80 Years Ago This Month - Sunny Stories 1938

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Moonraker

Re: 80 Years Ago This Month - Sunny Stories 1938

Post by Moonraker »

I have always been fascinated by the gentle sex! :D
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

The five April 1938 issues of Sunny Stories are available, I particularly liked the decorations for the poems Easter Time in No.65 and Gold in No.67. Thanks Tony.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=315" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Excellent as always - thanks, Tony! E. H. Davie's Galliano's Circus cover (Number 65) is extremely attractive and I also love Ernest Aris's comical Brer Rabbit cover (Number 66).

Pamela Ingram's poem 'The Wind' is very good indeed and she must have been delighted to have her work illustrated by E. H. Davie.

It's lovely to see the extra Amelia Jane pictures by Sylvia Venus, and Dorothy Wheeler's Billy-Bob illustrations are exquisite. I particularly like the drawing of the hedgehog next to the title 'The Mysterious Thief' - though I suppose it gives away the ending of the story! Gordon Robinson is great and Grace Lodge's pictures for a couple of the poems are beautiful too, as is Hilda McGavin's illustration for Pauline Tighe's riddle, which I enjoyed solving. The Nursery Rhyme and Happy Families puzzles were fun as well. As a child, I'd love to have coloured in the picture for the 'Kite Flying' Painting Competition (Number 68).

Enid Blyton says in one of her editorial letters that she receives more than a hundred poems and puzzles from readers each week. It must have been quite a job choosing which ones to print!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks as always, Tony — I love the Galliano's Circus cover! :D How exciting to think that the children reading this magazine 80 years ago were getting the first-ever instalment of what became a classic Blyton series and one of my own all-time favourites (and it must be nearly 30 years since I first read it myself with Mum, but never mind that...).

Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It has to be one of the best Sunny Stories covers ever! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

Tony has been busy adding pages from four issues of Sunny Stories for May 1938:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Betty Hinks' poem in issue no. 70 must have pleased Enid very much, a guaranteed winner.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Beautiful issues once again. Thanks for adding them to the Cave, Tony.

'Bobs and His Friends' is an interesting picture-strip as we get to meet Judy the puppy, as well as a black cat with a non-PC name which was commonly used for black cats and dogs at the time. In issue 70 Bobs makes the same joke about "the month of May" that he made previously in a letter in Teachers World!

What a stunning illustration by Doris E. White for the cover of issue 70. Grace Lodge's picture for the poem 'Stand Up, Rollo!' (issue 71) is wonderful too - so full of life and cheer.

'Mary Polished Too Well!' caught my eye because of the poor man whose foot is bandaged and supported using a sling around his neck because of the gout. Crikey!

Betty Hinks' poem about Sunny Stories is excellent, attractively illustrated by E. H. Davie. I also enjoyed Alison Cowie's Ridldle-Me-Ree and the 'Hiking' puzzle with anagrams of towns.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I like the cover of Issue 69 showing Pippity pouring water down the chimney but, unfortunately, the artist is uncredited. However, I got all the answers to the puzzle where you had to work out the animals from the clues in the squares.
Society Member
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

Another selection from Sunny Stories for June, I loved the poem Buttercup Gold in issue no.74, which I hadn't seen before as I don't have the Buttercup Story Book and My New Watch in issue 76 is a super poem too. I appreciate being able to have a closer view of the cover illustrations, some of them are superb.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=324" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Excellent as always! Thanks for putting these gems in the Cave, Tony.

I still find myself replying "Yes" to Enid's question in her editorial - "Would you like to live in a caravan?" I was envious of Jimmy and Lotta when I was a child and wished I could belong to a circus, perform clever tricks and travel from place to place in a cosy caravan.

The 'Bobs and His Friends' strips are amusing and I agree with Kate that 'Buttercup Gold!' is a super poem. The illustration for 'Buttercup Gold!' is uncredited but it looks like E. H. Davie to me.

It took me a while to work out the answer to Donald Logan's riddle (Issue 73)!

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Just been looking at the issues from June 10 1938 to July 8 1938 as I'm not sure that I got through all of them before:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/mag ... ?magid=325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's interesting to read Enid Blyton's own words about her book The Children's Garden (Issue 74), including her remark about Gillian - "Gillian has been reading it, and dear me! what a lot of new tools I have had to buy her!"

In a later editorial (Issue 76) we have a rare admonishment when Enid says to her readers, "Do you know, some of you haven't been very fair, and have sent in poems that you didn't make up yourself. Please don't do that, because I usually know. You must always play fair in everything."

I'm impressed by E. H. Davie's delightful and varied illustrations as always.

'The Naughty Boy' (Issue 75) is a most entertaining poem, as is 'The Sad Story of Mrs. Mouse's Mushroom House' (Issue 76) - especially the last line! :lol:

Regarding rhymes sent in by readers, I particularly like Esme Nicole's sweet and heartfelt poem called 'My Granny' (Issue 78).

Lovely stuff - I feel I've had the chance to step back into the past for a while!

Society Member
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

Thank you for the reminder Anita, it's good to revisit Sunny Stories there are some uncollected gems in its pages. I'm particularly fond of the little picture strip stories.

Society Member