Famous Five Club

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Famous Five Club

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lori11xx wrote:I did not know so many other Famous Five/Enid Blyton fans existed, though of course I knew she was extremely popular. I almost felt like she was my own personal author who wrote just to me - did anybody else feel that way?
Welcome, Lori11xx! I too sometimes felt as a child that Enid Blyton was writing to me personally, especially when she ended her short stories with comments like, "He did feel glad that Mr. Pink-Whistle had come along. And I do too, don't you?" She communicated regularly with her readers through the magazines she wrote and through readings and book-signings, so I think she probably had a keen awareness of her audience and it came naturally to her to address her readers as if she were talking to them face to face.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Sue Webster wrote:I think now that many fans are keen on a Famous Five Club, I think we should use this topic/thread for all interested fans and call it THE FAMOUS FIVE CLUB.... Anyone good at designing a membership card that we can print off--a badge would be good too. cheers sue .
There is an illustration of the original FF club card in an early edition of Green Hedges Magazine. When I have some spare time, I will scan it and re-produce it here where you can make some copies, Sue.
Ming wrote:I don't see the point of an "exclusive" Famous Five club for discussions on favourite books, etc. - threads for those are already present in the other sections.
Oh I don't know. It might be rather nice to ressurect The Famous Five Club! :D
Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Hello and welcome Lori. I know you will enjoy. I also highly recommend the society Journal to you. I agree that part of EBs magic is that she makes children feel like she is writing just for them, me included. :D

I too would love to see the FF club resurrected if somebody has the knowhow. (I can only just turn the PC on).
I think we must be old nostalgists Nigel. :oops:
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Welcome to the forums, Lori. :D
Moonraker wrote:It might be rather nice to ressurect The Famous Five Club!
I agree with Nigel and Wayne. It would be nice to see the Famous Five Club resurrected!
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

How is this? If you print it out on thin card, fold it and glue the edges, you will have a two-sided membership card.
Society Member
Sue Webster

Post by Sue Webster »

hi moonraker (james bond?) i like the pic of the old membership card . i`ll go to the library tomorrow and print a copy --i dont have a printer . other fans could print out their own card too , Brilliant! membership numbers dont matter. cant wait to get it printed ! better go and book a computer at the library now . cheers sue .
ENID BLYTON BOOKS ARE THE BEST EVER!
Sue Webster

Post by Sue Webster »

hi EDDIE , great to hear from you .consider the FF club resurrected! . maybe in the summer we could all meet up somewhere for a day out . sue
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Sue Webster wrote:hi EDDIE , great to hear from you .consider the FF club resurrected! . maybe in the summer we could all meet up somewhere for a day out . sue
It sounds like a good idea to me, Sue, as long as we can get enough people interested and decide upon a venue suitable for everyone. :)
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I thought you might like to see the genuine article, Sue:-

You have both sides of it now!
Sue Webster

Post by Sue Webster »

hi T ONY THANKS FOR THE PICTURE OF THE FAMOUS FIVE CLUB CARD . CAN I PRINT IT OUT ? I DO HAVE A RATHER OLD TATTY ONE SO A NICE NEW ONE WOULD BE COOL , CHEERS SUE .
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Nice one Tony, trust you to make my example look pretty pathetic! :wink:

(Sue; nothing to do with James Bond!)
Society Member
Lori11xx
Favourite book/series: I loved them all but my favourite, The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick Kirrin

Post by Lori11xx »

Thanks for the welcomes everyone :lol:
Sue Webster

Post by Sue Webster »

hi all , great to welcome Lorillxx too . yes, eddie if enough people are interested we could all meet up somewhere--sandwell valley country park near birmingham would be good with its queen anne farmhouse, museum , walks etc and cafe .
when i was in the old FF club we used to get newsletters and i`ve kept all mine and still read them . if theres anyone who could do a newslketter and members could send in their memories or ideas for the club that would be cool . i`m not good enough on computers to do it ==not an expert at all . i`ve made a new membership card fron Tony`s picture and wearing my old badge again .
i`m a bit like Goerge , hot headed , bit of a temper etc and blow a fuse now and again ! but loyal , and trustworthy and straightforward . can be grumpy too and a bit moody .

who are other members like ?
sue . 8)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Not wishing to stick my nose in, but how about members of The Famous Five club having the badges as their avatar - as Sue does? I notice Nick has it as his avatar too - are you a member Nick? :wink:

Failing that, the badge could be displayed as your signature. :D
Society Member
Sue Webster

Post by Sue Webster »

hi moonraker , what a great idea! use the badge as an avatar , cool . i never thought of that .
have been to sandwell country park today and saw my first swallow! my friend had never been so she enjoyed it too. on the farm there were new piglets , some 2 week old lambs and also a nice craft fayre. sue.