When The Moon Was Blue - Short Story (1948)

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

When The Moon Was Blue - Short Story (1948)

Post by pete9012S »

Now For A Story - 1948
When the Moon was Blue
Story: Sunny Stories for Little Folks No.243 Aug 1936

I rather fancied reading this story today as I don't remember ever reading it before.
There's probably a good chance you have read it if you are a keen Enid Blyton collector as it's been included in a number of publications since its first outing in Sunny Stories.

As usual, a look at the cave's excellent publication details show the books it has appeared in:
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sea ... n+was+Blue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, enough waffle, here's the story - have you read it? Do you like it? I enjoyed it!

When The Moon Was Blue - Enid Blyton short story

https://imgur.com/a/o3pB3YS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: When The Moon Was Blue - Short Story (1948)

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've read that story before but it's delightful, Pete. Certain elements remind me of The Enid Blyton Book of Fairies and The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies. As a small child, I half believed I might be able to find an entrance to fairyland if I looked hard enough.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: When The Moon Was Blue - Short Story (1948)

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks for sharing that story, Pete. I remember having that one in a short story collection when I was little — When the Moon was Blue and Other Stories, funnily enough! :D

I agree, it's a delightful one, although I find the ending a bit of a let-down when it turns out the stone bunny is back in the pond — what, didn't he really get brought back to life then? :( I guess both Jack and Mary remembering the adventure is enough to prove it wasn't just a dream, but it would have made more sense and been more reassuring, I think, for the bunny to also be missing the next morning, even if the trap door too was no longer there. (Doors into fairyland do have an inconvenient way of disappearing as soon as the grown-ups are around. :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)