a story rather than the story itself. If I ask you to fill that out to 20,000 words, for instance (roughly - doesn't need to be exact), would that automatically lead to details appearing - such as exactly how the Five outwitted the criminals? Or would it just lead to more details of a "padding" kind, such as descriptions of the scenery, or details of dialogue, and so on?

ChatGPT:
     I apologize if the previous attempts still fell short of your expectations. If you were to request a longer story of around 20,000 words, it would provide more room for detailed descriptions, character development, and the exploration of specific events and scenes. This additional length would allow for a deeper dive into the Five's strategies, the nuances of their interactions, and the unfolding of the plot.
     While the story would naturally include elements like descriptions of the scenery, dialogues, and character interactions, the focus would primarily be on fleshing out the plot, expanding the action sequences, and providing a more immersive reading experience. This would involve providing more details about the Five's investigations, their discoveries, the challenges they face, and the steps they take to outwit the criminals.
     By expanding the story to a substantial word count, it becomes feasible to incorporate the specific details you mentioned, such as the Five's ingenious plan to outsmart the criminals, the obstacles they encounter along the way, and the strategies they employ to rescue Uncle Quentin. The additional length allows for a more comprehensive exploration of the story, including the development of tension, suspense, and character dynamics.
     If you would like me to proceed with a more detailed and extended version of the story, please let me know, and I'll be happy to continue expanding the narrative to create a more immersive and engaging Famous Five adventure.

M.J.E.:
     Okay - can you give that a try, please?

ChatGPT:
     Certainly! I'll be glad to give it a try and expand the story further. Here's an extended version of the Famous Five adventure, building upon the plot you provided:

Julian, Dick, and Anne arrived at Kirrin Cottage, their eager footsteps slowing down as they realized something was amiss. The air hung heavy with an eerie silence, a stark contrast to the usual lively atmosphere of the beloved cottage. Their anticipation turned to concern when they found the cottage devoid of life—no George, no Timmy, and no sign of Uncle Quentin or Aunt Fanny.

The unsettling stillness was broken by Dick's acute ears that detected muffled sounds from within the cottage. A mixture of worry and determination fueled their actions as they broke a window, carefully navigating the shards of glass. Their hearts raced as they entered the dimly lit interior, where they discovered George and Aunt Fanny, bound and gagged, their eyes pleading for help.

Chapter 3: The Hidden Clues
     After swiftly freeing George and Fanny, the Five gathered in the study, the flickering candle casting dancing shadows on the walls. Fanny, her voice quivering, recounted the terrifying moment when the criminals had burst into the cottage, forcibly taking Uncle Quentin captive. The Five's investigative instincts kicked into high gear as they meticulously searched for any clue that could lead them to the kidnappers' identity and their motive.

Chapter 4: Unraveling the Mystery
     Hidden within Uncle Quentin's study, the Five discovered a cryptic note tucked beneath a stack of research papers—a message laced with hints and enigmatic symbols. Determined to decipher its meaning, they pored over dusty tomes and consulted maps, unraveling a web of secrets that revealed a nefarious plot tied to Uncle Quentin's scientific breakthrough.

Chapter 5: The Perilous Journey
     Armed with newfound knowledge, the Famous Five embarked on a perilous journey, tracing the kidnappers' steps through treacherous terrain and hidden pathways. From traversing ancient forests to navigating treacherous cliffs, they faced numerous obstacles that tested their resolve and trust in one another. Their relentless pursuit led them closer to the truth and the heart of danger.

Chapter 6: The Confrontation
     Guided by a combination of intuition and their accumulated evidence, the Five stealthily infiltrated Kirrin Island under the cloak of darkness. The moon cast an ethereal glow upon their determined faces as they edged closer to the hideout where Uncle Quentin was held captive. With each step, the tension grew, and the risks multiplied.

Chapter 7: Triumph and Justice
     In a gripping showdown on Kirrin Island, the Five engaged in a high-stakes game of wits with the cunning kidnappers. Their intricate plan involved decoys, disguises, and cleverly placed traps to outsmart their adversaries. Using their unique strengths and teamwork, they orchestrated a masterful scheme that turned the tables, leaving the criminals bewildered and apprehended.

