Five Have a Mystery to Solve Film Show

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
George@Kirrin

Re: Five Have a Mystery to Solve Film Show

Post by George@Kirrin »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:The best bit was young Wilfred getting a lovely big bucket of water tipped over him by Ann. :D
"Well, you did ask for it"

"I never thought you'd give it to me though... Ann, I like you"

Oooh, that made me giggle,

George's "Serves him right" was typical George too, which was great, I'll post a report tomorrow

Now all I can do it... stare at the water...

(you had to be there)

Many thanks for Norman for organising it and lovely to meet all the fellow Blytonians from here

Massive thank you to Lucky Star for making sure this carrot crunching country bumpkin managed to get herself back to KX in time - we don't have many trains on Kirrin you see...
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A few photos of Blytonites in the cafe:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Anita3111 ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*SPOILER WARNING* if you don't want to know the content of the film...

Heh - yes, the quotations highlighted by Zoe raised a lot of laughs! George's comment, "Serves him right!" was uttered when the Five discovered Wilfrid at the bottom of a well. He had fallen in and was on the verge of drowning by the time the others spotted him!

As well as looking small, Dick had a trace of a Cockney-sounding accent. I agree with whoever commented (sorry, can't remember who it was) that he seemed as if he ought to be in Oliver Twist. George, her eyes made up quite heavily with eyeliner and mascara, appeared to have given up any ideas of wanting to look like a boy!

The opening of the film was rather odd. The children and Timmy went to Mrs. Layman's house "for tea" (Dick was already starving when they reached Mrs. Layman's and indeed talked of little but food throughout the film!) Yet when they went in Mrs. Layman handed round a tin of biscuits and told the Five they'd be staying at her house for a few days while she went to look after a relative, and then she left!

Criminals Carlo and Emilio were typical comic villains ("Boo!" *Hiss*) and I very much liked the new character that was introduced - an eccentric and spirited old man named Sir Hugo Blaize, confined to a wheelchair, who added an extra dimension to the story.

Wilfrid called up wild animals (which conveniently came one at a time!) by trilling on his pipe. In a hilarious but entertaining scene, a most obliging badger saved the day! I looked up some information on badger setts and apparently the tunnels are typically about 25-30 centimetres in diameter, so wriggling through them (as Dick and Wilfrid did and the others intended to do) would be some feat! Still, perhaps the badger was some kind of super-badger, rather like those giant striped rabbits which apparently lived "wild" on Whispering Island!

Wilfrid also used a mouse to retrieve a key which was out of reach on the floor on the other side of a door. The boy had jiggled the key out of the lock but obviously hadn't read his Find-Outers books or he'd have slid a piece of paper under the door first!

We've picked out some of the amusing parts but it was a lovely film as far as settings and acting were concerned, nicely-paced and very enjoyable. It was good to watch it knowing that other forumites/Blyton Society members were in the audience, and great to see Norman Wright introducing it. Sue Bell (bookseller who attends the Enid Blyton Day) and her daughter were at the film, having travelled all the way from Penzance, and Imogen Smallwood and Flora Watson were there too.

There were a number of children in the audience and it was heartening to see their response to the film. About halfway through, a lady sitting behind me said to her child, "Are you okay, or is it boring?" The reply was a very enthusiastic "This is great!" I overheard another child asking, "Is there only one part left?" (the story was split into six episodes) and, on being told there were two more parts to come, replying, "Oh, that's good."

We enjoyed our chat in the cafe afterwards and I was delighted to meet William Ferguson, who wrote an article for Journal 39 about using Enid Blyton in the classroom while teaching children in Tajikistan. He said he has used Blyton with children in several different countries and that her books are popular in Serbia.

I got out my Journals this morning as I knew a few of them contained references to the film. Journal 14 contains an article by Darryl Read who played Dick, Journal 15 contains a write-up (by Charles Brand) of the 2001 Enid Blyton Day at which Darryl Read and David Palmer (Julian) gave a talk, and Journal 16 has a picture of a Christmas card sent out by the Children's Film Foundation in 1963, featuring the cast of Five Have a Mystery to Solve.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Oscar Spain
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian (F.F.)

Post by Oscar Spain »

Oh! I´m jealous!
Thank you very much for the photos!
Anita, Could we publish some photos and your nice review in the spanish Enid Blyton site?
http://www.enidblyton.es" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course, properly remarked that are property of you!
Last edited by Oscar Spain on 02 Aug 2009, 09:52, edited 2 times in total.
Oscar P.
Film director / Writer / Medical Student
http://www.delcinealhospital.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Yes, of course. Feel free to use them, Oscar, if you think they'd be of any interest to people.

