New book (2021) Froebelian Women

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

New book (2021) Froebelian Women

Post by Jomo »

Has anyone read or reviewed this book? Especially the chapter on Enid Blyton?
British Froebelian Women from the Mid-Nineteenth to the Twenty-First Century A Community of Progressive Educators
Edited By Amy Palmer, Jane Read, 2021
https://www.routledge.com/British-Froeb ... 0815393351

“British Froebelian Women from the Mid-Nineteenth to the Twenty-First Century presents a series of critical case studies of individual women who worked and advocated for the cause of Froebelian and progressive pedagogy in Britain from the mid-nineteenth century until the present day. The book presents a compelling picture of how women have contributed in powerful ways to educational life and child-centred practices….”

Chapter Five. Enid Blyton (1897-1968). Articulating Froebelian Pedagogy through Literature for Children and Teachers. Amy Palmer
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: New book (2021) Froebelian Women

Post by pete9012S »

Most interesting Jomo, many thanks.
This book was news to me.
I was interested to read in the book's abstract:
ABSTRACT
Enid Blyton was a prolific writer of children’s literature. Perennially hugely popular, she has nonetheless been a controversial figure with her books criticised both for their poor quality and for representations of class, gender and race which offend modern sensibilities. She was a Froebel-trained teacher who worked in a small preparatory school and then in her own informal school setting as she began her writing career. The impact of her Froebelian training can be seen both in her teaching practice and in the texts she produced. She wrote many handbooks and resources for teachers and was a regular contributor to the newspaper Teacher’s World until 1945. In her books for children, her identity as an educator remained evident. This chapter explores Blyton the Froebelian in all these spheres and analyses her ideas about childhood, family and community together with her principles relating to creativity, spirituality, nature studies and holistic learning. How members of the Froebelian and wider educational community viewed her and her work will also be analysed.
https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/ ... ontext=ubx
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

I want to read this - Amazon AU tells me I can have this book shipped to me from the USA for $23.83 AUD - way cheaper than the UK price.
It must have been remaindered in the USA. However I’ve blown my book budget for the fortnight so will not be able to do this straight away.
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

The book sounds interesting, although not sure if I'd buy a copy myself. Maybe my local library has a copy.

I wonder if Ipswich gets a mention as it's where Enid did her training.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I'd be interested to read the chapter on Enid but I can't work up much enthusiasm for the rest of the subject. I hope it does well though.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I too would like to read the relevant chapter when time allows. It should be possible to borrow the book from the library even if it means using inter-library loans.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Perhaps the society could persuade the publisher to forward a review copy of the book - but it may be a little late for that.