Blyton Bus Tour

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Tony Summerfield

Blyton Bus Tour

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I got the email underneath earlier today.

The Beckenham Blytons' Coach Tour

The above is planned to take place this anniversary year on either Saturday, 4th August or Saturday, 29th September. A vintage single deck bus will be used, typical of those used on the 109/227 route through Beckenham from the 1920's to 1950s.

The proposed tour would begin at Beckenham Junction station (15 - 20 minutes from Victoria Station) at around 10 am. The hired bus will take us to Dulwich to see Enid's birthplace and the church where her parents were married before returning through Penge to note where her mother lived in the 1930's and 1940's and the County School attended by her nephew Carey.

A stop in the Clock House district of Beckenham will enable us to see all of the first 5 homes of Enid, her primary school and Elm Road Baptist Church where we will be applying to hire for a venue, for a buffet lunch, the church hall - the Sunday School attended by Enid and the first gig in which Carey appeared.

In the afternoon, we will see the house purchased by Hanly in 1926 where Carey was born in 1932 and lived until c.1961. Then we will head for Shortlands passing the present St Christopher's School, then the home of the Attenboroughs in Oakwood Avenue and lastly Elfin Cottage; returning to the station around 4 pm..

The above are only outline plans and times at this stage. The cost will about £10 per person. the bus will take a maximum of 40 passengers.

If members of the Enid Blyton Society are interested, please email me - clifford.watkins@onetel.com with your preferred date and the names of any places related to the Blytons that you particularly wish to see and photograph.

Cliff Watkins
Beckenham, Kent
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

It sounds great... but, :( I won't be able to attend in any way! :(

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Re: Blyton Bus Tour

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Tony Summerfield wrote: The Beckenham Blytons' Coach Tour

The above is planned to take place this anniversary year
What's the anniversary?

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Tony Summerfield

75th Anniversary of the birth of Carey Blyton, but I believe he is also influenced by the 110th Anniversary of Enid's birth. I did tell Cliff to avoid the date of Enid's birthday for obvious reasons!!

Tony
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm thinking of going on this tour if I can and I've emailed Clifford to register my interest. Thanks for letting us know, Tony. It would be good to see where Enid Blyton spent the early years of her life. Anyone else considering going?

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

I've also registered my interest.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Sounds very interesting to me also. Not too far from where I live. I'll have to check work times first though.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Tony Summerfield wrote:before returning through Penge
PENGE :!:

WOW :!: :!:

I went to infant school in Penge and haven't been back since 1969.

I've registered interest for the September trip!

Viv
Last edited by Viv of Ginger Pop on 29 Mar 2007, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
The hired bus will take us to Dulwich to see Enid's birthplace
I'm quite often near the place where Enid was born - two of my best friends live nearby.

The (replacement) building really is ugly! I think the shop on the gound floor may be a spare car parts shop. I took a picture a few months ago, with the idea of putting it on the EBS site. But the picture was with my camera phone and I thought I'd wait until I could borrow a friend's camera and take one that could take a more focussed picture. Haven't got round to it thus far! :(
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Tony Summerfield

Viking Star wrote:The (replacement) building really is ugly! I think the shop on the gound floor may be a spare car parts shop.
Did you not see the picture of it that I put in the last Journal?
Susie

Post by Susie »

Tony Summerfield wrote: I did tell Cliff to avoid the date of Enid's birthday for obvious reasons!!
Tony
It's not obvious to me, whats the goss?
There is always something else new to learn.
Julian
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Famous Five/St Clare's/Wishing Chair
Favourite character: Julian/Janet/Carlotta

Post by Julian »

I won't be able to attend the tour anyway!! :cry: :cry:

I wish I was in England! *sigh*
  • ♥♣ Møh@mð Hä§åÑ♥♣
Thanks to Nigel for my avatar! :)
Viv of Ginger Pop

Susie wrote:
Tony Summerfield wrote: I did tell Cliff to avoid the date of Enid's birthday for obvious reasons!!
Tony
It's not obvious to me, whats the goss?
I am holding a splendid Birthday Party for Enid at Corfe Castle on 11th August, and everyone is invited! Volunteers who help out are also rewarded with an after hours BBQ in the castle grounds.

(More pressing are volunteers for the Wishing Chair Day on 31 May. Storytellers, crafty people, and anyone who would like to dress up as a giant or a pixie are vey welcome.... :D )

My website is being revamped, but you can download my events sheet from here http://www.gingerpop.co.uk/whatson.htm There should also be photos from last years Party as well.

Best wishes

Viv
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I have'nt heard anything further about this trip. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it still going ahead or has the idea been dropped I wonder? :?:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

The coach trip isn't going ahead due to a combination of lack of interest and, I beleive, the cost of hiring the coach going up.