Article Niddy Niddy Nod

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Julian
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Famous Five/St Clare's/Wishing Chair
Favourite character: Julian/Janet/Carlotta

Article Niddy Niddy Nod

Post by Julian »

While I was browsing on the net, I came across a most facinating article on Time.
What really surprised me that it was an archive of the article that origionally appeared on Monday, Jan. 10, 1955!

I hope it may interest members: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... -1,00.html" rel="external

:D
  • ♥♣ Møh@mð Hä§åÑ♥♣
Thanks to Nigel for my avatar! :)
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Re: Article Niddy Niddy Nod

Post by RDMorrell »

Many thanks for that link. A fascinating read, indeed! :D

Two sentences particularly stood out for me:
By the time she married Surgeon Kenneth Darrell Waters, she had 500 rejection slips, but was still determined to make writing her career.
No mention of poor old Hugh Pollock there. I thought Enid Blyton was already pretty well established as a writer by the time she married her second husband and had most of her rejection slips in her teens. But I suppose she might have had a few rejection slips subsequently. :? Still, that doesn't seem entirely right to me.

The other intriguing sentence was this:
Some of these older books are really first-rate juvenile thrillers, have achieved such a vogue in the U.S. that public libraries can scarcely keep up with the demand.
Again, rather curious, given that Enid Blyton nowadays seems to be practically unheard of in the US. But perhaps she did enjoy some popularity there in the 1950s?

Anyway, thanks again for this great article!
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Very interesting, Julian/Mohamed. I agree that those two sentences are surprising, Rowan, though funnily enough the only Enid Blyton book that ever won a prize was Mystery Island - the American edition of The Island of Adventure. It was awarded a prize by the Boys' Club of America for being one of the six most popular books of 1947.

As for the Kenneth reference, perhaps the writer of the article thought Kenneth was Enid's first and only husband? That's the impression Enid Blyton gives in her autobiography, The Story of My Life, published in 1952.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

Very interesting article! I was most facinated to read some of those.

Were there more articles written about EB in newspapers in her days? :)
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.