Swanage Museum

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Swanage Museum

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

It has come to my attention that an article in the Swanage Avertiser of March 6 2008 states "now her {EB} daughter has written to Swanage Town Council offering memorabillia... to the town" and then goes on to say that the matter has been passed on to the town museum.

I would like to make it clear that I know nothing of this. Furthermore I believe it to be untrue since I gave a talk to the Friends of the Museum only two weeks previously and nothing was said.

It is no secret that I would love to see some sort of tribute to Blyton in Swanage, and a museum would be wonderful, but this is a mystery to me!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Swanage Museum

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It would be lovely if there was a tribute of some kind to Enid Blyton in Swanage, as she did spend a lot of time on holiday there, and book signing in the book shop.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Perhaps its an exhibition in the local museum? Ideally a permanent one but otherwise a summer event of some kind wouold be wonderful. There is'nt any Blyton museum in the country. Sort of strange really when you consider that we have museums of lawnmowers etc in the UK.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It would be the perfect place to exhibit 'The Enid Blyton landscape' painting by Tom Adams, as detailed in Journal No 5 (Spring 1998). It was a portrait of Enid surrounded by characters and scenes from her life and books, and is very impressive even in the black and white photograph of it in the Journal. I've often wished it could be exhibited, as Gillian Baverstock suggests it might be in her article in Journal No 5, but I don't think it ever was.

How lovely it would be to be able to buy prints of this wonderful painting, too: even if only offered to Enid Blyton society members! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member