Finniston/Stourton Caundle

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Finniston/Stourton Caundle

Post by pete9012S »

They all went up the little winding lane, where red poppy-heads jigged about in the breeze, and after a while they came in sight of the farm-house. It was a big one, three storey's high, with whitewashed walls, and the rather small windows belonging to the age in which it was built. Old-fashioned red and white roses rambled over the porch, and the old wooden door stood wide open.
SPECIAL NOTE FROM ENID BLYTON
MY readers may like to know that the Finniston Farm in this story is a real farm in Dorset, owned by my family—though I have, of course, changed its name in the book. The old chapel, now a storehouse for corn, is still there, with, as always, a cat and its kittens on the sacks! The great old door taken from the Norman castle is still at the farm, used as a magnificent kitchen-door. The old, old tiles on the barns still glow with their centuries-old growth of bright lichen, and the quaint old oven is still in the bedroom wall, complete with its iron tray and embers for the warming-pan! But (as yet!) I haven't found the secret entrance to the old dungeons or cellars of the long-ago burnt-down castle to which the chapel belonged. The Famous Five have been cleverer than I am!
Now read the story, knowing that Finniston Farm is real—-just as I have described it in this book.

THE STOURTON CAUNDLER 100TH ISSUE SPECIAL SUPPLEMENT

http://www.stourtoncaundle.org.uk/100th%20issue.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The name of the Old Chapel (located at the rear of Manor Farm) was found
in the will of Sir Ivo Fitzwaryn (1343-1414), who was lord of the manor from 1361; it referring to the
“Chapel of St. Andrew, Caundell Haddon”
ALL ROUND THE FARM

The Five thoroughly enjoyed their ride over the big farm. It spread out in all directions over undulating hills, and the van swung up and down and continually lurched round corners. It stopped every now and again so that the children might see the magnificent views.
Bill told them the names of the great fields as they passed them. ‘That’s Oak-Tree Field - that’s Hangman’s Copse over there - that’s Tinker’s Wood Field - and that’s Faraway Field - the furthest from the farm-house.’

Looking on modern maps today we see similar,but slightly different names, Bilcombe Copse,New Leaze Wood,Knoll Copse & Deadman's Covert....

Before long the Five need a snack:
‘Ah - Anne has discovered what farming really means!’ said Dick. ‘I say, I’m most awfully hungry, but I really don’t like to go and ask for anything at the farm-house. Let’s go down to the village and get buns and milk at the dairy.’
‘Oh yes!’ said Anne and George, and Timmy gave a few sharp, short barks as if he thoroughly agreed. They set off down the lane that led to the village, and soon came to the little ice-cream shop, half baker’s half dairy. Janie, the small talkative girl, was there again. She smiled at them in delight.
‘You’re here again!’ she said, in pleasure. ‘Mum’s made some macaroons this morning. See - all gooey and fresh!’
Wasn't there a chatty girl in the Peterswood dairy too??
‘Finniston Castle!’ exclaimed George, in surprise. ‘We went all over the farm this morning, and saw every field - but we didn’t see any ruined castle.’
‘Oh no, you wouldn’t see anything!’ said Janie. ‘I told you - it was burnt down. Right to the ground, ages ago. Finniston Farm belonged to it, you know. There’s some pictures of it in a shop down the road.
‘Is that why your name’s Finniston?’ asked Anne. ‘Tell us about the castle. We only heard about it for the first time today. But we don’t even know exactly whereabouts it stood. I didn’t see a single stone when we went round the farm this morning!’
‘No, no, you wouldn’t,’ said Mr Finniston. ‘It was burnt right down to the ground, you see - and through the centuries people have taken the old stones for building walls. Ah well - it was a long, long time ago!’
‘How long?’ asked George.
‘Let’s see now - it was burnt down in 1192 - the twelfth century,’ said Mr Finniston. ‘Norman times, you know. Ever heard of
Was there ever a castle in Stourton Caundle?

Stourton Caundle is a village and parish in the Blackmore Vale of North Dorset, about 5 miles East of Sherborne. ‘Caundle’ may originally have been a Celtic name for the chain of hills in the vicinity, which look from Dorset toward Somerset, but its exact meaning remains obscure. The first name of the village post-Norman conquest was ‘Candel Malherbie’ – ‘malherbe’ being the French word for ‘weed’. It became known as ‘Candel Haddon’ after the Haddon family bought land here in 1202 and founded the manor. They fortified the manor like a castle. One of the more famous visitors was the legendary Dick Whittington, a Lord Mayor of London and the real-life inspiration for a famous English rags-to-riches folk tale. He married Alice, the daughter of the lord of the manor of Candel Haddon, Sir Ivo Fitzwaryn, by whose Will the castle’s chapel was founded in the 1440s. All that remains of the castle today is that chapel (now used as a farm building) and two fish-ponds.
http://www.opcdorset.org/StourtonCaundl ... aundle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The hub of the Manor was the castle situated in a field called "Court Barton" on the northern side of the Caundle Brook, at the rear of Manor Farm, probably built by Lord John the third of the Haddon lords, at the end of the 13th century. On the opposite side of the brook was a small chapel, a mill, a fishpond, and a pigeon loft. There are no longer any traces of the castle, which fell into ruin at the end of the 16th century.
The small chapel still stands among the farm buildings on the southern side of the brook. There is said to be a small burial ground to the south of this chapel, one skeleton having been brought to the surface by floodwaters.
‘But Mr Finniston - if the castle was built of stone - how was it burnt to the ground?’ she said. ‘What happened?’
‘I can’t find out,’ said Mr Finniston sadly. ‘I’ve been into every old library in the county, and looked up every old book of that period - and I’ve delved into the old records in Finniston church.

