Famous Five Musical 2022

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Famous Five Musical 2022

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A brand new Famous Five musical (i.e. not the Smuggler's Gold musical) is coming to Mold and Chichester later this year:

https://www.whatsonstage.com/chichester ... w_kgpJYzs0

Co-produced by Chichester Festival Theatre and Theatr Clwyd in Mold, the show sees Blyton's tale adapted for the stage by Elinor Cook, with music and lyrics by Theo Jamieson (U.Me) and directed by Clwyd's artistic director Tamara Harvey...

...It will run at Clwyd from 23 September to 15 October, before transferring to Chichester from 21 October to 12 November.

Harvey said today "I loved Enid Blyton's stories when I was a kid – the magical worlds she created and the daring adventures she and her characters took me on – and so it's a huge privilege to have the chance to bring The Famous Five to life on stage. Elinor and Theo have perfectly captured the spirit of the books, whilst also bringing their own wit and sense of mischief to this brand new musical."
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Famous Five Musical 2022

Post by pete9012S »

Sounds good. Thank you Anita.
I used to cycle to our caravan in Pantymwyn near Mold when I was a little bit younger, so I can easily attend this.
I wonder how much tickets will cost?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Sounds interesting.

I have the video of Smuggler's Gold which I seem to recall I quite enjoyed. Sadly I no longer have a working video player so can't watch it any more. :(

I hope the new musical will be good, although I don't think I'll be travelling that far to go and see it.
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

It seems strange to me that they play it in just two locations for some three weeks each. Surely a week in each would be adequate, then giving four other locations around the country a chance so more people can see it. Of course they may be planning further performances elsewhere but wouldn't they normally announce the complete tour at the outset?
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

It's being produced by the two theatres concerned for their own benefit. No doubt the author(s) will be hoping for a rousing success so they can take it on tour later.

If the photo is anything to go by, they might be using children to play the children's roles (unlike eg. The Railway Children, which used adults). If so, that would perhaps restrict touring as well.
DSR
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I mentioned it to my wife and said she probably wouldn't want to attend the show.
She surprised me by saying she'd love to come with me! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

If the show was on near where I live, I would see it. It would certainly be better if children rather than adults played the Famous Five. After seeing Matilda twice and Mary Poppins in the West End I realise how amazingly talented children can be on stage.
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Post by Jomo »

I hope this musical is a great interpretation, is very successful, and eventually is produced here! I would love to go! :D
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Katharine wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 23:12 I have the video of Smuggler's Gold which I seem to recall I quite enjoyed. Sadly I no longer have a working video player so can't watch it any more. :(
It's out on DVD now, too :wink:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Oh thanks Fiona, I have some money left over from Christmas/birthday - time to treat myself I think. :)
Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Barnard wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 08:24 If the show was on near where I live, I would see it. It would certainly be better if children rather than adults played the Famous Five. After seeing Matilda twice and Mary Poppins in the West End I realise how amazingly talented children can be on stage.
That's certainly true. I've seen Phantom of the Opera several times, but the best and most moving phantom was in a Pendle Hippodrome Junior Theatre version. It was a wonderful show, entirely played by children (older teenagers, mostly).
DSR
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I've seen fantastic performances from children in lots of productions. One of the most demanding roles has to be Billy in Billy Elliot the Musical. Billy is on stage for almost the whole show, not only acting and singing but dancing as well. An astonishingly challenging part.

Children and teenagers played Julian et al in Smuggler's Gold - the Musical and I hope the same will apply to the new musical.

Society Member
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Post by Jomo »

Did the creators of the musical have to get permission from Hachette to use the FF characters to put on this show?
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Theatr Clwyd and the Chichester Festival Theatre both produce a lot of shows and will certainly have got permission before proceeding.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Tony and I saw The Famous Five: a New Musical at the Chichester Festival Theatre this afternoon. I must admit I didn't find it anywhere near as good as the Malory Towers musical we saw in Bristol in 2019. Julian, Dick, Anne and George were played by adults aged 18 - 20-odd and, although they did a reasonable job of acting younger than their real ages, I didn't feel caught up in their story the way I did with the Malory Towers characters. The most endearing character was actually Timmy, a puppet whose puppeteer managed to imbue him with life and warmth so that he lit up the stage. The plot had some good elements (e.g. kidnapping, revenge, scientific experiments and secrets) but lacked pace and was punctuated by songs which served to slow down the action rather than move things along, though the musical numbers in the second half were more lively. A key scene near the end was overly comic, I thought, though it still raised a smile.

I was impressed with the props and scenery. Before the musical began, the stage was decked out with models of Kirrin Island, Kirrin Cottage, boats, etc. all beautifully lit with projections of rippling waves and a blue sky with scudding clouds. During the performance, there were flying birds on sticks and quirky sheep fashioned from suitcases! Oh, and a science lab with flasks, beakers and test tubes full of coloured liquids.

Not a terrible production by any means, but it failed to capture the spirit of the books and just didn't feel very Famous Five-ish!

Society Member