The Sniggle-Snoggle Snook & Aunt Gazookaloo!

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

The Sniggle-Snoggle Snook & Aunt Gazookaloo!

Post by pete9012S »

The Sniggle-Snoggle Snook
Story: Sunny Stories No.22 Jun 11, 1937

See also:

The Sniggle-Snoggle Snook
from The Blue Story Book (Methuen 1945)
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... Story+Book

How on earth has this strange titled story passed me by?
Have you read it?
Have we mentioned it on the forums?

Anyway here is the story!

REVIEW - WITH SPOILERS:
REVIEW BY TERRY GUSTAFSON
The Sniggle-Snoggle-Snook

Enid Blyton didn't shy from using some quite outlandish names and if this one's not classed as one of the most outrageous, it still must be reasonably high on the scale.

A Grumpy Goblin has come to live in the pear tree outside Bobby's nursery and this is something the toys aren't too happy about because he's a nuisance. One night he popped his ugly head in the window to complain because the toy train was making a noise running about the nursery and another time he moaned because the humming top was practising its new hum. He also visits every now and again to sit by the fire and has even got into the habit of making the big doll read to him for hours.

It goes further.

He's a borrower, which means the bunny now has no safety-pin for the scarf round his neck because it's been 'borrowed' and not returned by the annoying visitor! The clockwork mouse is plain scared of the Grumpy Goblin because he's been threatened more than once with having his key taken away and the other toys are very angry about this. They can't do much about the problem though because if the Grumpy Goblin is angered he's liable to chase any offenders and assault them.

A meeting is held and as it happens, the golliwog comes up with a marvellous idea and begins working on it that very night whilst the Grumpy Goblin is out visiting his Aunt Gazookaloo. Plasticine is involved and the golliwog does a little fashioning before his plan is put into action the very next night.

A picture of the Sniggle-Snoggle-Snook is included for our edification, and young Bobby is mystified next morning - for good reason. Nothing more to say except ...

There's a happy ending to this tale.
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... Story+Book

Here are some further illustrations from The Blue Book, which I don't think I have seen before:

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: The Sniggle-Snoggle Snook & Aunt Gazookaloo!

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lovely illustrations by Dorothy Wheeler and Eileen Soper. No Betty Maxey though! :wink:

Sniggle-Snoggle-Snook and Aunt Gazookaloo are wonderful names! There's another plasticine monster in the story 'The Smickle-Smockle' (Smickle-Smockle being yet another memorable name).

It's interesting that your copy of the book has the Sniggle-Snoggle-Snook being made by "the black doll", Pete. My 1962 reprint of The Blue Story Book has the Sniggle-Snoggle Snook being made by "the golliwog". I expect the alteration was made for your Dean 1991 edition.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Lovely illustrations Pete.

I felt sure I'd read this story fairly recently, but don't own any of the books it is in.

I'm guessing Enid must have written a similar story?
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Maybe you've read 'The Smickle-Smockle', Katharine, which is also about a plasticine monster?

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sea ... ch=smickle
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Possibly, I do have a book that is in, although it was quite a while ago that I read that particular book.

Still, I know my memory can be a bit erratic at times, and something I think I've read only a few months ago can sometimes be a couple of years!
Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I have never read the Blue Story Book. The stories sound dreadful and so I probably never will.
All I want to read by Enid Blyton is Mystery and Adventure stories with occasional skims through Malory Towers and St Clare’s.
The other books do not appeal which is why I only average a score of 20 on the monthly quiz.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 23:13 Maybe you've read 'The Smickle-Smockle', Katharine, which is also about a plasticine monster?

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sea ... ch=smickle
I don't recall that story at all Anita, thank you.

I will search it out.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I’ve got that story in the Dragon 1981 edition of The Blue Story Book, that still has the golliwog in it. Smashing little story, thanks for bringing it to our notice Pete. The penultimate story in my copy is The Golliwog and the Canary rather The Rag Doll and the Canary, that alteration is not surprising though.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member