Cash in the Attic

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Tony Summerfield

Cash in the Attic

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I received the email below fron Cliff Watkins today and I thought that this was probably the best place to put it:-

The Baptist Church in Beckenham, located at the end of Elm Road (where Enid lived for some years at no.14) will be on BBC1 Television on Friday, 7th December in the "Cash in the Attic" series where members of the public sell by auction some of their antiques to raise funds for travel, horse lessons, home improvements, a special treat for grand children etc., etc..

Before you wonder where you would find an attic in a church, let me explain. Elm Road Baptist are in the middle of a modernisation programme which would allow its facilities (the church itself, the meeting rooms and the garden) to be of more benefit to the local community. This requires a great deal of money and the BBC approached them about taking part in the programme.

This sees a change from the usual single householder programme format because the Church asked all its members and local people to contribute items for auction from which the most potentially interesting and/or valuable have been selected by BBC antiques experts for auction. The ministers, the Revs. Jim & Julia Binney, received a very large number of trasures and they are hoping that the "Cash in the Attics" will provide sufficient funds to put on a talent show - an example of the many new ventures planned.

Elm Road Baptist is famous as the church where Enid Blyton attended Sunday School and subsequently was baptised. Interestingly, her nephew, the composer Carey Blyton of Bananas in Pyjamas fame also has connections with the church. Some 55 years ago when funds were needed to rebuild the Manse (destroyed in WW2), Carey performed his first gig in the same church hall used by his aunt 50 years earlier. The Blyton connection continues today as the church is where the Beckenham Junior Choir and Youth Voices practise and hold regular concerts. In the repertoire of these singers are several Carey Blyton numbers and their Director, John Webber, knew Carey very well.

Cash in the Attic from Elm Road Baptist Church is on Friday 7th December 2007 on BBC 1 from 12.15 pm to 1.00 pm.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Cash in the Attic

Post by Lucky Star »

Very Interesting, I'll watch it if I can. Thanks Tony.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

How interesting! Will try to record this programme, many thanks.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Must try and remember to watch that.

thanks Tony.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member