Anita

Society Member
Oscar Spain
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian (F.F.)

Post by Oscar Spain »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:if you think they'd be of any interest to people.
Very very interested Anita!
Thank you very very much Anita in my name and in all the spanish people who loves Blyton!
Now I´m translating the review, just in 10 minutes I publish!
Thank you again!
Oscar P.
Film director / Writer / Medical Student
http://www.delcinealhospital.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I think that most of us who saw the film yesterday would agree that the two stand out performances came from Dick and Wilfred (sic). A few years ago Darryl Read who played Dick sent me a few photos and I thought you might to see one of the pair of them.

Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Wonderful pictures Anita. Thanks for posting them. And thanks too to Tony for that film still, it captures the pair perfectly.

As Anita said Five Have a Mystery to Solve was a very enjoyable film. It was fast paced, exciting, pretty well acted and totally redolant of those Saturday morning picture shows for which it was originally made. It didn't stick rigidly to the book's plot and when I first heard that I was a little apprehensive about what they were going to do to the book. I need not have worried however, the director fleshed out the film tremendously with the introduction of Sir Hugo Blaize and the developing of the two villains Carlo and Emilio.

The child actors were all very good though, as Tony said, the two who stood out were Dick and Wilfrid. I rather felt that those two actors should have reversed thir roles. In the book Wilfrid is the youngest and smallest child, in the film Wilfrid appeared to be about Julians age and Dick was clearly the youngest and smallest. Anne towered over him in at least one scene. :lol: George had pretty definitly outgrown the time when she could pretend to be a boy but otherwise Amanda Coxell played the part well. And Paula Boyd actually rivalled Jennifer Thanisch for the role of Anne. She was wonderful, especially when she turned into a tiger and soaked Wilfrid with a bucket of water. The character of Julian was a bit understated in the film, most of the childrens scenes were dominated by the others, Wilfrid especially became the star of the show. All the best lines appear to have been given to the others. Perhaps the director wasn't a fan of Bossy Julian.

All in all it was an extremely enjoyable afternoon. The only shame now being that I would love to own it on DVD and see it again. Alas that doesn't look that likely at the moment. Afterwards we had a brief chat with Imogen Smallwood who looked very well indeed and Norman Wright before the group in Anita's pics plus Zoe's brother Guy adjourned to a nearby cafe. The Ginger Beer flowed freely and a good old chinwag was had about all manner of Blytonian things. Anyone who like Blyton themed badges will be wanting to pay Viv a visit soon as she showed us a wonderful range that she has had made up. Alas all good things come to an end and the party eventually had to break up at about half past five and head our seperate ways. Zoe and I experienced the joys of The Tube together and got soaked at one point but nothing could dampen that great afternoon. Heres hoping we can do it all again soon. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Nice to see the photo from the film show, Tony. And a nice set of photos from Anita. Sounds like those who saw the film were well impressed reading everyones postings. Nice to hear that Imogen went to the show.

With the small get together afterwards it sounds like everyone had a 'Wonderful Time'. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

I'll post my full review tomorrow, in the meantime, "Where's my hot drink?"
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Has anyone yet mentioned, "You girls get busy and make some cocoa"?! I noticed too that George only poured a splash of milk into the saucepan and that the cocoa was ready incredibly quickly!

We know that the cast were introduced to Enid Blyton. I wonder what she thought of the film? Of course, she wasn't in the best of health and had to give up writing around that time (1963-64).

Anita

Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Giving up writing?

Some might say she should just "Jump To It!!"
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Looks like everyone had a blast! Did anyone manage to sneak a video camera in? :wink:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

After going on and on about how I didn't particularly want to see it, I now wish I had! I had almost decided to go, but the date coincided with family commitments, so I could attend anyway. Thanks Anita et al for the pics and descriptions.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Three more pictures for those who managed to watch the film and those who didn't! :roll:

Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Hurry up with that review Zoe. All I can do in the meantime is stare at the water. :lol:

Thanks for the pics Tony. As it looks unlikely that we'll ever see the film again they are a nice reminder of good it was.

I had also forgotten the scene where The Five decided to light a fire on the island to get warm. Julian. Dick and George then proceeded to sit chatting in the cave while poor Anne scrambled around the beach collecting the driftwood alone. I imagine it was done as a plot device in order to have the boys tell George to forgive Anne but it looked quite funny, almost as if Anne were a servant or something.

Some of the cast have spoken at The day and in the Journal. Did they ever say what they thought of meeting Enid Blyton?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member