An In Depth Study Of P.C Theophilus Goon

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: An In Depth Study Of P.C Theophilus Goon

Post by Barnard »

It is quite lucky for the Find-Outers that mysteries in Peterswood only happen during the school holidays.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

But maybe Goon redeemed his reputation by solving others during term time! :wink:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I think that, if Goon had solved loads of mysteries during the school terms, he would have got his promotion.
Perce

Post by Perce »

It's maybe just as well that one of the other officers let Goon down and allowed the look-out man of the jewel gang to escape and get in touch with Number 3, the one who disposed of their ill-gotten gains.

If he hadn't then I wonder what kind of promoted policeman Goon would have made. All these naps that he has during the day would have to stop. And he'd have to go on more courses than Lester Piggott to get up to speed on how to deal politely and efficiently with the general public. He'd certainly walk even more pompously around Peterswood if he was still based there, and Jenks may have shown him a bit more respect instead of taking the word of That Fat Boy every time over Goon's. And he'd have to up his game and recognise when Fatty was in disguise and pulling the wool over his eyes.

At least Goon would have the courtesy of Jenks no longer withholding vital information from him like what he did with Tupping's prior involvement with stolen dogs in The Mystery of the Disappearing Cat.

No wonder the poor man pondered long and hard over his enemies like Jenks, and the powerful and influential Trottevilles, Daykins and Hiltons.
"Here I am, struggling for promotion, doing my very best, and every time you come along and upset the apple-cart. You're a toad of a boy, that's what you are!" [PC Goon]

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Barnard wrote:I think that, if Goon had solved loads of mysteries during the school terms, he would have got his promotion.
Ah, but his inability to shine when the Find-Outers are around maybe countered his successes, leaving him, on balance, where he is. :)
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

'Strange Messages' begins at Goon's home. I would have enjoyed this section to be written by Goon in the first person, so that we could have seen the world from his viewpoint more profoundly.
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

can you imagine that if there had been a Mrs Goon, what would she have been like and what would she look like ? And what station would she have as in those days that was very important. He considered himself about cleaning ladies and people in service but obviously middle class ladies like Mrs Trotteville were above him. Perhaps a teacher. But then again Mr Good does not like children. (Although in those days some teachers did not like children either !)
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !