VE Day in Teachers World

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

VE Day in Teachers World

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I think this is from Teachers World

Viv

16 May 1945
Well, VE Day has arrived and will be over by the time you get this letter. Did you have a good time? I hope so. I expect you put out all the flags you had, and wore red, white and blue ribbon in your hair if were a girl and a button hole of it if you were a boy. I have just been out and it made me smile to see how every single child seemed to be wearing something gay and carrying a flag. I have put up my big Union Jack on its high flag pole, and it is waving there gaily in the wind. I have hung out bunting too, so Green Hedges looks quite gay.

On the greens of the nearby villages there are enormous piles of wood waiting to become great bonfires tonight. The figures of Hitler and the rest are on top ready to be burnt. One of these village greens is on top of a hill, and the beacon will flame high so that all the countryside around will see it. That hill has seen many beacons in its time. It has seen flaming beacons to tell of the coming of war hundreds of years ago. It has seen beacons like those of today, telling of peace at last. All through the centuries the countryside has suddenly seen the flames shooting high to tell of great news of some kind. But perhaps the greatest of all is today. I don’t feel as if I’m living in days when magnificent history is made, and neither do you, I expect, but nevertheless we are, and in years to come people will envy those of us who lived today to see the downfall of so much that is terrible, and to welcome peace and goodness into the world once more.

Love to you all from Enid Blyton
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Katharine

Re: VE Day in Teachers World

Post by Katharine »

That's very interesting Viv. Especially the bit about living through history.
Society Member