Teachers World Letters 1937

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Teachers World Letters 1937

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Courtenay wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 23:01The Two Cats sounded familiar as I started reading it, and I see from the notes above the scanned page that it was reprinted in Five O'Clock Tales, which I bought years ago and still have. As you say, Anita, a simple story but with a strong message. I know when I was growing up, I was always saddened that there seemed to be so much more pressure on people (girls especially) to match up to certain standards of "beauty", rather than to focus on what one could do to help others and to make the world a better place, even in small ways, and I'm afraid that's still pretty much the case today, so that short story is still a relevant one.

Yes, it's still as relevant as ever. I like the fact that it's the "old cook" in 'The Two Cats' who points out to her mistress what's really valuable. Years of hard work and experience have taught her what matters in life. She reminds me of the cook at Mistletoe Farm in the Six Cousins books (Dorcas). When Dorcas's mistress, Linnie, says, "Oh, Dorcas! Mrs. Rose is prettier than ever - she looks years younger than I do! How does she do it?" Dorcas's answer shows how wise and perceptive she is: "She does it by looking after herself so carefully and lovingly, Mam, that she hasn't time to look after anybody else, not even her own children. There's more beauty in your face, seems to me, than there ever was in Mrs. David's - and I'm not talking about skin and eyes and nose now, Mam. I'm talking about character. Your nature's writ plain in your face and makes it beautiful to all your family - yes, and to me too. But you'll look in vain for that kind of beauty in Mrs. David's face."

I wonder if Enid Blyton modelled these cooks on a cook/housekeeper that she knew?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

If she was modelled after a cook she had in service, I wonder if said cook would have said that to Enid Blyton.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

We'll never know!

It's interesting that Linnie refers to Rose as "Mrs. Rose" in front of the cook, using Rose's first name along with her title. Dorcas, however, refers to Rose as "Mrs. David", using her husband's first name along with her title. The latter is slightly more formal, as befits a cook. It also avoids the confusion of both Rose and Linnie being called "Mrs. Longfield".

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I’ve just been catching up with the Teachers World letters. I think in this instance that a garden-room must be a summer-house. Is it known if there was a summer-house at Old Thatch?

The poem ‘My Legs’ is delightful, Enid’s poems are as good (and frequently better) as any by A A Milne in “When We Were Very Young” or “Now We Are Six”.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Some of Enid Blyton's poems remind me of A. A. Milne's too, Kate.

I don't know whether Old Thatch had a summer-house but it's certainly a possibility.

This week's story, 'The School Zoo', is delightful. I'd have loved to have an afternoon like that in school when I was little. I had fun doing the word puzzle too.

Like Enid, I'm enjoying seeing nodding daffodils and carpets of crocuses as I go out and about. They're some of my favourite flowers.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1522

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Absolutely delightful letters this week. I loved the story of "The School Zoo" too, although I hope if any class did that in today's world, it would be a free range zoo! :wink: Lovely touch at the end to have even the headmaster join in with the fun.

I haven't seen many crocuses so far this year, but there are more daffodils out now in people's gardens, especially the little Tete-a-Tete variety. It's only fairly recently that I found out that the place where William Wordsworth and his sister Dorothy saw that famous "host of golden daffodils" was in fact by Ullswater, in the north-east of the Lake District — I visited there last year, but in autumn, not in daffodil season. I'm not sure I will have time to get up there this month while there are still daffodils flowering, but I'm hoping to get to Windermere in a couple of weeks' time, so maybe there will be some there? :D My mum used to read Wordsworth's poem when I was little — actually, I think she could quote it by heart from her own school days. Of course, though, that was back in Australia, and our daffodils there won't be flowering till September! ;)

A bit unfortunate about schools ordering Bobs' books and not giving their full address. I actually laughed out loud at his comment: "I'm very worried about one parcel. It came back to me — so please will Southville Prep. School write and tell me their full address? There are 24 books waiting for them, and nobody knows where Southville is. I do hope it's got a county. If it hasn't, it had better move to one, hadn't it?"

