Princess Diana's Noddy book

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Princess Diana's Noddy book

Post by Lucky Star »

I see that a first edition of Noddy Goes to Toyland formerly owned by Princess Diana has sold for £3000. It went to a UK private collecdtor. Anyone we know been buying Noddy recently? :D

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pr ... dy-7047208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Princess Diana's Noddy book

Post by pete9012S »

Looks like they've tried to obscure the Golliwog compared to the original above!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

For those who keep an eye on things that come in national newspapers I have been told by Jon Appleton at Hodders that there is a major article on Enid Blyton in The Times tomorrow. You do of course have to subscribe to view it online, but it might be worth buying a copy of the paper! :roll:
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks for that, Tony. I may sneak a peep in the newsagents tomorrow morning.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've LOADS of comments on this article.

Firstly of all, is the picture in the Mirror THE 1st edition? If so, how do they know, as it doesn't appear to have a D/W. I thought the only way to identify a 1st edition Noddy book was by the D/W? The other reason I don't believe that's a picture of a 1st edition is that the spine (which appears to have been mended) looks flat, whereas I'm sure I've read that the first few Noddy books had rounded spines.

According to Google, Diana's eldest sister was born in 1955, which was 6 years after the 1st edition was printed. Of course ,it's possible it belonged to someone else before them. I also can't see what relevance the custom made presentation box has.

Oh yes, and there's the small point that The Mirror appears to have discovered a previously unknown Noddy book - ie Noddy HAD an Adventure, rather than Noddy HAS an adventure. :roll:

I just hope that whoever spent all that money on the book did so because of the Diana connection, not because they think they've got a 1st edition Noddy book.
Society Member