Enid at the Knoll House

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Enid at the Knoll House

Post by Lucky Star »

Books, of all varieties, have been constant companions to me for most of my life and the attraction and friendship I have with them never wanes. Every time I visit my parents house I pause to flick through the large pile of my old books which still remain there (not too many of my Blytons survived unfortunately :cry: ).

I have to say though that, so far as I can remember, Blyton is the only author who has inspired me to make a special trip to see where she worked, played and was inspired.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Maybe then, when I'm next asked about my friends, I can turn to my bookshelves and say, "These are my friends!"
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:Maybe then, when I'm next asked about my friends, I can turn to my bookshelves and say, "These are my friends!"
That reminds me of Enid Blyton's remark to literary agent George Greenfield (quoted in his book Enid Blyton), when he made a comment about her children while visiting her at Green Hedges:
"Children?" said Enid. She opened her arms wide, half turning as if to embrace the bookcases on the wall behind. "These are my children."
(Perhaps that's what you were alluding to in your post anyway, Nigel, but there may be people here who hadn't heard that story.)

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Maybe then, when I'm next asked about my friends, I can turn to my bookshelves and say, "These are my friends!"
That reminds me of Enid Blyton's remark to literary agent George Greenfield (quoted in his book Enid Blyton), when he made a comment about her children while visiting her at Green Hedges:
"Children?" said Enid. She opened her arms wide, half turning as if to embrace the bookcases on the wall behind. "These are my children."
(Perhaps that's what you were alluding to in your post anyway, Nigel, but there may be people here who hadn't heard that story.)

Anita
Yes, Anita; that is exactly what I was referring to! I bought (or rather Jane did) a copy of George Greenfield's biography at the Day, and finished reading it in bed, last night!
Society Member