(Thanks to the wonders of Google — which of course Enid didn't have access to — I've determined that Southville is in fact a suburb of Bristol, and it does have a primary school. That said, there's another Southville Primary School in Feltham, just west of London, so it could have been either of those, if they were around in 1937...)

EDIT: And I've just managed to work out the word square sent in by Patricia of Middle Farm House, Compton Dundon, near Somerton! (Lovely place name.) It was a little difficult at first, especially as one of the words is quite an old-fashioned one, not much used these days (although those who went to Sunday School may know it). A very clever little puzzle. Has anyone else here solved it yet? :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Enid Blyton rarely includes a motto but I like it when she does. This week's is one I hadn't heard before - "No man is so tall that he need never stretch himself, so small he need never stoop!"

'The Fidgets' isn't much of a story (it's interesting that a teacher had asked Enid Blyton to write a story on that theme) but the poem 'Ch-Ch-Ch!' would be great fun for a group of children to act out.

I chuckled at Enid's remark that "It is raining enough to float the Queen Mary to-day!" The Queen Mary was relatively new in 1937, having sailed on her maiden voyage in 1936, and Enid Blyton was to sail on her with Kenneth in 1948.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1523

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

A good motto once again - "Nature has given a man one tongue but two ears, that he may hear twice as much as he speaks!"

I enjoyed doing the riddle (it took me quite some time!) sent in by Betty Buttle (what a great name!)

We get a lot of chiff-chaffs here but I haven't seen any ladybirds yet this year. I saw my first butterflies of 2024 this week though - a Peacock and a Brimstone.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1524

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Enid Blyton includes a photo of Gillian this time, describing her as having "golden hair and blue eyes" and saying that she loves "animals and birds and flowers."

I've read 'The Surprising Easter Egg' before but it's a lovely story.

The poem 'Spring Heralds' is special to me because it takes me back to when I did a project on 'Renewal' at school. In one section I collected together some poems and passages on the theme of renewal, copied them out and illustrated them. Among other things I included the opening paragraphs of The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame, in which Mole abandons his spring-cleaning and goes out to see the world coming to life in the spring sunshine - and I also included Enid Blyton's 'Spring Heralds'.

I didn't know this before:
...the pussy-willow grows two different flowers, on two different trees!...One flower holds the yellow pollen, and that is what makes the golden pussy-palm or willow such a lovely colour. The other is the seed-box catkin flower, and as it has no yellow pollen powder, it does not turn yellow, but grows up green.
I may be a lot older than twelve, but I'm still learning things from Enid Blyton!

In her letter, Enid refers to her story about Dumpy the pixie and beech-buds - but that's not the story that is printed! I expect her editor swapped things round!

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1525

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Lovely picture of Gillian, shame it had to be split in two but I have seen it elsewhere. Interesting to read about the pussy-palm, especially as it’s Palm Sunday.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Aha - here's the story about Dumpy that Enid referred to last time!

We were talking about marzipan eggs in another thread the other day, but the one that Bobs describes in his letter sounds a bit different - "It is made of marzipan in pink and white with chocolate inside."

I enjoyed the Word Square the other week, and this week's is fun too - and the animal puzzle.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1526

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I wonder who suggested altering Mr. Widdle to Mr. Twiddle! Bobs' response to 'Mr. Widdle's Good Deed' reminds me that Enid Blyton wrote a similar story about Mister Meddle, in which he is told to mind a bull!

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1527

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I was interested this week to learn that water snails lay their eggs in strips of jelly, and that the baby water snails grow in the jelly until they're developed enough to crawl out.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1528

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I enjoyed reading 'The Bunch of Carrots', which is a simple tale with a clear moral. The poem 'Spring' is lovely, painting a vivid picture of the season.

Unlike Enid Blyton, we're having a cold April in the UK this year and there's little danger of getting sunburnt like Imogen!

Enid's cowslips sound beautiful, and she's lucky to have swans nesting in her garden too.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1529

Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 20:14 she's lucky to have swans nesting in her garden too.
Just as long as she remembers they belong to the King (or Queen Regnant) and not her ;)