Would YOU have given Barney (and Miranda) a lift?

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Re: Would YOU have given Barney (and Miranda) a lift?

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I think in the 1940s hitch-hiking was quite common.

I remember thoroughly enjoying a book called The Hitch-hikers guide to Europe, which I think inspired Douglas Adams Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy.

In 1980 with a new boyfriend, we hitched to York and back :lol:

A couple of years ago, when driving back from Exeter on a dark wet night, the news on the radio was entirely doom and gloom. I saw a hitch-hiker and quickly decided that I'd take the risk of making the world less [censored] by giving him a lift. He was trying to get back to Bournemouth Uni having visited his girlfriend at Exter Uni. Result - a pleasant conversation but soaking wet car seat! I dropped him at a safe lay-by.

So, maybe I would give Barney and Miranda a lift!

Viv

(I've just discovered a second CENSORED word... 8) )
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Snehalatha

Post by Snehalatha »

In the old.days, friendships were genuine -- unlike today. I would love.to believe.that.Roger,Diana,Snubby.and Barney's.friendship would.not even have the slighest crack in it. My parents.had.friends who dtuck to them through thick and thin.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Boodi 2 wrote:If I was alone in the car I would not give anyone a lift as in this day and age it is just too dangerous. I was shocked by an incident that occurred several years ago when a kind man offered to drive my friend's mother home from the supermarket as she had no car and was trying to carry two large bags filled with groceries. She accepted his offer, but as they were driving along a lorry suddenly shot out from a side road without warning and the man had to brake sharply to avoid it, at which point my friend's mother was thrown forward and hit her knee off the dashboard. I don't think the injury to her knee was very serious, but she made a huge fuss about it and sued the man for causing her an injury, with the result that he lost his "no claims" bonus. I always felt that was dreadfully unfair to somebody who was being helpful and doing a good deed, especially as he was not to blame for the sudden appearance of the lorry. However, if I had another passenger in the car with me I might consider taking Barney and Miranda, but would ask him to keep her under control!!!
That sound a bit harsh - the person who was responsible was the lorry driver. Was that in Germany, Boodi, or another country?
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

That incident took place in Dublin and at that stage the cost of motor insurance in Ireland was higher than in a lot of other countries, so the loss of one's "No Claims Bonus" would have been keenly felt.

Due to the shock of the incident they unfortunately did not get the registration number of the lorry, as it was the lorry driver who was at fault.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Boodi 2 wrote:If I was alone in the car I would not give anyone a lift as in this day and age it is just too dangerous. I was shocked by an incident that occurred several years ago when a kind man offered to drive my friend's mother home from the supermarket as she had no car and was trying to carry two large bags filled with groceries. She accepted his offer, but as they were driving along a lorry suddenly shot out from a side road without warning and the man had to brake sharply to avoid it, at which point my friend's mother was thrown forward and hit her knee off the dashboard. I don't think the injury to her knee was very serious, but she made a huge fuss about it and sued the man for causing her an injury, with the result that he lost his "no claims" bonus. I always felt that was dreadfully unfair to somebody who was being helpful and doing a good deed, especially as he was not to blame for the sudden appearance of the lorry. However, if I had another passenger in the car with me I might consider taking Barney and Miranda, but would ask him to keep her under control!!!
How utterly disgusting of your friend's mother to do that. She didn't have to take a lift, she could have said no thanks and struggled home with her large bags of groceries. No wonder people are so reluctant to help others these days with attitudes like that :evil: .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Absolutely, I was disgusted when I heard about it and as you say, it is no wonder that people are so reluctant to help others these days, as it made me think twice before offering to help a stranger.
Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

I don't know whether this is the correct place to post the following anecdote, which made me think of Miranda, but here goes:
Recently police in California rushed to a zoo after a 911 call - only to find it had been placed by a mischievous monkey.
Dispatchers sent officers to investigate a possible emergency after receiving a call on Saturday night that had disconnected.
Sheriff's deputies in San Luis Obispo County traced the call to the offices of Zoo to You, a conservation park 320km north of Los Angeles, but could not find any humans in trouble. Undeterred, and determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, they began to investigate and found that the caller was none other than “Route” the Capuchin monkey, who had picked up the zoo's mobile phone in the golf cart that is used to travel around the 40 acre site. Capuchins are particularly inquisitive creatures, who enjoy poking and pressing objects they pick up, which is exactly what Route did and by coincidence pressed the right combination of numbers to call the police, before cutting off. What fun Miranda would have with a mobile phone!!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting story, Boodi!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I remember as a sales rep many decades ago, I 'picked-up' a young woman on a Dartmoor road. She was heading towards Cornwall, which was where I was heading after my next call. We had a fascinating conversation and she was a good travelling companion as I spent many hours driving alone. However, I wouldn't dream of doing this today, and look back on this event with some angst, which is such a shame. So many young people hitch-hiked in the 70s. Incidentally, she had no animals with her.
Society Member