Supersizers go wartime

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Supersizers go wartime

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I was pleasantly suprised by this programme on BBC2 tonight. It was quirky, but gave a good idea about the wartime diet. I had no idea that parafin was sometimes used as a fat substitute, or that it had the effect of a mild laxitive... :shock:

I laughed out loud a few times, and would be worth watching if available.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Re: Supersizers go wartime

Post by Moonraker »

I was totally disappointed with it, and Jane and I could only stick the ridiculous humour for ten minutes. It was a great idea, but completely spoiled in our opinion by those two idiots presenting it. The final straw was when they shovelled all their food in her handbag.

I think I need Lucky Star's boat....
Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Moonraker wrote:I was totally disappointed with it, and Jane and I could only stick the ridiculous humour for ten minutes. It was a great idea, but completely spoiled in our opinion by those two idiots presenting it. The final straw was when they shovelled all their food in her handbag.
Agree - I gave up in the end too. There was a lot of interesting information - the parafin thing fascinated me too - but the constant mumming and gurning of the presenters really annoyed me - just not my type of humour. My final straw was the way they were behaving in front of the Americans - I just found it cringy in the extreme.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I missed this as I was working. However Giles Coren is a restaurant critic for The London Evening Standard newspaper and, as a former worker in the restaurant industry, I often read his articles. He is an insufferable prat in print, God only knows what he must be like in person. This sounds like it could have been a very interesting series. A pity about the presenters.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I watched it, very wary of what the reviews of it had said, and was expecting to see a whole load of S***!

The presenters were awlful prats, but I was interested in what was eaten and how everything was rationed down completely!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

The language in this string! Honestly! :shock: :wink:

Where's Mr Dictionary got to? :roll:
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I was anticipating totally awful, but unlike the F5 cartoon, my expectations were not exceeded, with some bits quite acceptable!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017