Feraling Hill - How many references?

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Feraling Hill - How many references?

Post by pete9012S »

I wonder if Feraling Hill was a real place or simply a product of Enid's active imagination?
It seems to pop up a number of times in Enid's early work:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... d+Whispers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Teachers World
Volume XXIX. Issue 961. Evans Brothers. April 25, 1923.
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... e&perid=59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Golden Promise (p 731) (ill Phyllis Chase) (written 8/12/25)
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... &perid=222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also:
Off to the Land of Tiddlywinks! (p viii) (uncredited) (written 21/1/23)
John and Polly were climbing up Feraling Hill on a very windy day.
(used in The Enid Blyton Book of Fairies [George Newnes, October 1924] )
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... &perid=447" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any more occurrences?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Feraling Hill - How many references?

Post by Lucky Star »

I have no other occurrences to report but that story about the New Year was a wonderful little read. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

pete9012S wrote:I wonder if Feraling Hill was a real place or simply a product of Enid's active imagination?
It seems to pop up a number of times in Enid's early work:
As no place of that name seems to exist if you search for it on Google maps, then I would think it has to be one of Enid's fictitious names, Pete.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

A little bit more digging reveals:
The Schoolmistress
Volume LXXXV. Issue 2189. Walter Isaac. November 8, 1923.
Supplement
Off to the Land of Tiddlywinks! (p viii) (uncredited) (written 21/1/23)
John and Polly were climbing up Feraling Hill on a very windy day.
(used in The Enid Blyton Book of Fairies [George Newnes, October 1924] )
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... &perid=447" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

27.Off to the Land of Tiddlywinks
Story: The Schoolmistress Nov 8, 1923
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... of+Fairies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

REVIEW BY TERRY GUSTAFSON:
John and Polly climb up Feraling Hill on a windy day. They find a kite and Polly, like the meddlesome golliwog, is hoisted up into the air when she holds the kite by herself for a few seconds. She disappears. A Brownie makes an appearance and John learns from him that the kite belongs to the Yellow Giant so it now looks as if the boy has a trip ahead of him. With a little instruction from the Brownie there's a trip to The Land of Tiddlywinks where Polly is supposed to have landed but not before he's met some Rollarounds, which are things like India-rubber balls that talk in a squeaking sort of way. There's a journey in a boat that floats past colourful caves and then past fields full of wonderful flowers that talk to each other and there's a meeting with Giant Certain-sure who helps John on his way as he continues to search for his lost sister.
There are plenty of strange words for characters' names or for various incantations. Acrall-da-farray (The Green Necklace, and The Land of great Stupids) is definitely in that category and it might be that in trying so hard to come up with something incredibly exotic the result was a little over the top. The name Zani (The Tenth Task) sounded almost as if it had come from some Norse Legend or Greek myth. Dobbadies is another weird word. Morfael! Is that of Celtic origin? Someone called Caryll took Pamela to Fairyland (Prisoners of the Dobbadies) and there are also gnomes called Karin and Garin. There are two characters with quite similar names – a brownie called Binkity and a gnome called Pinkity (A 1925 EB book was entitled Pinkity's Pranks).

Many words in the EB book collection can be classed as typical of the author although they may not necessarily be original. A name such as "Feraling" would always make me think of Enid Blyton (The Land of Tiddlywinks – Feraling Hill). The sound of Fera or Farra like other combinations of letters were recurring - remember the five Farrell children in House-at-the-Corner?
The front and rear endpapers feature a large map of Fairyland drawn by Knowles and designed by Enid Blyton. The map has been commented on a few times in the Forums of The Enid Blyton Society and is occasionally remembered by people who had seen it in the book when they were very young. It's a handy reference to the stories because it contains the various locations mentioned in the book – Roffti's Castle, The Land of the Great Stupids and Mother Ribbony Rose's shop - they all seem to be there.

Thanks to Terry for the excellent info. I don't think Feraling Hill is on the above map?

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Thanks for sharing 'The Little Folk on the Hill' Pete, I've never seen that poem before, (not having a copy of Child Whispers!). I love Enid Blyton's poetry and saw a copy for sale on Stella and Roses site a while ago for £2,100.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Kate Mary.

Bargains do sometimes come up.
I put Rob onto a copy of Silver & Gold a couple of years ago that I think he managed to buy for £10 on ebay!

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I didn't realise Feraling Hill appeared so often in Enid's work. I love the poem, The Little Folk On The Hill.
Society Member