Writing up Enid Blyton - surveying Australian newspapers

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Writing up Enid Blyton - surveying Australian newspapers

Post by Jomo »

The National Library of Australia has been working steadily on the digitisation of all newspapers in its collection from 1803 onwards, in a database called TROVE. ( https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/?type=newspapers ) They are currently up to the 1990s and will catch up with the present day within a short while, perhaps a year or so.
I thought I’d do a search on “Enid Blyton” - turning up 2070 results. I’ve browsed through about one third of the pages now, sampling every third page to get a feel for the overall content, trends and patterns. I think I’ll make a project of this.

The first appearance is in a minor rural/regional paper, in the ‘Children’s Corner’ section of the Farmers' Advocate (Melbourne, Vic. : 1917 - 1924), Thursday 1 February 1923, page 14

THE BAD DOLLS.
My dollies are so naughty,
l'm afraid they've gone on strike;
They won't let me undress them,
But just do what they like.
They say they want a penny
To spend on Saturday,
And less 1 let them have it,
They'll not join in my play.
I can't let them behave so,
They'll never grow up right
But l know they will be sorry
When l don't kiss them good-night.
(From "Child Whispers," by Enid Blyton.)

The first real review is in the ‘Reviews of Recent Books’ on page 11 of the Brisbane Telegraph of Saturday 30 May 1925:

[VERSES FOR CHILDREN.
"Silver and Gold," by Enid Blyton; published by Messrs. Thomas Nelson and Sons, Ltd. London.
There is an art in 'writing verses for children, and Miss Enid Blyton is mistress of that art in a high degree. As a writer of poetry for children, Miss Blyton is well known. Thirty of her new poems are included in this book, and to add to the delight which, we are sure, it will afford to the little ones, it contains a coloured pastel drawing, and twenty line sketches of great delicacy by Mr. Lewis Banmer, the well-known Punch artist. The verses are not only delightful in themselves. They teach valuable lessons.]

By the 1930’s Enid Blyton’s works emerge as popular choices of material for the recitation segments of children’s Eisteddfods and School Concert and recital days - and yes all this activity made the papers in those days, especially the regionals.

A typical example from the Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 - 1933), Thursday 27 August 1931, page 14:
[NUNDAH EISTEDDFOD. I
The Nundah session of the Nundah Eisteddfod was presided over by Alderman. T.J.Q. Payne.
The results during the day and evening were as follows:
AFTERNOON SESSION.RECITATION, children, under 10 years. "Our Wireless" (Enid Blyton); 66 competitors…]
^^
66 girls all reciting the same piece - the poor judges! They must have been paid well :D

For the next 30 years, reviews, news and recommendations grew in number and volume and fulsome praise. Then in the late 50’s, a faint but discordant and querulous note started to creep in - well, you know the story from your own readings of the British press - Australia was a great emulator of whatever was new and trendy from both the UK and the USA, so the opinions being expressed by influential voices were heard and acted on by those who considered themselves on the intellectual cutting edge in this country. As my Indian friends will attest, it takes quite a while to unshackle the colonised mind.
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Writing up Enid Blyton - surveying Australian newspapers

Post by pete9012S »

Marvelous Jomo - just had a look around trove too. Absolutely fascinating.
Many thanks indeed.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

From THE WORLD OF BOOKS REVIEWS
In The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Saturday 24 November 1934, page 15

“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

RECENT NATURE BOOKS. Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Saturday 11 January 1936, page 5

"Hedgerow Tales," by Enid Blyton (Methuen, London),
Is a series of twenty-four Imaginative short stories for children, in which all the folk of an English hedgerow, feathered, furred and even finned, are endowed with the gift of speech. In the course of their conversations the animals tell of themselves and of their joys and trials In a simple and captivating style, to bring hours of happiness to story-loving children. The author understands the boundless world of childish fancy and how It delights in the personification of living things, so the eel tells the toad the story of how it travelled from the ocean to the pond beside the hedge, and the dormouse meets the bat and the badger and all the other neighbours. These tales are full of details, true to life, and perhaps many grown-ups after reading aloud In the nursery may be wiser about the ways of the wild. The illustrations have been drawn by Vere Temple, who sends squirrels and swallows scampering and swooping around the margins of the pages in a very charming manner.
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Jomo,
those excerpts make fascinating reading!
Society Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Not all reviewers post 1960’s were negative. Take this example from the journal Education JOURNAL OF THE NEW SOUTH WALES TEACHERS FEDERATION
Vol. 72 No 17 October 28, 1991

“The 5 Find-Outers The Mystery of the Invisible Thief”
Who is Mr Bigfeet? All the Five Find-Outers know is that is a thief who can slip in and out of houses without being seen yet he leaves the most enormous footprints! Once again it is a battle between the young detectives and Mr Goon.”
It is always a guarantee of absorbing reading for young readers if the author of the novel is Enid Blyton and “The Mystery of the Invisible Thief’ is of the same high quality as her previous works.
School holidays are never a bore for the 5 Find-Outers and “The Mystery of the Invisible Thief’ provides lively adventures and happy holiday fun, at any time of the year for its readers.
If there is a mystery anywhere, Fatty, Bets, Larry, Daisy, Pip and their dog, Buster, will be right in the thick of it, pitting their wits despite the hindrance of Mr Goon, the local bobby, as they provide valuable assistance in solving the crime with their friend Inspector Jenks.
“The Mystery of the Invisible Thief’ is perhaps the most baffling of all that the 5 Find-Outers have to solve. Who is the incredible Mr Bigfeet who disappears completely after a robbery? It is such fun finding out the answers to the puzzles posed in this book, that is is a must for every young readers bookshelf.
There will always be Enid Blyton books as long as there are children to enjoy them. To sum up: Buy this book, it will provide hours of amusement and interest.
“The Mystery of the Invisible Thief’ by Enid Blyton.
Published by Collins/Angus & Robertson (Imprint: ARMADA).
Unit 4, Eden Park Estate, 31 Waterloo Road, North Ryde, NSW 2113.
Publication date: August 1991.
Recommended retail price: $5.95.

The front page of this issue was given over to reports of success of a general strike by teachers. The Teachers Federation of NSW was a hard left organisation in those days.
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Humorist Ross Campbell in the Bulletin 6 July 1974

pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Really enjoying these Blyton snippets - many thanks Jomo.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Jomo wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 10:30 Not all reviewers post 1960’s were negative. Take this example from the journal Education JOURNAL OF THE NEW SOUTH WALES TEACHERS FEDERATION
Vol. 72 No 17 October 28, 1991

“The 5 Find-Outers The Mystery of the Invisible Thief”
Who is Mr Bigfeet? All the Five Find-Outers know is that is a thief who can slip in and out of houses without being seen yet he leaves the most enormous footprints! Once again it is a battle between the young detectives and Mr Goon.”
It is always a guarantee of absorbing reading for young readers if the author of the novel is Enid Blyton and “The Mystery of the Invisible Thief’ is of the same high quality as her previous works.
It's great that Enid Blyton was being promoted in an educational journal even in 1991.

There will always be Enid Blyton books as long as there are children to enjoy them.
What a wonderful thought!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member