Railway writing

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Re: Railway writing

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Until I started making a fuss about Blyton there was absolutely nothing in the whole UK about her to go and see (apart from one Blue Plaque!). Green Hedges is no more, Old Thatch in private ownership, and there is no museum. Here in Dorset everywhere mentioned Thomas Hardy. He stayed in Swanage for one year, wrote one long forgotten book, and the resort mentions him in every bit of tourist literature - with Blyton getting nothing.

I wanted to redress the balance, but with a small budget, no official backing from Chorion, and no cash forthcoming from the local councils, I've done my best. When it comes down to it, I am a shopkeeper with a seasonal gift shop that is smaller than some peoples bathrooms!

Last year I did get some support from both Chorion and the councils when Visit England did their Storybook England promotion. Knocking at doors and saying "there is an £80,000 promotion we could be part of" suddenly gets you listened to!

I would far rather spend my tiny publicity budget on a bit of artwork that will be enjoyed by visiting Blyton fans and get me some media coverage that a boring old ad. in a newspaper. :D

best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Railway writing

Post by Lucky Star »

I think you do a fantastic job Viv, long may you continue. And yes as one who has seen the Famous Five mural and the various models dotted around Corfe Castle I can confirm that they are a great deal more fun than a newspaper ad.

Have you considered comissioning a copy of an original Blyton illustration which is railway related? I'm sure there must be many of them though unfortunately I only have FF ones in my collection which you dont need.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member