Blytonesque Places

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Re: Blyton Places Near You

Post by floragord »

Spitfire wrote:I too would recommend Anya Seton's Green Darkness. It's a very compelling read.

Also interested to note that the bluebells are ahead of mine a good two weeks I should think - mine are just starting to show blue now. I agree that the colour is amazing - 'vibrant but gentle' as Anita says - its a good description. My garden borders are overrun with bluebells - I gave away loads of bulbs last year and can't quite believe how many have popped up again this year.
We "rescued" a stand of bluebells that was going to be destroyed by a building project - couldn't leave them to be buried under concrete - and they've delighted us every year since, some self-seeding forget-me-nots have grown up around them and the resulting medley is heavenly blue!

Glad you too enjoyed GREEN DARKNESS, Spitfire - I'm fond of Anya Seton and another of my long-term favourites is her KATHERINE
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I like both those books very much - ages since I read them though so maybe time for a reread!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

My Enid Blyton walk through the woods today was fabulous as the wood is now covered in Bluebells. I've not been for a couple of weeks and it was a nice surprise. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

lots of bluebells around my way too. They do make a woodland walk so much more beautiful don't they. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Here's two photos from Sutton Scarsdale Hall, a ruined Georgion mansion visited late April. These are off the net, but I'll try & post some of my photos ASAP! :D

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/3285939.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/ ... e-hall.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Off to explore the Caves of Nottingham this afternoon. Been before, but still enjoy exploring them! :D
http://static.mumsnet.com/cms/uploads/l ... ouncil.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Have fun, Number 6! I've been down some of the Nottingham Caves and they're fascinating. It's amazing that some of them were used for tanning leather, as well as being used for cock-fighting, gambling, jails and housing.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks Anita! Yes, the caves had numerous uses. The City is absolutely littered with caves under its streets. Will be popping into the Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem for some liquid refreshment. Some of the rooms in the pub are carved into the Rock below Nottingham Castle. A great & unique experience! :D
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Have fun, Number 6! I've been down some of the Nottingham Caves and they're fascinating. It's amazing that some of them were used for tanning leather, as well as being used for cock-fighting, gambling, jails and housing.
And as a hide-out for Robin Hood? :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

It sounds great, Number 6. I'm sure you've enjoyed your visit. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lovely as these places are, I am a little confused as to their relevance to the thread title. Unless, of course, (which is quite likely) I am missing something.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Moonraker wrote:Lovely as these places are, I am a little confused as to their relevance to the thread title. Unless, of course, (which is quite likely) I am missing something.
Going by the first post in this thread, I assumed it was Blyton type places which reminded you of a scene/place from a story, ie ruins, caves, bluebell woods, etc....or could make a good setting for a story, etc.

I pass Sutton Scarsdale Hall, a ruined Georgian mansion, on a regular basis. I walk through Woodland, by babbling brooks/streams, old ruins, along disused Railway lines & through tunnels, & by hedgerows full of Celedines/Bluebells, etc. The caves in Nottm remind of the numerous ones in the F5 stories. All ingredients for a Blyton-type 'adventure'.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The Famous Five meet Robin Hood, eh? That'd make a good tale! :wink:
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Could I put you forward for the big, bad Sheriff of Nottm in this tale? It would make an excellent story! :lol:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'd rather play Robin!
Society Member