The Enid Blyton Dossier

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Tony Summerfield

Re: The Enid Blyton Dossier

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Sadly I think the book has had it as there are so many cheap copies still around, this is what happens if a book is remaindered before it is published! At the time I was working on the book I didn't even have a computer, so I don't have any electronic copy at all.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Tony Summerfield wrote: as there are so many cheap copies still around,
Really? :shock:

I've sold all the ones I had - where can I get hold of more copies :D

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

It is a book that is definitely on my wish list. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Just put a bid in on one on e-bay. Fingers crossed!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Sadly I think the book has had it as there are so many cheap copies still around, this is what happens if a book is remaindered before it is published! At the time I was working on the book I didn't even have a computer, so I don't have any electronic copy at all.
Well,I think if you did produce a digital copy it would fly off the shelves sorry- servers! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

For those that don't know the Dossier was actually the third book in a series published by Hawk. The first two, The Dan Dare Dossier (written by Norman Wright) and The Rupert Dossier (written by Brian Stewart), now fetch healthy prices on the secondhand market. Mike Hughes was the designer for all three and he used the cut out and paste method to produce the final page layout. These pages were then put onto computer by Interactive Vision for the EB Dossier, so I guess that they would have had the only electronic version and as I said earlier they went out of business, and so did Hawk books, shortly after unloading as many copies of the EB Dossier as possible.

There are cheap copies to be found, Viv, as earlier posts in this thread show. I believe the original price was £17.99 and 'Past Times' even had it on sale for this amount, but although one or two copies were sold by Waterstone's, the books never really reached the main bookshops and most turned up at highly reduced prices in remainder shops. I still have about six copies which I have hung onto for 12 years in the hope that they would go up in value when they got scarce, but now, as the expression goes, they are hardly worth the paper they were printed on!

However, copies signed by both authors would be very scarce indeed! :lol:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I bought my copy from Viv, a good few years ago. I must remember to bring mine along to an E.B. Day, so you can sign it for me Tony. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Pippa-Stef wrote:Just put a bid in on one on e-bay. Fingers crossed!
Good job you mentioned that. I was just about to bid against you but I won't now. I can wait. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Wayne Pyer wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:Just put a bid in on one on e-bay. Fingers crossed!
Good job you mentioned that. I was just about to bid against you but I won't now. I can wait. :D
Are you sure we're looking at the same one? :lol:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I also have a copy of "The Rupert Dossier" but I paid the full price for that: £17.99

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

My Enid Blyton Dossier has just arrived! :D

Reviewer: Pete9012S
(with apologies to Mr.Dave Lentcombe! :D )

Took little effort for me to get hold of this book,(there were three or four copies available on ebay,all at very reasonable prices) Was it worth it....well yes it really was worth ordering it...I didnt really know what to expect,but without giving too much away,if you are a true fan of Enid Blyton I really think you need to read Tony Summerfields Enid Blyton Dossier......Without spoiling anything for you everything about this book is simply stunning and the quality of the illustrations is simply superb.Its stands out amongst all the other books about Enid Blyon by miles and miles.In the second chapter 'The Six Boys' page page 13 I feel impelled to warn you that it is very ........

Seriously,this is a lovely sumptuous, lavishly illustrated book.
You can tell it has been put together with love,dedication and devotion.
I'm at a loss to understand why it hasn't and isn't a worldwide best seller about Enid.
I know Tony has explained the problems encountered around its publication etc,but quite frankly if a book of this quality cannot succeed and hasn't been able to have been circulated more widely its a wonder of wonders how some other lesser books have made it onto the worldwide bookshelves.
Anyway,I'm very happy to have finally got my copy,and I don't know how I'm going to keep my hands off reading it until Feb half term!

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

A few months ago I was watching a job lot of Enid Blyton related items, which I think included the Dossier. Unfortunately I forgot to put in a bid, and was surprised that it wasn't sold. I was hoping the seller would relist it but they never did.

Does anyone know if there are likely to be any copies for sale at the Enid Blyton Day?
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Katharine wrote:
Does anyone know if there are likely to be any copies for sale at the Enid Blyton Day?
Probably. I reckon you can buy just about any Blyton related item at the EBS day. The range of books and memorabilia is stunning and has to be seen to be believed. It's so annoying when you forget to bid on an ebay item. I have done that several times and ended up kicking myself. :x
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

It is such a shame that Hawk Books are no more. I have just been browsing their catalogue for 1998/99, it is full of enticing stuff. Oh well, back to Ebay.

http://www.friardale.co.uk/Ephemera/Haw ... 998-99.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

As you can see in the catalogue the Dossier has not got its correct cover picture. It is ridiculous to say that the book was produced in collaboration with the Enid Blyton Company as it had nothing to do with them at all. Some descriptions say that the images are from items belonging to the Enid Blyton Estate - more rubbish as everything came from my collection. It is also worth mentioning that the details sent to the English Catalogue by the publisher listed Brian Stewart as the sole author!