Short Stories by Enid Blyton

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Short Stories by Enid Blyton

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Although Enid Blyton stories usually end with everything being resolved in a satisfactory way, there are certainly some "shivery" moments. But those moments are enjoyably scary/sinister/solemn because the reader knows that everything will be put right in the end. 'The Boy Who Was Too Clever' is something of an exception to that general rule though, and I consider it to be one of Enid's darkest tales.

In answer to your question, Snehalatha, I'm in my early forties, live in the UK and have two teenage children. I love children's books (and classics by authors like Charles Dickens and D. H. Lawrence), musicals and picnics.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Thanl you Anita.I have written about myself-in ''Introduce Yourself''-I am in my very late 50's.If I was working as a teacher I would retire next year.But since I teach children at home--no retirement I have two grown up sons --one in Florida--U.S.A.The younger one returned from U.K .after Masters.He was in Blyton country for a year.Although I hardly any Enid Blyton story I cannot remember ''The boy who was too clever.''Could you please ,kindly tell me which book it is from Thank you Anita.
Nair Snehalatha

While typing out messages I am missing out words..sometimes some network problem.Anita,, have you read ''The Put'em Rights''?Its about a group of children who form a band and go round trying to put wrong things things right.How they succeed and where they go wrong makes lovely reading.It's a must read.
Nair Snehalatha

The greatest fact about Enid Blyton is the reader is absolutely sure that it will all end happily--the wrong doers are punished and goodness triumphs.That is wher her books are all so ''sunshiny''--Mr Goon--the village bobby,tries to outwit the Find Outers but is never able to.Inspector Jenks always sticks up for the Find Outers and tells Fatty to grow up fast--''I need a right hand man ,you know.''I love these b --lovely tidbits.I hope everyone can understand what I mean--I find it difficult to express the great love I have for Blyton.If I have another I hope God makes me born as one of the lovely Enid Blyton characters.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Nair Snehalatha wrote:.I hope everyone can understand what I mean--I find it difficult to express the great love I have for Blyton.If I have another I hope God makes me born as one of the lovely Enid Blyton characters.
Now you are entering the realms of fantasy I think. :)
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Or Buddhism, and perhaps Hinduism (I don't know for sure whether Hinduism has reincarnation in their teachings).

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I can happily go along with the idea of reincarnation Ming - but of a character from a book? That was the fantasy I was referring to!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

I don't know--Ming and Daisy--I love to fancy things--and who knows? it cann come true.Yes,,Hinduism has reincarnation.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Yes, I have read The Put-Em-Rights, Snehalatha. It's a compelling book and a fascinating comment on the society of the time.

'The Boy Who Was Too Clever' is in A Second Book of Naughty Children.

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Thank you so much--Anita.I shall read it today--among the library of Enid Blyton I have ,there is The Secnd Book Of Naughty Children''.Have you read The Land Of Far-Beyond?Its about a group of people living in a country where there is so much of created misery.They find themselves with burdens on their backs which has grown on them .Blyton personifies all the virtues and vices of man.What happens to the travellers with their grown -on burdens --how they get rid of them---{but do they all?} makes great reading Only Enid can write that way.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

The Land of Far-Beyond is a stirring tale, loosely modelled on John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress. However, like some of the other books you've mentioned it's a full-length novel and probably already has a thread of its own under "The Books".

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Scroll down and add 8 years:

http://www.enidblyton.net/about-this-website.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Anita--The Land Of Far Beyond..is based on ''the Pilgrims progress''.There mustt be a thread but I don't know how to go ab0out it.Have you read Enid Blyton's '' Picnic Party'' 13 children are invited and there is a story forr each one.The story party was also there.All honest and true stories. You too become one of the guests.
Nair Snehalatha

Among the hundreds of Enid Blytons I have read and still do ,there are so many stories of Santa Claus. I just adore them.Santa Claus the fat,jolly kindly old man--whom the pen of Blyton has made alive for the Enid Blyton lovers.''The Green Story Book'' has ''Santa Claus Makes A Mistake''--about Santa Claus getting into the wrong chimney ,and meeting the children there.--a delightful little story.
Nair Snehalatha

Yes Anita--I have read ''The Boy Who Was Too Clever''--He really deserved what he got.It reminds me of a very famous fable-- ''The fisherman and the magic fish--or something like that.--his wife was too greedy.