The Dangerous Book for Boys

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
tam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five

The Dangerous Book for Boys

Post by tam »

Hello,
Is anyone familiar with this book? It was published in England last year, and is currently very popular in the U.S. My son loves it. At the end it lists must-read books for boys, and The Famous Five and Secret Seven are both on the list. I hope this encourages those in the U.S. to search for Enid Blyton books.
Teresa
Susie

Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys

Post by Susie »

I saw it in Whsmith a book shop here, and I also saw the one for girls, it looked rather interesting.
There is always something else new to learn.
tam

Post by tam »

It's a great book, Susie. It's all about getting boys away from computers and video games, and getting them outside, playing old, classic games, reading good literature. If you know of a boy, it would be a great gift. My son and all of his friends have a copy. I am glad to see they are making one for girls. Now I know what to get my daughter for Christmas. The girl version hasn't made it to the U.S. yet.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I hope the girls version is on the same wave length, as the boys version. It sounds very good. I think I'll have a good look at them both when I am next in Smith's.
The title of the book put me off. It had me thinking what in the world are they teaching kids these days.
tam

Post by tam »

Nah, it's showing boys how to make paper airplanes, tie various knots, read classic literature, make a water bomb, bows and arrows, baseball (in the U.S. version) statistics, identifying trees etc.... Although I did have to make sure the bow and arrow wasn't aimed at his sister.
Susie

Post by Susie »

click on the right hand side of the book to see what's inside. I love the noise as the pages trun over.
http://www.dangerousbookforboys.com/
Aunt Fanny
Favourite character: George

Post by Aunt Fanny »

Please does anyone know the title of the Girl's version? Thanks , liz. :) :?
ARE YOU THE ELDEST? SILKY-ELF.
"She is older than the rocks among which she sits."
Walter Horatio Pater of the Mona Lisa.
DirtyDick
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five on a Hike Together

Post by DirtyDick »

Hi,

I think this is the girls version

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesw ... ku=5783543
tam

Post by tam »

Thanks. I was searching for this book, and didn't have much luck. I think my daughter will like it!
Teresa
Aunt Fanny
Favourite character: George

Post by Aunt Fanny »

Thnaks Dirrty Dick--that looks great-I have yet another birthday coming up (take note, silky!) so may treat myself! Thank you again, Aunt Fanny. :)
Susie

Post by Susie »

I was in the book shop the other day, and I saw the girls version, I was not very enamored with it. I would say that 45% of it is ok, and good for young girls to know, but the rest..... It goes on to teach them awful nasty horrid tricks. (Many toilet tricks) That only they the ones doing it will get enjoyment from.
Another thing was, it said if someone has annoyed you it's ok to give them the french twist of the arm. (Bullying?)
It went on and on in the same vein.
Shocking!

Edit: The girls version of this books quoted above is the Wrong author, as Jen-Jen has written below. It was an easy mistake as both books look very similar. The author we are talking about is Hal Iggulden, not Sarah Vine and somebody Davidson. So all's well that ends well.! :)
Last edited by Susie on 07 Sep 2007, 15:44, edited 3 times in total.
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

Actually I think the official girls version of the book (by the same publishers as the Dangerous Book for Boys) is called The Daring Book for Girls. But it hasn't been published yet - I believe it is coming out in October.
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Susie

Post by Susie »

Jen-Jen wrote:Actually I think the official girls version of the book (by the same publishers as the Dangerous Book for Boys) is called The Daring Book for Girls. But it hasn't been published yet - I believe it is coming out in October.
That is a relief to know, so the book for the girls quoted above is from a diff author well spotted!
:D