Was this and that, now Corfe Castle!

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Was this and that, now Corfe Castle!

Post by Ming »

Hi y'all, I am creating an EB site and was thinking if anyonw would like to help by sending in reviews and stuff. Email me your "helps" to ming.blyton@gmail.com Please help!
Last edited by Ming on 06 Apr 2007, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Sure I'll help if you let me know what sort of thing you want :) which reminds me, I promised to write a review of 1st year at .. for today.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I don't want to put you off, Ming, but I think you will find it difficult to get contributions for your new site. This site has been running for two years now and despite many appeals I haven't been offered a single review (until Moose came along!). All the reviews that we have were either there at the start (we had another site before this one) or I have added them since from old Journals.

The best of luck to you, but it is very difficult to get things unless you take them from other sites and if you do so it might be a good idea to ask permission first!

Best wishes
Tony
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I must agree with Tony, here. I have promised him to do some reviews (I have already contributed to enidblyton.net and written for the Society Journal. I intend to do more (New Year's Resolution?).

Another problem, Ming, is the fact that besides the Society's excellent site, we also have the aforementioned enidblyton.net and heathersblytonpages.com. We also had a regular forum contributor (Julian?) who had a Blyton site up and running - whatever happened to him?

Sorry to be a bit negative, but it will be a marathon, if not impossible task to come anywhere near these sites.

However, I wish you all the luck if you do try, mountains have been known to have been moved in the past!

Good Luck.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Like Nigel, I wonder how your site will differ from the others that are already out there. One way of course would be to make it very personal, so that it reflects your personal opinion and experience of the works of Enid Blyton. Perhaps some of your friends could contribute too. Visitors would probably be interested to know things like the availability of Enid Blyton books in Bangladesh, what young people think of updating the texts, what your favourite books are and whether (as a young person from a different culture) certain things about mid twentieth-century British society - as it is portrayed in Blyton books - strike you as unusual or even puzzling. It would also be interesting to know whether there are any Bangladeshi authors who write mystery/adventure/detective books for children or young adults.

[Nigel:] "We also had a regular forum contributor (Julian?) who had a Blyton site up and running - whatever happened to him?"

I was wondering about him too. Are you still with us, Mohamed/Julian?

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moose

Post by Moose »

Ming, what about widening your subject a bit and having it as all your favourite children's authors? :)
Time to die.

EF
Ming

Post by Ming »

I agree with everyone's comments and suggestions. I had thought I would call the site Updated Blyton and point out bits of updated text and compare them. I also thought I would write out how the stories would be if they were updated too much. I thought I would display the original bookcovers and the recentest editions etc. How about that?

Society Member
maddy

Post by maddy »

Hi Ming, what's the url of your website? I might want to visit and read it!
Updated blyton and comparison of texts? sounds interesting.. but ugh.. pls don't! i, for one, will be very very upset to learn that the books i'm buying aren't the original versions anymore (sob-sob).. Not that i don't know that, of course. I already know that most of the EB books in the market now have already been revised somewhat.. but still, the less i know.. the better it is.. (ignorance is bliss! yeah, it may seem like i'm kidding myself, but then again, i do really want to own my favorite books, and it's pretty impossible to buy old versions of all the books that i'd like to have.. so i guess, i'll just have to make do with the new and revised ones, rather than having none at all.. :(
by the way, what sort of contributions are you looking for? i'll see whether i can help..

p.s: *grumbles*.. why can't they have publications for both the old texts and the revised ones? revised, updated, non-offensive text for little children, and the original text for older kids and/or adults.. (they won't do us any harm.. there are even more offensive stuff in other teen/young-adult/adult fiction...)
Ming

Post by Ming »

It's not yet finished, my plan seemed to have flopped down a bit as what I chose would involve reading two different copies of the same book at the same time! And I had exams to study for. But now that they're finished, I'll start working at once! I'll give the url once I have covered one series.

Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

Please let me of the web address, sounds interesting, just don't let it get in the way of school work. 8)
Last edited by Susie on 05 Feb 2007, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
There is always something else new to learn.
Moose

Post by Moose »

Ming if you want some help I am happy to offer it, whether it's tech help or blurb about the books :)
Time to die.

EF
Ming

Post by Ming »

Thanks Moose. Can you let me know of your email address? Any bits of help from anyone is greatly appreciated!

Society Member
Moose

Post by Moose »

Sure .. Moosemizzz@aol.com three zeds :)
Time to die.

EF
Katie

Post by Katie »

Hi Ming,

I look forward to visiting your website when you get it up and running.

In my heart I know Enid Blyton would be pleased to know you love her stories so much.

I remember when I was about 10 or 11 years old, I started a Enid Blyton fan club and my friends and a few others in the neighbourhood joined.

It didn't work out like my imagination planned it as I couldn't get lots of pictures and things, ( we had no computers or Internet back then lol ) but we sure had a good time at our "club house" ( an old shed way down the back of our house dad said we could use.)

Like in secret seven we had a pass word and on Wednesday afternoons for quiet a while it turned into a secret club house for five of us. :D

We looked for adventures everywhere, but sadly only came upon a few, a missing shoe adventure ( we found it in our dog kennel) and if I remember correctly we made an adventure on the missing chocolate cakes, and my mum solved it when she found the crumbs in my sisters room lol and a few others fun adventures, however sadly nothing we could involve the police in, we really did look hard but very little happened in our small country town :))

You fill your site with what ever makes you feel good about Enid Blyton and this will make it interesting for others and different to others sites :)

I know looking back as an adult that Enid Blyton would have loved to have known how many hours of fun in our club house we all had, all inspired by her writing. These were the reasons she wrote . For young people to enjoy her stories and celebrate her gift in their own way.

I enjoy reading your posts.

Hope you are enjoying developing your site

Many Smiles
Kate
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katie wrote:Hi Ming,

.....but we sure had a good time at our "club house" ( an old shed way down the back of our house dad said we could use.)

Like in secret seven we had a pass word and on Wednesday afternoons for quiet a while it turned into a secret club house for five of us....

I put my love of sheds down to the Secret Seven and Find-Outers. Even at my ripe old age, I just love to sit in my shed! It's a shame I'm on my own (aahhhhh, I hear you cry), and it's too far for Ming, Heather and Anita to come. I suppose Tony could make it...... :wink:
Society Member