Stinker Appreciation Society

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Stinker Appreciation Society

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

And even though Nigel was getting cramp in his leg, he wasn't going to disturb the sleeping dog. Now that is what a call a thoughtful dog lover! :P

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Probably preferred Morgan asleep than awake paying amorous attention to his leg! :lol:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Spot on, Daisy! :D
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

:lol: :lol:

8)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

It's a real shame that the poor mistreated Stinks sorry the Sticks didn't think quicker.
They could have brokered a plea bargain with the police about Stinker being savaged by Tim.This may have wiped out the kidnapping charge and also made the Kirrins pay out a hefty sum in compensation.

Perhaps if the payout was in accord with the Kirrin's wealth (and lets face it after the ingots episode they were all seriously loaded) the Sticks may have received considerably more than the £1000 they intended to receive for the kidnapping debacle.

When you factor in things like emotional distress,insubordination,cheek and physical aggression (pulling Edgar's dose) threatening to pie Pa Stick in the kisser and allowing George to violently assault Edgar by slapping him on the cheek we could have been talking about a life changing compensation award.

Maybe it's not too late if all these lawyers/injury direct adverts are to be believed! :D :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Considering the incidents in question happened c. 1944, I'm not sure even the most ingenious compensation lawyers could help them now. :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I finished a re-read of Run Away Together recently, and in all honesty can't see much to complain about in the Five's (yes, I'll include Tim!) treatment of Tinker. Far worse, in my opinion, was the four's treatment of Edgar. For all his faults - mostly due to his upbringing - calling him Spotty-face was uncalled for. Acne is an embarrassing and difficult condition for adolescents. Many of Enid's readers would have been plagued by spots, and this name-calling must have upset them as much as it would the fictional Edgar. It also suggests that to have acne somehow makes you a despicable person.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Children can be so cruel in what they say! :lol:

8)

Society Member
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

Yes, but Edgar's a mere human being. Who cares about him, when there's a smelly mongrel to gallantly defend? :roll:
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

walter raleigh wrote:Yes, but Edgar's a mere human being. Who cares about him, when there's a smelly mongrel to gallantly defend? :roll:
Exactly! So stop rolling your eyes! :lol:

8)

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote: - calling him Spotty-face was uncalled for. Acne is an embarrassing and difficult condition for adolescents. Many of Enid's readers would have been plagued by spots, and this name-calling must have upset them as much as it would the fictional Edgar. It also suggests that to have acne somehow makes you a despicable person.
I know you are being sincere here - but why is it I read this as a tongue in cheek comment?! :wink: I agree it's awful to be blighted by acne - I had plenty of it - but it's also sadly realistic that the Five (four!) call him 'Spotty Face' - typical of the thoughtlessness and spitefulness that kids can be capable of! :evil:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Well, the four Adventure children were even more despicable in their treatment of Lucian in The Ship of Adventure - calling him "Brer Rabbit" (because of his teeth) from the moment they saw him and letting the ridicule continue from there, when he was never unkind to them at all. Edgar may not have been able to help his acne, but it was made clear from the start that he was a nasty piece of work. Teasing someone because of their appearance is low, no matter what, but children do that - and at least Edgar was more deserving of disdain when it came to being a horrible character.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

No, my tongue wasn't in my cheek! I had never thought of it before, but was particularly looking out for cruel treatment of Tinker, when the way they spoke to Edgar seemed far worse. As the children are so grown-up, complete with square jaws, firm chins and blue eyes, I would have expected better behaviour.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Moonraker wrote:
If I had been on the Island, I'd have strung Spotty-Face up in the crow's nest on Grandad Kirrin's boat. That'd be what I would call uncomfortable. :twisted:
Well it looks like you have mellowed slightly since this earlier post Nigel,well done! :wink:

Yes,Edgar's parents and relations were criminals who set a bad example.Yes,the Five should not have retaliated to Edgar's mistreatment of George in their own home whilst waiting anxiously for news about their dearly beloved hospitalized Aunt Fanny...