As far as I can make out, the castle was stormed by enemies - and, as I said, a traitor inside set fire to it at the same time. The floors fell in, and the castle was left blazing from top to bottom. The great walls fell inwards and covered the base - and the Finniston family fled. Lord Finniston was killed - but his Lady took the children and hid them - it’s said she hid them in the old chapel, near the barns of the farm. Maybe she took them down a secret underground passage, leading from the dungeons to the old chapel itself.’
‘An old chapel - is it still there?’ asked Anne. ‘Or was it burnt too?’
‘No - it wasn’t burnt. It’s still standing,’ said Mr Finniston. ‘Old Great-Grand-dad will show you.’
The most notorious resident of the castle was Charles, Lord Stourton who, on the 12th of January 1557, invited to the castle a man by the name of Hartgill accompanied by his son. Lord Charles had a long running disagreement with Hartgill, though they were at this time apparently reconciled. Lord Charles arranged for them to be knocked down with clubs by his servants who then cut their throats and buried them in the cellar in order to prevent their discovery. When these cruel murders came to light he was indicted and interned in the Tower of London. After his conviction for the murders he was taken from the Tower to Salisbury Market Square where he was hanged along with four of his servants.

After the demise of the castle a tithe barn was constructed on the northern boundary of the site, using stone from the ruined castle. Most of the public footpaths and bridle-ways radiate from here. As recently as 1821 regular Manorial Court Sessions were being held in the tithe barn at Court Barton.
‘No, the Lady of the castle wasn’t killed and it is said that she took her children to the little chapel near the farm-house - we really must go and see that, twins - and they stayed there in safety.
Mr Finniston told them that the Lady of the castle escaped with her children and took them in safety to the chapel, which wouldn’t be very far away. I should guess that the castle-site must be not further than a quarter of a mile from the chapel, so that narrows the search down a bit. By the way, we really must look at that chapel - it sounds interesting, even though it has been used as a store-house for years!
‘We haven’t seen this chapel yet, either!’
So they followed the two men, and soon came to a tall, quaint old building with small and beautiful arched windows set high up in the walls. They went in at the door, a few paces behind the two men, and stared in wonder.
‘Yes - you can see it was once a chapel!’ said Julian, speaking instinctively in a low voice. ‘Those lovely old windows - that arch there...’
‘And the feel of it!’ said Anne. ‘I know now what old Mr Finniston down at that little shop meant, when he said that though it was now a store-house, it was still full of prayer! You can feel that people have been here to pray, can’t you? What a lovely little chapel. Oh, I do wish it wasn’t used as a store-house!’
‘I was told by an old fellow down in the village antique shop that a Lady Phillippa, who was once the Lady of the castle, brought each of her fifteen children here to learn their prayers,’ said Mr Durleston, surprisingly. ‘Hmm, hmm - nice old story. Probably true. Chapels were often built near to castles.
http://stourtoncaundle.org.uk/history.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I guess what you really want to know is if there is any real life treasure to be found at Stourton Caundle??

Possibly,but more likely to be Roman in nature! :D

http://www.archiuk.com/cgi-bin/web-arch ... ents.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by pete9012S on 08 Jun 2022, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Re: Finniston/Stourton Caundle

Post by walter raleigh »

Some really good detective work there Pete! Fatty would be proud of you! This is something that could be a good subject for an article in a future issue of the Journal I think!
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Very interesting, Pete.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Tony has very kindly emailed me a picture of the Norman Chapel.
It seems to ooze history and antiquity...

Enid Blyton
The old,old tiles on the barns still glow with their centuries-old growth of bright lichen
George Kirrin
The roofs had great Dorset tiles, made of stone, uneven and roughly shaped. They were a lovely grey, and were brilliant with lichen and moss.
‘Aren’t they gorgeous?’ said George, stopping to look at the tiles on a small out-house. ‘Look at that lichen, did you ever see such a brilliant orange? But what a pity - half of them have gone from this roof....
Mr Henning
‘I’d like to buy this chapel, knock it down, and take it stone by stone to my place in the States,’ said the American enthusiastically. ‘Fine specimen, isn’t it? It would look wunnerful in my place.’
‘Can’t advise that,’ said Mr Durleston, shaking his head. ‘Not in good taste. Let’s go to those out-buildings yonder. Might see something in the old junk there.’

