Old Thatch up for sale - anyone got a spare 1.85 million?

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Old Thatch up for sale - anyone got a spare 1.85 million

Post by Fiona1986 »

Pippa-Stef wrote:So I'm going to try and form a letter to send off to the NT and EH by the end of the week, if you'd like to add your signature to the letter, please email a picture or a scan of your signature to the World of Blyton Blog address - worldofblytonblog@hotmail.com - and Fiona and I will add it to the letter to send off.

If you can send a signature to us before Wednesday, that would be best so we can sort things out that would be grand.
Just a reminder guys! We've only had one signature so far :(
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Have to admit I'm a bit wary of sending my signature via email. I'd be happy to add my name to a letter or petition, but don't want to scan my signature.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I wasn't sure about the signature thing either. I also don't really see the point of a signature unless its a petition - which it isn't. I would have thought just one representative of the Enid Blyton Society would have looked better than half a dozen signatures...
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

How about start a Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign to crowdfund and buy it for the Society? :D :mrgreen: We can share it on social media, maybe some rich person will see it and donate a few million quids. :wink:

Sent in my signature, Stef!

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Thanks Ming, though yours brings us to a grand total of two. With those two plus Stef and mine... well I don't think it's worth doing a signed letter any more.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Perhaps it would be better just signed by you and Stef as "members of the Enid Blyton Society". A whole string of signatures could make it look like a petition, as someone else said, which it's not meant to be.

Ming, someone suggested a Kickstarter campaign earlier - I quite like the idea too, but I think the concern was that it wouldn't raise money quickly enough. We can't tell whether Old Thatch will remain on the market for months or be snapped up quickly by a buyer who really wants it and has the money. Worth thinking about though, I guess.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I would imagine that to hold any clout, the Society Organiser would need to sign. I don't think a 'petition-like' letter will do much without official backing. Maybe Hodder might be interested? Still, nothing ventured nothing gained, as they say.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

A petition type letter will do no good unless it is signed by thousands of people. better would be a polite letter signed by two or three people on behalf of The Enid Blyton Society. Tony's permission would be needed of course for anyone to sign "on behalf of the society". Even better as Nigel suggested would be for Tony himself to sign. I personally don't think the NT will buy it but it would be interesting to see what reasons they might give for refusing.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree. It would be very interesting to hear the NT's opinion on buying the house. I also agree that the letter would be better signed by just one or two people on behalf of the Enid Blyton Society, rather than in petition form. I must admit I hadn't envisaged a petition when the letter was first mentioned.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

We weren't envisioning it as a petition either. Merely a letter signed by several members of the society as I felt it was going to be from all of us who want the house to be accessible to us as fans of Blyton. We thought several signatures might have looked better than two people claiming to be signing on behalf of you all. We may well sign is as simply members of the society if we can't get any more "official" than that.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I think just the two people who wrote the letter should be sufficient for signing it - I know I sent my signature in, but on second thoughts I'd prefer it not to be used if there are only a few signatures anyway. As several people have said, it shouldn't look like a petition.

It would be better if it could be signed by, or with the authority of, a Society official, but the only one I can think of is Tony, and obviously that would be up to him to decide.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm just wondering if anyone has contacted Jacky herself, or even the agent to ask if the N.T has been approached. If they have and have said no, then maybe a letter to them wouldn't be worth sending. Just a thought.
Courtenay wrote:It would be better if it could be signed by, or with the authority of, a Society official, but the only one I can think of is Tony, and obviously that would be up to him to decide.
I don't think Tony would get involved, as he has already stated earlier in the thread that he doubts the N.T or E.H. would be interested.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Edward Heath lived at Arundells, in the Cathedral Close in Salisbury. When there was talk of closing it to the public due to cost (it has now been reprieved for the moment), I wrote to the NT asking if they would consider buying it, as a former PM's house and grounds would make a good addition to their properties. I had a very long reply, part of which I include in this post.
The National Trust’s acquisition process is very rigorous. We already have so many liabilities, we have to be sure if we take on another, that it can be financially self-sustaining. If it is not able to be financially self-sustaining, we always insist it comes to us with an endowment, which sits in the bank – providing interest payments to cover any annual deficit the property has. The key thing is that if we’re taking on a new property, we find a way to provide its long term financial future. It was with this experience in mind, looking at all the future options for Arundells, that we worked with Sir Edward’s Trustees. If a sustainable solution could have been found for the property, they were really keen to run it themselves, and we would have supported them in that.

Sadly, as you have already heard, we did not manage to find a solution in this instance. The property is very small, the planning restrictions on it are very tight (it has limited permission to open to the public as it is located in a residential area), and very sadly we simply couldn’t find a way to make the figures stack up.
I would think the problems would be similar to Old Thatch, and doubt very much that the NT would be interested in a short-term home of Enid Blyton.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

That's that then. I seriously doubt entrance fees to Old Thatch would cover the upkeep and running costs of the house on an annual basis.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Right. Anyone got a spare 1.85 million plus an endowment?? :mrgreen:
Society Member