Sandbanks

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Sandbanks

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

There was a programme on Sandbanks this evening, with further episodes being shown tomorrow and Thursday.

The shots of a castle are of Brownsea Castle on Brownsea Island (Whispering Island), and now a holiday home for employees of John Lewis Partnership. Brownsea is the largest of the islands in Poole Harbour.

The shots of the wilder southern shores of Poole Harbour include the Isle of Purbeck Golf Club, which Blyton owned. To locate where, look out for a very large (almost rectangular) conifer tree which will appear as a dark blob, and is on the golf course. The new (post Blyton) club house is a low brick building with a green roof. Of course, she would have enjoyed the view back over the harbour towards Brownsea and Sandbanks, as described in Five have a Mystery to Solve.

The chalk sea stacks are Old Harry Rocks, and are being blocked by my head in my Avatar which was taken in Swanage, the next town west along the coast, and where Blyton stayed.

Try to ignore Piers Morgan, the WAGS and the Estate Agents (one estimated the view alone as being worth £6 million...) - and let the landscape speak for itself. This programme shows clearly why Blyton loved this corner of Britain.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Sandbanks

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Watched this programme with interest last night, and will watch again today, tomorrow. Been to Sandbanks many times. The houses are out of this world. But 6million for a view, you can sit on the beach for nothing and get the same view. A lovely location though, without doubt.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I mised it last night but will try to watch the coming episodes. Having been there myself I can echo Viv's assertion that this is a most beautiful part of the world. The walk around the cliffs and along the beach from Swanage to Poole harbour is spectacular.

Like Julie though I recommend just going for a walk or sitting on the beach to enjoy the view, no need to spend millions on a house. It just shows how crazy the property markets have gone. I am sure that Enid Blyton would have preferred the views and natural surroundings of the area to have remained open to everyone and not just the super-rich.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I've never been a fan of Sandbanks. Just a load of boring sand!

The jewel in the crown for me is Studland and Swanage. If I had to show a Martian what an English seaside town was like, I'd take him to Swanage.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Watching this programme, last night, the comment made at the end was very interesting. The sea levels are rising, so once that happens, all those beautiful homes will be absolutely worthless.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Last night I was left with a variety of thoughts, such as I was in the wrong business... and how could I make my fortune too... to these people are sorely in need of some of Blyton's values... to I don't think I'd want to deal with them too much anyway!

Then the story of the man who built his house upon the sand also came to mind... and what really infuriated me was the comment that because the houses were expensive, the Environment Agency wold be compelled to defend them against the rising sea; that is my tax money paying for the idiotic decisions of the stinking rich who have no brains but can best afford their own sea defenses :twisted: ...

What wasn't mentioned was that in the 1940s BOAC had their School for Flying Boat pilots at Sandbaks. They would have been a familiar sight to Enid in Swanage, who included sea planes in The Adventurous Four (1941) and The Sea of Adventure (1948)

http://pooleflyingboats.com/index.html" target="_blank

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017