Epilogue: A Bond Strengthened
     As the sun rose over Kirrin Island, the Famous Five emerged victorious, their hearts filled with a profound sense of accomplishment. The reunited family, their smiles reflecting both relief and gratitude, returned to Kirrin Cottage. Around a crackling fire, they shared stories of their harrowing adventure, their laughter echoing through the walls, solidifying the bond that had withstood countless trials.

I hope this extended version provides a more immersive and detailed Famous Five adventure. It delves deeper into the investigations, challenges, and strategies employed by the Five as they race against time to rescue Uncle Quentin and uncover the truth. If there

[ In my record of this discussion, this sentence remains unfinished, just as you see here. ChatGPT does not usually leave sentences unfinished without even a full-stop - but I have found that a copy of this dialogue still exists on the web site I accessed ChatGPT through, and the sentence is incomplete there also - thus eliminating one possible reason for the cut-off sentence, namely that I edited my copy of the dialogue carelessly and pruned the sentence by accident. I don't actually recall the actual moment where I first noticed the cut sentence, but I think it is probably due to ChatGPT getting hung up due to some problem and just leaving the sentence incomplete. I have observed it do this a few times, and presume it is due to a software error such as infinite recursion bringing the program to a halt - with the software also obviously containing other procedures by which it can break such a stalemate and get the program to continue the dialogue. ]

M.J.E.:
     I doubt that that is anywhere near 20,000 words. Am I asking for more than you are able to do?

ChatGPT:
     Apologies for the misunderstanding. You are correct; the previous version I provided is not close to 20,000 words. I misunderstood your request. While I can continue expanding the story further, reaching a specific word count like 20,000 words might be challenging within the limitations of our current conversation format. However, I can certainly continue adding more detail and depth to the story.
     If you have any specific scenes, dialogues, or plot points you would like me to focus on, please let me know, and I'll do my best to incorporate them into the narrative and provide a more engaging and immersive story experience.

M.J.E.:
     I see. It may cause difficulties if we keep trying to make it longer. I am periodically highlighting our dialogue and pasting it into a text file so I can save it and read it properly later, and it will get more difficult to do that if we keep lenghtening the story. Are you able to compose a full-lengh story and put it into an e-mail (as plain text) and send it to an e-mail address I give you?

ChatGPT:
     I apologize for the inconvenience, but as an AI language model, I don't have direct access to email or the capability to send emails. My responses are generated within this chat interface. However, you can manually copy and paste our conversation into a text file for future reference.
     If you have any specific requests or if there's anything else I can assist you with, please let me know, and I'll be happy to help within the constraints of this chat format.

M.J.E.:
     Is there an actual word limit to what you can do within the current format?

ChatGPT:
     Yes, there is a practical limit to the length of the text that can be generated within the current chat format. While there isn't a strict word limit, there are constraints on the total tokens (words or characters) that can be processed within a single interaction. As the conversation progresses, the available token count decreases, making it necessary to truncate or shorten the text to fit within the limit.
     The specific token limit can vary depending on the context and the platform being used to interact with the AI model. In most cases, the limit is around 4096 tokens, but it's important to note that longer conversations can quickly approach or exceed this limit.
     If you have a lengthy story or text that you would like me to generate, it may be more practical to break it into smaller segments or chapters that can fit within the token limit. This allows for a more manageable and consistent generation of content.

M.J.E.:
     And could the attempt to go beyond that cause you to freeze and just stop interacting?

ChatGPT:
     If an interaction exceeds the token limit, the response from the AI model may be cut off or truncated, leading to an incomplete or abrupt response. However, exceeding the token limit typically wouldn't cause the AI model or the chat interface to freeze completely. Instead, the response may be cut off, and further interactions may continue as normal within the remaining token limit.
     It's important to keep in mind the token limit and ensure that the conversation stays within reasonable bounds to maintain a smooth and coherent interaction. If the conversation approaches or exceeds the token limit, it's advisable to consider splitting the content or finding alternative ways to continue the conversation while staying within the limitations of the platform.

M.J.E.:
     I don't have any idea how many tokens are left at any given moment. If I ask, can you tell me how many are left so I know not to ask too much?

ChatGPT:
     I apologize for the confusion, but as an AI language model, I don't have direct access to information about the token count during our conversation. The token count is managed by the system and isn't visible to me or shared in real-time. I don't have a way to provide you with an accurate count of the remaining tokens.
     To ensure a smoother interaction and to avoid reaching the token limit, it's generally a good practice to keep the conversation concise and focused. Breaking longer requests or texts into smaller parts can help in managing the token count effectively.
     If you have any specific questions or requests, please let me know, and I'll do my best to assist you within the constraints of the token limit.

