Stinker Appreciation Society

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Re: Stinker Appreciation Society

Post by Spitfire »

Poppy wrote:Well, I just find the descriptions disturbing - that's all. And I think it is unfitting that the Famous Five encourage such behavior.
I agree. It's one thing for Tinker to be mistreated and neglected by his owners, but quite another for the main protagonists of the book (of whom Enid Blyton often makes a point of portraying as honourable and worthy (truthful, loyal, etc)) to be unkind to a defenceless animal.

Cruelty aside, treating an animal with contempt and unkindness just because one doesn't like its owners seems to me to be a particularly ignorant and stupid thing to do. If Timmy had been neglected and beaten by an unpleasant owner, would it automatically be ok to despise him, scorn him and treat him as a nuisance? I think not. And I think that therein lies an example of Enid's occasional naivety. She almost always humanised her animal characters to an unrealistic extent, and generally that works well. But the downside of that is that Tinker is tainted by association, and she simply allows that to run, because the Famous Five are the Goodies, and Tinker is one of the Baddies, so to speak. It seems a case of give a dog the name Stick and hang him.

If Tinker had been treated properly, he would have had bright eyes, an inquisitive nose and a tail always ready to wag. In other words, he would have been every bit as appealing (if not more so) than Timmy. Instead his coat is dirty, he apparently has mange, and he seems unsure of exactly where he fits in or what the rules are. Hardly his fault.
MJE wrote:fiction writers must be free to portray characters doing unpleasant things on occasion - even the protagonists, or characters the reader will most identify with.
Yes, absolutely. But in this case, Enid writes in such a way as to silently condone the Five's behaviour towards Tinker.
Julie2owlsdene wrote:I support what you are saying, Poppy. You are a caring person, who has a dog, like myself, and just loves him to pieces. As Anita has said, even when reading fiction, we can take people or certain mentioned animals to heart and want to protect them. Maybe that is the sign of a really good author as Blyton is.I know that Courtenay and a few others has mentioned they don't understand what we're on about as the dog is fictional. Yes, we all know that, but it's the principle of 'cruelty' that I am underlining. It is not a subject to be jovial about. It is a serious matter where animals and children are concerned, that is the point I am meaning.Cruelty goes on, all over the world, but it doesn't make it right, and it doesn't make me laugh either!
Hear, hear! I heartily agree with this post, and with others that Poppy, Cathy and Anita have made.
pete9012S wrote:Today I decided to donate a small sum of money to to two people who seem a little down on their luck in my area.
Good for you, Pete! :)
Carlotta King wrote:That's not nice, poor dog, being used like that. I'm guessing that his 'friend' isn't too badly off for money because the dog does actually look very well-fed, although that big cut under his eye isn't good.
I don't think it's a cut - he looks like he has a runny eye, which some breeds are prone to (though pretty sure that's a mongrel.)

I hope that that homeless man treats Dollar kindly considering that Dollar is effectively earning him a good 'wage'.

Wouldn't this thread be better off merged with the other one? It doesn't make sense to have almost the same conversation happening in two different places. Besides, it's all relevant to the book.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm afraid merging the threads wouldn't work very well, as conversations have been going on in both of them yesterday and today. If I were to merge the threads, individual posts would slot in according to the time they were posted and the two conversations would get mixed up.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Oh I see - yes, that would just make a mess of both threads. It just felt really odd replying here when half the comments that motivated me to respond were posted elsewhere!
Spitfire wrote:
Carlotta King wrote: wrote:That's not nice, poor dog, being used like that. I'm guessing that his 'friend' isn't too badly off for money because the dog does actually look very well-fed, although that big cut under his eye isn't good.
I don't think it's a cut - he looks like he has a runny eye, which some breeds are prone to (though pretty sure that's a mongrel.)
On second thoughts... I think you're right Cathy, I looked again and it's too straight and narrow a mark to be a runny eye, so it must be a cut. :(
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It looks like a cut to me. And the dog's coat looks out of condition too. He needs a good brushing. Also he has a sad little face. When a dog is happy it shows in his eyes. That poor boy has sad eyes.

I don't think he's well looked after really. Thankfully, he's not starving.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Yes - he does look sad I agree.
Sarah
Society Member

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I'm afraid merging the threads wouldn't work very well, as conversations have been going on in both of them yesterday and today.
Yes, I can see that would cause problems. Might I suggest locking one of them? :D
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I don't think we should lock any, as this one is an appreciaton thread, and the other one is about the book!

At least it shows we have a few animal lovers on this forum who are more concerned about Tinker, than the book itself! :P

8)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree with Julie that we can keep this thread as a tribute to the dog, and the other thread to talk about the book in general.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Then can people please post comments about dog-cruelty on this thread and not on the FF/Run Away Together thread. :|
Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Hehehe it was you who steered it back to cruelty by taking the mickey out of us on page 7 ;) ;)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: we can keep this thread as a tribute to the dog,
I am willing to bet good money that neither (S)tinker himself nor Enid Blyton ever imagined for a moment that that benighted animal would ever warrant either an "appreciation" or a "tribute". :lol:

Good old (S)tinker; he has finally come up in the world. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

People always have a soft spot for the under-dog! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote: I am willing to bet good money that neither (S)tinker himself nor Enid Blyton ever imagined for a moment that that benighted animal would ever warrant either an "appreciation" or a "tribute".
And who would have thought the wretched beast would run to two threads.
Miss King wrote:Hehehe it was you who steered it back to cruelty by taking the mickey out of us on page 7
I know - I just can't resist it.
Julie wrote:At least it shows we have a few animal lovers on this forum who are more concerned about Tinker, than the book itself!

Speak for yourself!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Nigel the dog lover! :D

8)

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Awww, now that's a dog-lover if ever I saw one!
Look at them both, relaxed and comfy!
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member