Shop of Horrors

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Re: Shop of Horrors

Post by Keith Robinson »

Ah, okay, first edition it is then. I could have checked but was being lazy! Still, the idea of paying that kind of money for a book is plain daft to me. I guess this is what separates the serious collectors and the casual as-long-as-it's-fairly-old collectors! It's not even in great condition. I'll take my $30 version, with nice clean jacket, any day! :D
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

So would I, Keith, but then again I paid less than £10 for my first edition. I would rather have a reprint in a nice dustwrapper than pay a fortune for a first edition, in a wrapper that is pretty awful, any day! :lol:
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

£300? £300? :shock:

OUCH! I would never spend that much on a book, unless it was incredibly rare or something, but the Money? Why does money make the world go round? :evil:

I once got four EB's Famous Five's for £40, thats a Tenner a book, and they were a mixture of first editions, second and third impressions! :D

Could someone possibly clear something for me? What are Second and Third Impressions? Are they like Second Editions? :?

Ta!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I would never fork out £300+ for a book either. I consider myself a reader rather than a collector and am quite happy with reading copies as long as they have the original unabridged texts.

A second impression is a reprint which is identical to the first edition, a second edition may differ from the first e.g. type reset, new cover or new illustrations etc. and if you see a bookseller describing a book as 'first thus' this is also just a reprint, but it should be the first printing of that edition.

Kate.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Thanks Kate Mary! :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Pippa-Stef wrote:£300? £300? :shock:
£300 = about $490

I could buy a computer for that much! Just the other day I saw some brand new XP machines being sold off for $500 at Wal-Mart. Hmm, book vs. computer... book vs. computer... hmm... :idea:
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Add me to the 'any edition, as long as it is unabridged' club. To call most of my EBs shabby would be to flatter them. I've also noticed transcripts that sometimes float around the internet for certain vintage out of print authors. This is probably an ethical issue for many people, but while incredibly rare books remain out of print, there will always be a demand for electronic text versions, I suppose.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I’m not fussy either. If I was, I still wouldn’t have a complete set of Methuen Find Outers as most of them are pretty shabby.
However, the other day I felt like reading the Mystery of the Pantomime Cat, and instead of taking the grubby hardback off the shelf, I took out my colourful well kept dragon paperback and started reading that. Page 33 has a printer’s fault – it is abnormally large and has to be folded in.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Okay, a new record, surely?

Mystery Island - Starting at $1,500.00

You'd think the seller would at least supply a picture of the goods. I also love how shipping is extra.

And, I was very excited to discover that Tony has been wrong all along about Enid's first published novel:

The Ragamuffin Mystery, written in 1923
Tony Summerfield

Keith Robinson wrote:Okay, a new record, surely?

Mystery Island - Starting at $1,500.00

You'd think the seller would at least supply a picture of the goods. I also love how shipping is extra.

And, I was very excited to discover that Tony has been wrong all along about Enid's first published novel:

The Ragamuffin Mystery, written in 1923
No point in giving a picture for Mystery Island, Keith - this copy doesn't have a wrapper so it would just be plain boards! :lol:

I will need to adjust the Book Listing to put The Ragamuffin Mystery in the proper place!!
Tony Summerfield

Ebay Rip Off Merchant!

How on earth someone can say that the Famous Five books are in the public domain absolutely staggers me. This is a flagrant breach of copyright and I am surprised that ebay haven't stamped on it.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Ebay Rip Off Merchant!

Post by Lucky Star »

Have you reported it to ebay Tony? Sometimes they can be very slow to react on this kind of thing. I note that the seller ssays that the listing "meets all ebay rules and regulations". I wonder why he feels it the need to add that? :roll:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Interesting...hmmm :?:

Guess some folks live in an unreal world. More work for the lawyers, then.

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :?
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Tony Summerfield wrote:How on earth someone can say that the Famous Five books are in the public domain absolutely staggers me. This is a flagrant breach of copyright and I am surprised that ebay haven't stamped on it.
I wonder if ebay are aware of the breach of copyright in this instance. Do you know the procedure for reporting it to them, Tony?
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

The seller hasn't been around for long, only since February. Maybe they are interpreting some rules very liberally. It will be interesting to see how long they stay around.
If what they say was incorrect, and an infringement of copyright has indeed been committed (I'm not a lawyer and therefore cannot have the last word on the issue but if Tony says so that's good enough for me), they are also deceiving their would-be buyers.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"