M.J.E.:
     So if I really want to get you to write a full-length story, would it work better if I subdivided my idea into chapters, gave you a general summary of one chapter at a time, and have you fill that out?

ChatGPT:
     Yes, subdividing your idea into chapters and providing a general summary of one chapter at a time would be a more practical approach. By focusing on one chapter at a time, it allows for a more manageable and focused interaction within the token limit.
     You can provide a summary or outline of the specific events, plot points, or key moments you would like to see in each chapter. Based on that summary, I can then expand upon it, add details, dialogue, and descriptions to create a more fleshed-out narrative for each chapter.
     This approach allows for a step-by-step progression through the story, ensuring that each chapter receives the attention it deserves while working within the constraints of the current chat format.

M.J.E.:
     I see. But that of course means I am playing a larger role in creating the story. My original idea was to see if you could create the entire story on your own, with minimal help from me. But I see that, at least within the token limit you mentioned, that is not currently possible.

ChatGPT:
     You're correct that within the limitations of the current chat format and token count, creating a full-length story without significant input from you becomes challenging. While I can generate text and help expand upon your ideas, creating an entire story from start to finish would require a larger context and a deeper understanding of the characters, plot development, and desired narrative arc.
     However, I'll do my best to assist you in crafting a story by expanding on the chapters and ideas you provide. Think of it as a collaborative effort where you set the overall direction, and I help bring your ideas to life by adding detail and depth to the narrative.
     If you have specific chapter summaries or ideas you'd like me to expand upon, please feel free to share them, and we can work together to develop a more engaging and complete story.

M.J.E.:
     I might do that another time, but I think not now. I have already begun to get at least a slight idea of what you can do in this line.

ChatGPT:
     I understand, and that's absolutely fine. Whenever you feel ready to explore storytelling or any other topic in the future, don't hesitate to reach out. I'm here to assist you with any questions or requests you may have. Feel free to return whenever you need assistance or simply want to engage in a conversation. Have a great day!
Last edited by MJE on 06 Jun 2023, 15:14, edited 2 times in total.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

MJE wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 20:15The point about two computers communicated in a language invented by themselves, which humans couldn't decipher, is really quite scary - I fully understand the decision to dismantle them, and they are lucky they were able to. However, if the complete design of the computers and the A.I. programming they were working by was still retained, I wonder if it might be possible to analyze it and work out what the two computers were discussing in that language they'd invented.
I was wondering that too. If humans couldn't decode the language, maybe another AI could!

Michael, I've read with interest your conversation with ChatGPT, and your attempt to get it to write a Famous Five novel or short story. I agree that the results read like "a summary or precis of a story rather than the story itself", as was the case with the stories it produced for Rob (Viking Star). Once again there's a lack of dialogue, which Daisy noted previously.

I'm also struck by the overblown prose, which isn't like Enid Blyton's style at all. To give just one example:
As the sun rose over Kirrin Island, the Famous Five emerged victorious, their hearts filled with a profound sense of accomplishment. The reunited family, their smiles reflecting both relief and gratitude, returned to Kirrin Cottage. Around a crackling fire, they shared stories of their harrowing adventure, their laughter echoing through the walls, solidifying the bond that had withstood countless trials.
The characters are given very little individuality and Timmy is barely mentioned!

Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 08:40I was wondering that too. If humans couldn't decode the language, maybe another AI could!
     In a way, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't try that (apparently - I had heard nothing of this until the brief mention of it here, so I don't know the context). Perhaps it was thought that leaving the A.I.s intact might be dangerous once it began to look as if they might be planning something their human masters couldn't decode, and pulling the plug before any harm was done was the absolute priority. I mean, those A.I.s could possibly do damage, even if only inadvertently, if they could get onto the Internet and interfere with important systems elsewhere, just like hackers can do. However, I would have thought that, while experiments are being done with A.I.s, a basic precaution to take as a matter of course would be to place them in a totally (electronically) isolated environment where they could not affect anything outside if things went badly wrong and began to look possibly dangerous. But if reading a vast range of Internet sources is part of the way these A.I.s learn, then that would not be compatible with placing them in complete electronic isolation.
     I seem to recall that Stephen Hawking warned of the possible dangers of A.I.s, just as he warned against letting aliens from other solar systems know of our presence - they might not be friendly to us, he thought.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:Michael, I've read with interest your conversation with ChatGPT, and your attempt to get it to write a Famous Five novel or short story. I agree that the results read like "a summary or precis of a story rather than the story itself", as was the case with the stories it produced for Rob (Viking Star). Once again there's a lack of dialogue, which Daisy noted previously.