They went off, and the children stayed behind, entranced with the little chapel.
Last edited by pete9012S on 08 Jun 2022, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That Chapel would make a great watercolour. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

The account reminds me of Gwydir Uchaf Chapel in Snowdonia built in 1673..located in the woods above Gwydir Castle built by Sir Richard Wynn.

http://www.snowdoniaguide.com/gwydir_uchaf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gwydir Castle goes back much further than 1673...

http://www.snowdoniaguide.com/gwydir_castle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Great stuff, Pete! I visited " Finniston Farm" on one hot Summers day a few years ago. It is a lovely place, full of charm & character. I've also visited Gwydir Castle several times during many holidays in Snowdonia. A stunning little gem of a place. Well worth a visit. :D
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Here's a curious thought...

The Old Chapel may have been well known to Dick Whittington's father-in-law!

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/John ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://lordmayorsshow.london/history/dick-whittington" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Susan Webster

Post by Susan Webster »

i have just read five on finniston farm and its great . wow, wish i could visit the farm --looks good to explore and the other bits too mentioned in the book . can any remains of the castle still be seen . hope someone can find the secret entrance sometime . its great to read stories and then learn that many are real places . the picture of the farm is great and looks full of history!
Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

I'll be covering the 'Finnistons' and Stourtons in my book. It's noticeable that although people claim Enid never did much research, she used a plausible date for the castle being burnt down - did she get advice? '1192' is the date Mr Finniston in the antique shop quotes, and that was the time of a civil war and chaos in England when King Richard the First was away on the Third Crusade (he was then kidnapped on his way home in Decmebr 1192 by his foes in Austria) and his younger brother Prince John was trying to usurp the throne. John tried to take castles loyal to the King,and the King' s men then (with more success) tried to take his castles in retaliation. This is also the occasion when later legend places the adventures of Robin Hood, who is usually made a loyalist for King Richard and a vicitm of John who outsmarts the latter - as in most of the films from Erroll Flynn to Kevin Costner. I like to think the Finnistons were loyal to the King and were being attacked by John's men.

As far as I can tell from my own research in the Dorset archives Stourton Caundle Castle's history was peaceful - but another of the Stourtons' castles, Wardour in SW Wilts to which they moved after abandoning Stourton, was involved in a famous siege in the Civil War in the 1640s. The owners of the two estates were by then the (Catholic) Arundells, reputed to own a lot of treasure ie gold ornaments in their chapel. The defence was led in her Royalist husband's absence by Lady Blanche Arundell; and similarly the defence of Enid's own Purbeck part-inspiration for Kirrin, Corfe Castle, was led by Lady Mary Bankes. I imagine Enid got the idea for the role of 'Lady Finniston' from these events.
It's nice to see Anne as the person who works out the clue of the painting in the shop re: the site of the castle. So much for those who say she's only a stay-at-home cipher!
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

All this talk about Finniston Farm is giving me itchy feet! I'm now going to try & visit Stourton Caundle again when I'm in Dorset next Summer. My last visit was in 2012. It was a lovely, hot sunny day if I remember correctly. I had a steady wander up to the farm for a while, before retiring to the charming Trooper Inn for lunch & a few real ales...Well, it would've been rude to pass it without going in, wouldn't it? :D
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

We tried to find Stourton Caundle when we were on holiday in about 2003 or 2004, but if I remember the roads are very windy just there and we gave up without finding it! :(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Can't be too far from The Trooper Inn,which looks like a jolly nice pub as number 6 mentioned!
A more pleasant tale - Enid Blyton

In the centre of the village opposite the Trooper Inn is Manor Farm.

Formerly owned by Enid Blyton, Manor Farm is the setting and inspiration for her book 'Five on Finniston Farm' - part of the Famous Five series.

This 17th century farmhouse and barns with walled garden, in the middle of village, has mature trees, shrubberies, herbaceous borders, lakes and a vegetable garden, lovingly created over the last 40 yrs by the current owners.
http://www.thetrooperinn.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

In Philip Knott's 'The Book of Stourton Caundle' (pub. Halsgrove Press 2001), a collection of stories, memories, photos, and document transcripts from the village next door to Enid's farm, it says that the owner of the Manor Farm from 1918 onwards , retiring in 1928 in favour of his nephew , was a Mr William Douch from the nearby village of Alton Pancras. He was a well-known local 'character', who lived to the age of 91 (d. apparently in the early-mid 1950s?) ; his nephew Charlie Garrett sold the farm to 'Darrell Waters Ltd' in 1958. It was then sold off by Enid, or her company's executives / secretary if she was not taking an active role by then due to dementia, in 1964. So did Enid hear stories about WD and this gave her ideas for Great-Granddad? The farm's legend of an underground tunnel from the chapel is also mentioned in this book - which is a rare Local History one which I have only seen in Dorset libraries.
Society Member