Blytonesque house

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Blytonesque house

Post by lizarfau »

The other day, my husband was talking to a client, who had moved into a farmhouse that was built in the early part of the 20th century. He'd wanted an extension built, but when the architect came out to do measurements, things didn't seem to measure up very well. And in the part where the measurements didn't work, they discovered a hollow panel and, behind it, yes ... a secret room! It was about the size of a cupboard, and just contained some old newspapers and a bucket! The fellow doesn't know why it was originally built into the house, but is making good use of it in the most Blytonesque of ways ... To store the computer that holds illegal downloads!

When my husband told me about it, I really, really wanted to own that house ...
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Blytonesque house

Post by Lucky Star »

I'd love to find something like that. Not to likely in an apartment sadly. :cry:

What kind of illegal downloads does the guy have by the way? Sounds rather dodgy to me. :?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

That sounds amazing! I have always dreamt of living in a house with a few secret passages, possibly after reading Enid's books. Unfortunately, the house that I live in at the moment is too small to have any, and half of it is too modern as well, but I can always hope of living in a house with some passages in the future.

However, I am sure that I would use them more legally than for storing illegal downloads!
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Lucky Star wrote:I'd love to find something like that. Not to likely in an apartment sadly. :cry:

What kind of illegal downloads does the guy have by the way? Sounds rather dodgy to me. :?
Current episodes of TV shows that Australia is way behind on, by all accounts. But who knows?! :lol:
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

The people in the house oposite me have a garage, which was built at the same time as the house. It has a metal up-and-over garage door on the front, which cannot now work because they have built a wall behind it. A doorway has been knocked through into the lounge, and a home cinema installed into what was the garage.

Does this count?

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

No! :D
Society Member
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

I'd love to have a house with secret rooms and passages! In fact if I ever had the chance to build my own house, I would include some!
My brother's school has a "secret" underground tunnel connecting one campus to the other. It hasn't been used for decades.
My own school also has an underground passageway that led to (supposedly) the servants quarters from when the school used to be a boarding school. It hasn't been used for over 80 years, but I do know where the passage starts. It took me ages to hunt down its location by researching old historical recrds about the school, but it was well worth it. Apparently according to one girl who won a chance in a raffle to have a peek inside, it has heaps of dusty, cobwebby furniture inside.
Connected to my school is also a very very old house that has a tomb built under it by the man who originally built the house. After he died, the school's nuns lived there for many decades and there used to be all sorts of stories about ghost sightings and such.
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Our local church (St Nicholas, Kings Norton green) has a secret passage going from it to the site of the Mass House (now no longer there) in Masshouse lane, not far from my road. it was re-discovered in the late 1980's during rennovation work in the church grounds, but has since been blocked up, worse luck! :evil:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Sue Webster

Post by Sue Webster »

hi robert , how exciting to read about that secret passage. i`m not sure for certain but i think theres a passage that goes from the old white hart pub in the caldmore area of walsall ( now flats) to the rushall parish church of st michael . under my own church of stmatthew theres an old silurian limestone mine --love to find the entrance! love to explore it ! sue :)
ENID BLYTON BOOKS ARE THE BEST EVER!