I'm also struck by the overblown prose, which isn't like Enid Blyton's style at all. To give just one example:
The characters are given very little individuality and Timmy is barely mentioned!
     I think every point you make is correct, Anita. In my dialogue with the computer, I pointed out a few things that it put into the story that I didn't think matched, but I by no means pointed out every such thing - I didn't have the whole night to spare, and it would have taken that!
     In particular, you are correct about the "purple prose" the computer used - I wonder where it picked that up from: certainly not from Enid Blyton!

I heard a discussion about ChatGPT on the radio a week or two ago, and listeners could ring in with their questions. One caller said he had asked the computer to generate an essay of a couple of hundred words on the inside of a ping-pong ball - which sounds like an attempt to choose a topic it would be impossible to say much about - but the caller was quite impressed at what the computer was able to write about the inside of a ping-pong ball. He didn't detail what it said, but, out of curiosity, I asked it to write an essay about the inside of a ping-pong ball - and I was rather astonished at what it managed to come up with. I suspect it drew upon the physics and mathematics of ping-pong balls to write what it did, even if it didn't explicitly mention actual mathematics or anything. I suspect it actually does that kind of thing rather better than writing fiction.
     I wanted to test it with writing music, but it told me that I would need to install extra software on my computer if it were to be able to communicate its results to me. Feeling that that would be a bit too complicated, I gave up on that idea.
     Anyway, my overall conclusion is... I don't think writers need to worry about their jobs for quite a while yet.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That is all very interesting. Anyone keen to have a weekly serial written by ChatGBT? From what I see so far, the chapters would be rather short!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

ChatGPT would need a lot of human help to be up to weekly serial standard!
Anita Bensoussane wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 10:35I remember reading some years ago of two AI robots being shut down because they'd begun communicating with each other in a language which they'd invented, and the researchers couldn't understand them. These days, maybe another AI could be used to decode the new language!
MJE wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 10:29      In a way, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't try that (apparently - I had heard nothing of this until the brief mention of it here, so I don't know the context).
I've just looked up the story and it's not quite as creepy as I made it sound! Technology journalist Chris Baraniuk wrote an article on it for the BBC back in August 2017. He says:
The newspapers have a scoop today - it seems that artificial intelligence (AI) could be out to get us.

"'Robot intelligence is dangerous': Expert's warning after Facebook AI 'develop their own language'", says the Mirror.

Similar stories have appeared in the Sun, the Independent, the Telegraph and in other online publications.

It sounds like something from a science fiction film - the Sun even included a few pictures of scary-looking androids.

So, is it time to panic and start preparing for apocalypse at the hands of machines?
Probably not! Chris Baraniuk continues:
Way back in June [2017], Facebook published a blog post about interesting research on chatbot programs - which have short, text-based conversations with humans or other bots. The story was covered by New Scientist and others at the time.

Facebook had been experimenting with bots that negotiated with each other over the ownership of virtual items.

It was an effort to understand how linguistics played a role in the way such discussions played out for negotiating parties, and crucially the bots were programmed to experiment with language in order to see how that affected their dominance in the discussion.

A few days later, some coverage picked up on the fact that in a few cases the exchanges had become - at first glance - nonsensical:

-Bob: "I can can I I everything else"
-Alice: "Balls have zero to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to"

Although some reports insinuate that the bots had at this point invented a new language in order to elude their human masters, a better explanation is that the neural networks were simply trying to modify human language for the purposes of more successful interactions - whether their approach worked or not was another matter.

As technology news site Gizmodo said: "In their attempts to learn from each other, the bots thus began chatting back and forth in a derived shorthand - but while it might look creepy, that's all it was."
Towards the end of his article, Chris says:
Facebook's system was being used for research, not public-facing applications, and it was shut down because it was doing something the team wasn't interested in studying - not because they thought they had stumbled on an existential threat to mankind.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40790258

Society Member
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 08:40
Timmy is barely mentioned!
ChatGPT obviously doesn't understand yet how dogs' minds work :D