But can we dig deeper? Where did it all go wrong for Edgar?
Using psychoanalysis and Freud-like reasoning can we get to the nub of Edgar's soul?

Part of the original blurb states:
Left alone in their house, because their aunt has been taken ill and gone away with their uncle, the children have a dreadful time with Mrs. Stick, who has been left in charge, and her unpleasant family. They decide to run away together to Kirrin Island...
Is it really fair to lump Edgar into this?
Let's go back to the first mention of Old Spotty Face,I mean Master Edgar Stick.
Then back to breakfast they went, as hungry as hunters. Anne noticed a boy in the back garden and stared in surprise.
"Who's that?" she said.
"Oh, that's Edgar, Mrs. Stick's boy," said George. "I don't like him. He does silly things, like putting out his tongue and calling rude names."
Edgar appeared to be singing when the others went in at the gate. Anne stopped to listen.
"Georgie-Porgie, pudding and pie!" sang Edgar, a silly look on his face. He seemed about thirteen or fourteen, a stupid, yet sly-looking youth. "Georgie-porgie pudding and pie!"
George went red. "He's always singing that," she
said, furiously. "Just because I'm called "George", I suppose. He thinks he's clever. I can't bear him."
Julian called out to Edgar. "You shut up! You're not funny, only jolly silly!"
"Georgie-porgie," began Edgar again, a silly smile on his wide red face. Julian made a step towards him, and he at once disappeared into the house.
"Shan't stand much of him," said Julian, in a decided voice. "I wonder you do, George. I wonder you haven't slapped his face, stamped on his foot, bitten his ears off and done a few other things! You used to be so fierce."
"Well—I am still, really," said George. "I feel frightfully fierce down inside me when I hear Edgar singing silly songs at me like that and calling out names—but you see, Mother really hasn't been well, and I know jolly well if I go for Edgar, Mrs. Stick will leave, and poor old Mother would have to do all the work, and she really isn't fit to at present. So I just hold myself in, and hope that Timmy will do the same."
"Good for you, old thing!" said Julian, admiringly, for he knew how hard it was for George to keep her temper at times.

"I think I'll just go up to Mother's room and see if she'd like breakfast in bed," said George.
"Hang on to old Timmy a moment, will you? If Edgar appears again, he might go for him."
So we see here that the firebrand George,although provoked, restrains her feelings and her temper because of her love for her Mother,winning Julian's admiration.

Master Stick at about thirteen or fourteen was at the very least Julian's age,but in no way a physical match for the eldest Kirrin.

What went wrong for Edgar?
May puberty have been hitting him hard?
The spotty face he endured may have been caused by acne and have been completely diet unrelated.

Remember Ma Stick was an excellent cook who served up top class nosh for The Kirrins before Aunt Fanny was carted off to hospital,and also for themselves too,as the Five found out when they purloined the Stick's own supper.

Edgar came from good genetic stock.His father could grow a beard in under a day or two,surely signs of masculine virility.
Mrs Stick too could almost keep up with her husband in the facial hair department if one uses a magnifying glass on some of the original Soper illustrations.

So maybe Edgar was suffering from a testosterone overload and being faced with the heterogeneous 'George' Kirrin,it all may have been emotionally too much for the virile pubescent young lad??

Edgar the misunderstood hormone laden man-child..
Last edited by pete9012S on 20 Mar 2015, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

For a start, Edgar was called 'Edgar Stick' - more than enough reason for him to get bullied at school, which would have damaged him psychologically. Because he was always being bullied due to being called Stick, and having parents who were nasty pieces of work, Edgar probably didn't have many friends, so spent too much time indoors reading garishly coloured comics. Not having enough sun or fresh air would have given him a pasty spotty complexion, and having no exercise would have added to his weight problems and general lethargy. No wonder, when face with four super healthy well-fed well-exercised sunburned paragons of virtue, Edgar became even more nasty and spiteful! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member