Drawn back to Enid, or always a fan?

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Drawn back to Enid, or always a fan?

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think there will always be people who are a bit disparaging regards adults reading and collecting Blyton books. The media and certain critics over the years have given us a false impression, though, I feel, especially in England. I was like you, when I first started collecting as an adult - a bit embarrassed to be buying Blyton books, but I soon found out that most book sellers are interested, and if they are selling Blyton books on their shelves it's almost always because they have an interest in her themselves.

I also used to keep my Blyton collecting a secret from people I know personally, but whenever I've let it slip (and I feel less embarrassed these days!) I'm always pleasantly surprised by their reaction. Most people have fond memories of Blyton from their youth, and I've also met quite a few people who I would never have judged to be fans who still read them regularly - people not on this forum, I mean! ;-)

I mentioned I collected Blyton books to a friend a few weeks ago (he's 65) and this opened a floodgate of memories - how he'd loved EB as a child, read many of the books, all the Famous Fives (which he borrowed from libraries) and how much he loved Dorset because it was Blyton country. I gave him an old hardback copy of Five Go To Mystery Moor as a bit of a joke, and he emailed me later to say how much he'd enjoyed reading it.

I think for some reason, EB seems to have a vast 'underground' fan base, but not many people seem inclined to admit it - rather like anything written for the masses and deemed 'too popular' - who admits to watching The Eurovision Song Contest, Coronation Street, or XFactor these days? But many do!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Most of my close friends and quite a few of my work colleagues know that I collect and read Enid Blyton and some of them know that I'm a member of this society. None of them have ever made any disparaging remarks about this, well not to me they haven't, most of them regard it as my hobby. The only person who pokes fun at me is my 35 year old son who thinks it is hilarious that a 60 year old man would want to read a children's story.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's lovely that you read Enid Blyton books to your friend, Robert. In these days of audio books, not to mention TV, reading aloud with friends or family is a pastime that has almost died out (other than reading to young children).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I feel very lucky all round really, that I've always been surrounded by Blyton lovers - my mom, my sister, a few close friends, and my parents and family members never thought it strange that I collected and read them as an adult - in fact many people have bought me Blyton books as presents over the years - including a French version of Five Go Off To Camp from my sister when she was on holiday! :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

I'm a returnee. You might say :roll: that I'm in my second childhood..... :lol:

• - The timely acknowledgement of a correct answer to your question is courteous -

• - The timely posting of a new question by the winner of the last round is helpful -
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

MJE wrote:
pete9012S wrote:I have never strayed from Enid except for a very brief interlude when I started senior school.
     I wonder if that unfavourable attitude is an Australian thing, because reading the forum (populated mainly by British people) gives me the impression that nothing unfavourable at all is seen in adults being interested in Enid Blyton.

Regards, Michael.
Michael you are in good company, there are many adult Enid Blyton readers/collectors in Australia.
I think perhaps sometimes we are the one's who are worried people will look unfavourably about this when in fact many people are really very interested when they hear. When I decided to seriously collect EB some 45 years ago I did get some strange looks and comments, but today I find quite the opposite, people want to see my collection and then want to talk about their love of Enid Blyton as a child and what wonderful memories it brings back.

cheers Aussie Sue
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

As the person who has probably sold more Enid Blyton books to adults than anyone else, I've found this thread most interesting. :lol:

Adults sometimes need to give themselves permission to do read a Blyton book. I've taken the liberty of quoting lots of the above posts to put on a sheet that will also publicise the Society. 8)

As for myself, my mum didn't dare throw out my paperbacks - and they are still here in my lounge :lol: . My interest was re-kindled when I found a copy of Barbara Stoney's biography in my village library.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:As for myself, my mum didn't dare throw out my paperbacks - and they are still here in my lounge :lol: .
Same here. Mine are in the lounge-diner - I can see my childhood paperbacks and Dean books from where I'm sitting at the computer, along with my childhood E. Nesbits and Noel Streatfeilds. Quite a few people who have come to the house have taken an interest in them, including a washing-machine repair man and a boiler-fitter.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I too look at all my Blyton books whilst sitting at my laptop. I just love to look at them. Even when my grandkids come over they just stand at the tall bookcase and look at the books as though they are looking in a toy shop window. :lol:

I have a few paperbacks in a box in the attic, but those are now duplicated by dust covered hard backed books which I have collected. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

As discussed in the 'bookshelf' thread, I have my Enid Blyton books all over the house - the good collectable ones are in the 'front room' (dining room) and 'back room' (living room/lounge) while my tattier childhood ones are mostly in the loft (which is always accessible because its a kind of workshop). Whenever we have visitors they inevitably glance at the bookshelves and when I tell them I collect Enid Blyton books, their eyes usually light up with pleasure! :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I don't think I owned many books - we were a poor family back then. Most, if not all, of my reading was done courtesy of Salisbury Public Library.
Society Member
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

All of my early reading was courtesy of the public library and now I've got one of my own. I'm like Julie, I love looking at those colourful spines.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

You mean yours is a public library, John? Can we all line up to borrow your books? :D :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

Any member of this society is always welcome to visit my library and borrow a book. I don't see why you should want to line up though. I've got a couple of chairs in there.
Society Member