The Enid Blyton Dossier

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: The Enid Blyton Dossier

Post by Ming »

That is sad news indeed. Were you in touch with him after the publication, Tony?

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Tony Summerfield wrote:The Enid Blyton Dossier was published eleven years ago. My co-author on the book was Brian Stewart, and it was with great sadness that I heard about his recent death. For those that would like to know more about Brian I am putting a link to his obituary in today's Guardian.
I'm very sorry to hear this sad news, Tony. My condolences to his wife and sons.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for the link, Tony. It is so sad that Brian was only in his fifties. I noticed reading the link that he also wrote the Dossier on Rupert Bear. I may try and find this book if I can.

I only wish I'd known that he had the art gallery over in Falmouth, I could have gone and paid the gallery a visit. But being around 28/30 miles from me, Falmouth is not a place I visit very often.

I send my condolences to his wife and family.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Very sad. It sounds as though Brian was a fun and friendly person. Condolences to his family and friends.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Ming wrote:That is sad news indeed. Were you in touch with him after the publication, Tony?
Yes, I had stayed in touch with him, Ming. I actually had a Christmas Card from him which arrived after he had died. I became aware that he had died when Robert Tyndall phoned me and told me. I only discovered about the obituary when Sophie and Imogen phoned me this morning and told me. A terrible blow for the family at any time, but especially just before Christmas and my thoughts are with Carole, his wife and their two young children.
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Tony Summerfield wrote:The Enid Blyton Dossier was published eleven years ago. My co-author on the book was Brian Stewart, and it was with great sadness that I heard about his recent death. For those that would like to know more about Brian I am putting a link to his obituary in today's Guardian.
This very sad news about the sad and untimely demise of Brian Stewart. Eleven years ago when my interest in Enid Blyton becccame rekindled, The Blyton Dossier was one of the books I unsuccessfully tried to get hold of this end of the world (USA), but with little success. I was even shocked to learn that Brian was only in his 50s at the time of his demise. Please accept my condolences to his family and may his writing spirit live on forever.
Stephen I.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I wonder how many of us here own or have read a copy of the Enid Blyton Dossier?
I've just bought a copy from ebay for £4.34 no less!
I'm looking forward to reading it on my half term holiday in February if I can stop myself from peeking till then.. :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

pete9012S wrote:I wonder how many of us here own or have read a copy of the Enid Blyton Dossier?
I've just bought a copy from ebay for £4.34 no less!
I'm looking forward to reading it on my half term holiday in February if I can stop myself from peeking till then.. :D
I got my copy from eBay as well, I think I paid about the same for it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I have a copy of it, but I didn't buy it on ebay! :wink:
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I bought mine years ago from a remainder and discount book shop for £2.99. I was well chuffed!

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by poddys »

That's so sad, and way too young.
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
Tony Summerfield

Kate Mary wrote:I bought mine years ago from a remainder and discount book shop for £2.99. I was well chuffed!

Kate
Unfortunately the book got remaindered before it had even been published. The printers in Spain refused to release the book until they were paid. As it was they were the only ones that did get paid, nobody else received a penny. Life may be hard for self-published authors, but it isn't always a bed of roses for a legitimately published author. Interactive Vision who poured a lot of time and money into the setting of the book actually went out of business. Up to that point they had really only produced cards and they were trying to use this book to show potential customers how good a job they could do.

When I first started proofreading it, which is never easy when you are proofing your own work, some pages had almost 100 errors on them, mostly in the captions to the illustrations. It was more difficult as I was the only proofreader as nobody else would have realised if something like a date was wrong. I think after about five proofings I did pick up almost every error, nobody has ever brought anything to my attention! To my lasting regret I did make one major blunder and as is always the way I noticed it as soon as I got my copy of the finished book. I had left out one of the Famous Five short stories and had only listed seven instead of eight, but unlike a website there is absolutely nothing that you can do about it! :oops:
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

I have two copies of The Enid Blyton Dossier. (neither from ebay) One is so I can have a perfect copy and the other one I read over and over often. It is one of my favourite books.

Thanks for your work on this one Tony.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Thanks Sue. Despite al its problems I am just pleased that the book was published. In another thread Stephen Isabirye says he has an electronic version of the book - news to me as I don't think such a thing exists. Amazon also list a paperback version, more rubbish! The cover illustration is also wrong as that was sent by the publisher and without his knowledge Brian and I changed it at the last minute to a Beek Noddy illustration.

For those that like to get 1st editions - there weren't any others at all!!
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by poddys »

Do you think the time is right for an Enid Blyton resurgence in popularity?

I wondered if it might be worth re-working the book, assuming you still have the original data for it, since it's probably a lot easier to publish books these days, especially if it was to be an eBook (pdf format) or for the Kindle.

Just a thought... and it would be easier to update too.

Having said that, there is nothing quite like a hardback version, and even the documents for that ought to be easier to update if there were to be multiple editions as time went on.
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five